Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 11:56 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times

Advertisements

These people are misguided.

The tea party raises hell about the Fed Gov bailing out the banks, and the liberals call them all kinds of nasty things.

Then the Occupy Wall Street people raise hell about the banks getting bailed out, and the liberals love them.

Do the liberals know that the active party in the bailout was the Fed Gov, not the banks? Are they so uneducated that they can't see that they elected the people that caused this to happen?

Do the liberals know that the Fed Gov forced many of those banks to take the money? Yes, forced. If a bank did not need/want the money, the Fed Gov did not want them to look better then the other banks.

I wonder if the liberals know that the Fed Gov changed the rules on lending so that banks had to keep more in reserve to cover loans... meaning that the banks are not allowed to loan as much as the did before.

I wonder if any of the liberals ever read the crazy laws at all? The laws that the people they elected, created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 12:23 PM

270 posts, read 506,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

The tea party raises hell about the Fed Gov bailing out the banks, and the liberals call them all kinds of nasty things.

Then the Occupy Wall Street people raise hell about the banks getting bailed out, and the liberals love them.

Do the liberals know that the active party in the bailout was the Fed Gov, not the banks? Are they so uneducated that they can't see that they elected the people that caused this to happen?

Do the liberals know that the Fed Gov forced many of those banks to take the money? Yes, forced. If a bank did not need/want the money, the Fed Gov did not want them to look better then the other banks.

I wonder if the liberals know that the Fed Gov changed the rules on lending so that banks had to keep more in reserve to cover loans... meaning that the banks are not allowed to loan as much as the did before.

I wonder if any of the liberals ever read the crazy laws at all? The laws that the people they elected, created.

I have read that most complaining is about NOT the bailouts BUT the exorbitant "bonus" moneys paid to BANK executives following the bailout NEEDS. The premise of "party" affiliations always seem to be more important as a basis to point fingers, rather than RESOLVE issues. Perhaps, that may predicate the LACK of agreement in Congress and actually start helping our ENTIRE population make progress . It is like two parents beating up each other while the children starve to death.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:44 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
From what I've seen so far, the OWS folks are angry with both parties. They hate that our government and supreme court has been bought, and that lobbyists have far too much control over legislation that is passed. I agree with the OWS folks on that. My issue with the OWS folks is that they are focusing their rage mostly at wall st. and corporations. I really wish they would also focus their rage at the federal reserve bank and government. It's obvious government, the federal reserve bank, wall st. and corporations are nothing more than bedfellows.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

I assure you: Mohammed El-Erian, who wrote the letter I quoted earlier, is not a liberal ... nor is he an idiot.

And I would ask: who do the politicians, right and left both, really work for? The people? Or the bankers? Where do they get their financial support to run for office? Who do they need to serve to stay in office? ... yeah, that's right ... it has always been so.

Listen, to keep this relevant to Hawaii: this state is an uniquely interesting place with regard to these protests. On the one hand Wall St. doesn't have much of any kind of activities in Hawaii. Yet the people of Hawaii are deeply impacted in poverty as a result of opulence elsewhere dominating the land in Hawaii. --- On the other hand, the people of Hawaii have a tradition of seeing themselves very separated from the rest of America. Not a lot of intense concern with most mainland issues. So, watching to see whether this protest becomes much of a movement here will be interesting to me.

Moderator interpose: As Nullgeo pointed out, keeping this thread about Hawaii is paramount. To visit the national take please visit the Politics and Other Controversies forum. Thanks

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-17-2011 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-18-2011, 02:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,967,460 times
Photos of Kaua'i's Occupy Wall Street Demonstration on Saturday, Oct 16:

Occupy Kuhio Hwy | A Kauai Blog

Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
I'm pretty sure the same folks in the video below will be protesting the APEC conference next month.

Occupy Wall Street Honolulu March October 15, 2011 - YouTube

Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
The "occupy" events which have been happening in Hilo seem to only be of several hours duration. They protest for two hours on Thursday afternoons if you'd like to go join in. I think it's between 4:00 to 6:00 in front of Morgan Stanley in Hilo.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Default more of the 1% respond

"We are the 1% and we stand with the 99%"
'Occupy' protesters find allies among the wealthy - US news - Life - msnbc.com
Even a small group in Hilo?
As I said before, Hawaii is traditionally so removed from mainland movements, will be interesting to see how long any of this will last here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: