Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times

Advertisements

No grandfathering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauaiHiker View Post
Funny how I started bringing up this issue (permits for vacation rentals) in a few threads, and now people are getting a reality check.

BTW, Kaua'i is like Oahu: there are "visitor destination zones" (Princeville, coastal Kapaa, and Poipu) where transient (<30 days) rentals are allowed, and all the rest require a non-conforming use permit that was grandfathered to all the "illegal" rentals (as long as they were paying taxes), but no new ones.

There are activists on the island who are fighting the creep of tourist lodging into residential neighborhoods and agricultural zones. If you look at it from a resident's perspective, a few visitors in a neighborhood aren't a problem, but a large percentage would be. The biggest issue is that running a business in a home drives up the value of the property, and thus inflates the real-estate market for everybody (even those who just want a house to live in).

It sounds like the BI doesn't have these restrictions, what about Maui?

From that real-estate blog that whtviper1 linked to, you can see that anything less than 180 day rental could be considered transient by law. For example if you do 31-day rentals, but don't use a standard lease, then it's pretty obvious you're running a lodging, not long-term rental.
So according to this it does seem to have under 30 day rentals. I'm confused

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
No grandfathering?
Very rarely once the house is sold - and you have no real of knowing until after you buy the house and try to renew the non-comforming rental permit.

There were only 140 or so grandfathered vacation rentals outside of the resort zone - it now numbers about 100 - and there about 2,000 illegal vacation rental properties on Oahu.

Enforcement has been poor - if you pay your taxes they have mostly been looking the other way.

It isn't realistic to think you can purchase a vacation rental in Oahu and rent it for less than 30 days at a time.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Good to know! But how does one know if the space rented is legal or not? Is there a permit that is supposed to be displayed on the premise?

Old 11-20-2012, 08:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Good to know! But how does one know if the space rented is legal or not? Is there a permit that is supposed to be displayed on the premise?
The owner will have what's called a non-conforming rental permit.

Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM

I've never seen one in the places I've rented. I've been coming there for many many decades and read the local newspapers sporadically over the years. I know to look and ask for it now. I don't think too many tourists know this and how will they ever find out if they just find the lodgings from the web, wow. Most of the neighbors were very nice, we are quiet and sleep early, but it might explain one or two slight incidents.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu