Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:20 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

For me, I post on this forum, as I'm a Mainlander who has spent most of my adult life in Asia - Japan and South Korea, for the last 15 years.

I love Asia, but I also feel a pull to someday later live on U.S. soil. Hawaii would keep me in Asia in many ways, while living on U.S. soil at the same time. I also have a wife (Asian) and kids (hapa). I'm white.

I don't know if I could afford Hawaii, but I also like living in small places, apartments, and have no desire for having cars and the big house and such. So, maybe it could work.

I follow the Hawaii forum, because I'm interested in it. I read much more than I respond to. I avoid posting any advice whatsoever that is Hawaii specific, but if it's some univeral discussion/thread or one that falls into Asia-oriented (and few do), than I certainly enjoy the discussion. Generally, I just linger, view, and observe, for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:32 AM

152 posts, read 372,108 times
A great location many rarely hear about, as alternative to Hawaii and NO flight unless you desire not driving there:
Charleston SC area beaches are terrific. All day parking at Folly beach for example is $7, and easy access to Charleston downtown and superb restaurants, King Street and night activities. All area things to do, aircraft carrier museum Yorktown and more , are cheap ! Beaches are your choice of tastes and desires...Folly Beach...characterizes the laid-back, easy-going beach lifestyle. Folly Beach is six miles of beach front and isn't overly commercialized . Isle of Palms, and Sullivan's island . Downtown historic everywhere, also has horse drawn carriage tours of the many beautiful streets and well kept bildings from the pre Civil War era, and historic port. Bahamas cruises also depart from the port.
Three public beaches are within a few minutes' drive from downtown Charleston. Each is distinctly different from the others, and each offers its own special brand of Lowcountry fun and relaxation. What all of the Charleston area beaches have in common is that the waters are generally gentle; the slope is very shallow (walk in a hundred feet and you might only be in water up to your knees); the surface is smooth (no coral, few shells) and the water is greenish-brown with limited visibility (not good for snorkeling). The gentle slope of the beach results in hugely varying tides - the difference between water coverage at low vs high tide can be 50 or more feet, and at lunar high tides some beaches might leave very limited beach space. (Helpful to check tide tables and go out when it's not high tide) Beach water temperatures are at their warmest (85 degrees) from June through September; October and May are also quite
"swimmable" but you will see people in the water and on the beach year-round. Even in the hottest part of the summer, expect the beach to be breezy and cooler and very pleasant. Bring plenty of water, sunscreen and beach chairs (which can be rented) as the sand is solid and probably moist - better for chairs than for towels. You will not find high rise hotels or condo developments on any of the local beaches.

Kiawah Island is unique among the barrier islands, unlike Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach, commercial development is virtually non-existent. This island was meticulously planned to be environmentally sound and very relaxing. A semi-tropical climate hosts alligators (often seen basking in the sun on the banks of Kiawah's many lagoons), sea turtles, bobcats and some very friendly dolphins. Along with over 40 miles of bike trails, there are five world-class golf courses, several tennis courts, and 10 miles of the most beautiful beach on
the Altantic Coast! Other activities available on Kiawah Island include boating, sailing, surfing, parasailing, canoeing, kayaking, shelling, fishing, sightseeing and plenty of wildlife viewing.
The airport shares the runway with the USAF/Joint navy base (think Honolulu-Hickham) and retired/ active duty, may use facilities to shop. many area Plantations are beautiful and have terrific trees with moss hanging, and various year round activities and tours that are astounding. Like living history. Utility costs for residents are 1/3 the kwh costs of Hawaii, and lease rent is more than 50% LESS, with a much greater modern selection and amenities available.

Last edited by OKfine; 02-10-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Charleston SC, 1:44pm 62 degrees. Honolulu Hawaii, 8:44am 73 degrees on the way to 81 degrees later today.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:50 AM

152 posts, read 372,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Charleston SC, 1:44pm 62 degrees. Honolulu Hawaii, 8:44am 73 degrees on the way to 81 degrees later today.

Sure, as it IS winter season in Charleston, BUT, VERY brief. Certainly no snow like the Northeast. Never huge climate shifts either. Too, people are wearing shorts all year as well. I appreciate your weather input, as you seem to sleep on the forum. awaiting a post....instantly... LOL.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:53 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
I appreciate your weather input, as you seem to sleep on the forum. awaiting a post....instantly... LOL.
That's because those of us on company time can keep a close watch on the internet postings. Hawaii is a great place to live!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:26 AM

795 posts, read 1,391,724 times
I think comparing Charleston to Hawaii is a stretch. Not to say anything ill of Charleston of course - a beautiful city. The whole east coast from Charleston south has similar weather, and Charleston culture is colonial American, not even close.

But one thing about that area is the summers can be brutally humid. I love the summers in Honolulu - it's hot, but always dry with a steady breeze, and the rain is infrequent. A/C is more of a convenience than a necessity, like on the east coast.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:40 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,518 times
When I lived in Atlanta, I used to take vacations in Charleston. It is indeed a beautiful city, with plenty to do. For people who are thinking of moving to Hawaii purely because they want some place warmer than wherever they are, and that has good beaches, Charleston (or many other places on the SE coast) is an alternative worth considering. Summers on the SE coast are brutal, however, and for people who love Hawaii for the culture, there's no place exactly like Hawaii. Although, to be fair, my Hawaiian wife loves what little of the South she's visited with me, particularly Savannah. The laid-back attitudes and friendliness of Southerners remind her of Hawaiians.

By the way, this year's HGTV Dream House is on Kiawah Island.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:07 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,724 times
It could very much be a snowbird's paradise. Skip the heat up north in May, then head back to Charleston/Savannah after the leaves fall in October. Now there's a plan.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:52 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,621,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
Sure, as it IS winter season in Charleston, BUT, VERY brief. Certainly no snow like the Northeast.
Charleston and Savannah area great cities with a lot of southern charm and both Kiawah and Hilton Head island are a lot of fun with great beaches and tons of stuff to do. I think HH island actually feels a lot like certain parts of Oahu the way the resorts are all setup... very similar to a Ko'olina or Turtle Bay where they have beach access, golf courses, restaurants etc... all on the resort.

I wouldn't call them similar to Hawaii culturally, demographically, or even that much in terms of weather though. Summer down there is hotter and more humid than HI (temps in the low 90's and dewpoints in the 70's) and it does get down near freezing (occasionally) in the winter. Spring and fall are tremendous though with lots of days in the 70's (partly sunny and 70 would be my perfect day).

The thing about HI in general is that it is not just the weather people like (although it is a definite plus). A lot of folks are drawn to the scenery and the people and you really can't find a comparable thing on the east coast. Although I do find a lot of similarities between "aloha" and "southern hospitality" just in terms of how you treat people and feeling accountable because you may know someone related to whoever you just pissed off, the asian/pacific demographics and dramatic landscape just isn't there. Hawaii just has its own thing going on in that regard. Probably pockets of coastal california are really the only other places that has ever seemed similar to me. Puerto Rico also feels very similar in a lot of ways but it is obviously more of a hispanic vibe culturally.

All I can say about HI is that you really have to live there to appreciate it (good and bad). There is a reason crappy single wall constructed houses in run down neighborhoods cost $800,000. The weather is stable and warm, the scenery is dramatic and beautiful, and the people are generally (not always) friendly and easy going. There is also a pride of place that residents seem to have which you won't find in a lot of other places. If job prospects were better and it wasn't so far out in the middle of the ocean I would probably still be there... but job prospects aren't that good and being 5000 miles from your family sucks so here I am. haha

Last edited by UHgrad; 02-12-2013 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Default Hawa'ii Dreaming

My mother and i moved from honolulu, in 82', because she got a big promotion from her job. And she wantted me to have an relationship with my father. We didnt leave because we hated it etc! Ive always tried to get back. But life has its own course( found my love, had a child, divorce etc. I will be the first to admit that my reality of oahu is from a point of view of a kid, and from the 70s-82'. Now that im single again( my child being college age now) My spirit begs to go back. I have my head in the cloads but my feet firmly on the ground. I agree that some realities ppl need to face(cost of living, fewer jobs etc) But who said you couldnt have pie in the sky 2? I have friends who live there still after 20yrs that say its still a magical place. But i also agree that if your going there to fix things in yourself? Its a dream, no matter where you go there you are!

Theres no argument that Hawa'ii is more expensive(milk,gas,etc) But the cost of housing is catching up here. Sml Studio i rent (800mth) sound fam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: