Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:17 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
Hello all.

I recently was offered a job as a bus driver for The Bus. I am a single guy in mid-20s with no debt outstanding. I know I'd have to live quite modestly, but do you think I cuol dkeep my head above water making $15 per hour in Honolulu?

Any info would be appreciated!
On that hourly wage, no way! I'd suggest you move to one of the cheaper states to make that type of income.

Hawaii has the highest electricity rates in the nation, and the highest gasoline prices. Water/sewer has been going up for several years because of the terrible, crumbing infrastructure.

Now, the taxes have gone up to pay for the multi-Billion dollar rail that will create jobs but do almost nothing to help alleviate traffic, which just made the number one list of congested traffic in the nation.

Hawaiians are fleeing this state for Las Vegas, Arizona and even Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
This thread is from 2007!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:51 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Ah, you are right! Very cool that someone ressurected it in '09, and this year, too because even back in '07 it would have been dang-near impossible to live in Honolulu on fifteen bucks an hour.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 AM

37 posts, read 61,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Ah, you are right! Very cool that someone ressurected it in '09, and this year, too because even back in '07 it would have been dang-near impossible to live in Honolulu on fifteen bucks an hour.
I was making 31K in 2007 and paying $700 rent off Nuuanu on Kauila St (just before the 2nd 711) . Thats around $15.00/hr ish.. I was making it. Had kitchen and bathroom too (and medical and dental)

Just cuz some of y'all can't make it (nor can conceive of anybody doing so) does not make it true...

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Manarii_HNL,

Well, I appreciate your long, thorough post.

It's obvious that many people live exactly like you do in Honolulu. They must, as the statistics alone state that very clearly.

However, on the forum, we seem to be have more of the 1%-er types asking if they can live on 100K in Honolulu.

We all know that many people like yourself are living in Honolulu, so it's great to hear from one of you. I think your message was quite clear as well. It's not easy to live in Honolulu relative to wages available, but it's technically possible.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:54 AM

236 posts, read 648,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, $14 an hour times forty is $560 a week. Minus the 22% income tax so you now have $436.80 per week. Everything you buy on Oahu has a 4.5% tax on it so deduct another 4.5% and you now have $417.14 per week. Four weeks a month is $1,668.57 Take out the $850 for rent and $50 for a monthly bus pass and you now have $768.57 left over for everything else. That's $192.14 per week or $27.44 per day. $5 dollars for breakfast, $7 dollars for lunch and $8 dollars for dinner leaves you with $7.44 cents left over per day. You aren't buying many new clothes, shoes or much of anything else with that much left over per day. This also doesn't budget for things like soap, laundry, toilet paper, etc.

1. You can't say your salary is reduced by 4.5% simply because many items have sales tax. (Does food?)

2. By 22% tax, are you talking federal income tax? If, so that will be completely refunded at the end of the year in that income bracket. May even get some tax credits back to help cover FICA.

3. Might be able to walk/bike to work.

4. This is the biggest one for me: "$5 dollars for breakfast, $7 dollars for lunch and $8 dollars for dinner." I don't know about anyone else, but I could make a dozen eggs cover my breakfast for a week. I assume that's under $5, even in Hawaii. I could make sandwiches for a week for $7 (or simply skip lunch). And I could make dinner for a week for $25 (3 lbs brown rice, large bag frozen chicken, veggies & spices). So that's under $35 weekly, or $5 daily. (I'm amazed that anyone would even think of eating out every day on that salary.)

5. Agreed, you won't be a major fashion plate on $28K anywhere. But you don't really need to be.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
On Oahu, I know a lot of folks who eat out for all meals. They aren't eating well, I don't consider a McD's breakfast sandwich as a valid meal, but it is in the $5 range. At these prices, all folks will be able to afford is fast food. Even plate lunch runs about $7 to $9 these days. There is usually a mini-plate or a bowl selection on the menu which will run about $5, generally, though.

Some of the apartments that you share with room mates are not secure places to leave tasty food around so instead of feeding their room mates, many folks eat out for all meals. Others of them just don't like to cook or haven't made a budget and the $5 per meal doesn't seem like much to them.

Any fast/prepared food is more expensive than basic food made at home. There is never really a good reason to eat out (on a tight budget) beyond simple laziness. You can keep your food locked in your room if your roommates are truly thieves. Or, better yet, you can get better roomates, and pool your resources for even cheaper meals.

You're certainly correct that many people will choose to eat out usually, and spend $20 (or $100) daily on food. But that's not really relevant to whether or not someone can get by on the stated salary. If they're really trying to get by, they can make better decisions.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM

[quote=Manarii_HNL;24554626]So I had temped for about $12/hour from March to May first week, doing "okay" surving, going to dinner here and there, but I have low rent, but I dont have a kitchen, so I have to eat out. It's a catch 22 I guess.
Now I dont have a kitcheh, so I have to eat out most times. When I worked, I allocared myself $25/day, whih I know some of you might say that is expensive. Im a 6'2" guy and built so... But right now I am allocating myself about $15/20 per day, which again, I knw some of you might say....

=QUOTE]

first off, I hope your situation improves. Sucks to be unemployed, or working super-low wages on the temp thing. I've been there.

However, I have to note -- you don't need a kitchen to eat at home. You don't need to cook to eat at home. Most of the stuff I eat is usually raw -- raw fruits and veggies, sometimes with lemon/lime juice & salt/seasonings. Smoothies with banana/milk, maybe egg and protein powder. Canned tuna with onions, etc. Maybe a sandwich. Cereal and milk. And it's actually healthier than prepared food.

All you really need is a fridge (even a mini-fridge) and a blender. And maybe a hot plate, and/or george foreman grill, if you really want to get fancy. (I also really like those Nu-Wave ovens, that would be good.)

Bottom line, eating out is a budget killer. Should be a special treat for anyone on a budget.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Am I the only one wondering - you are in your mid-40's, flat broke, you'll be retiring in 20 years - plan to take unemployment for up to 6 months (as a resident here, I can tell you that really thrills me) - live in a place with no kitchen - have no healthcare - have lived essentially check to check for 7 years - and you think people making $15/hour should move to Hawaii after reading that story?

I don't think he's saying they should, he's just given an honest description of the possibilities, and what it would mean.

That said, you reminded me to add: do NOT sell your 401K. You'll clearly need it when you retire. (to the other poster).

Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7777 View Post
1. You can't say your salary is reduced by 4.5% simply because many items have sales tax. (Does food?)
Look up "general excise tax". Yes, food is taxed... at restaurants, in supermarkets, and everywhere. Medicine is taxed. Visits to your doctor are taxed.

ALL goods and ALL services are taxed. (Which means many items get taxed multiple times... a small store buys a supply of some food item from a wholesaler and pays tax on it. Then the small store re-sells that food item the public, who pays tax on them... it's been taxed twice because it's been sold twice!)

If all of your income gets spent (no savings or investing), then yes the tax in Hawaii is equivalent to a 4.5% decrease in salary. Because absolutely everything you spend your money on is taxed.

If you earn enough that you don't spend it all, then the statement isn't true. That's why some folks say that GET is regressive... it taxes the poor at a higher percentage than the rich, because the poor spend more (usually all) of their income and the rich take most of their income and save or invest it, not spend it. They spend a small fraction, so this additional tax affects a small fraction of the income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu