Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times

Advertisements

How much for a family of three to live comfortably depends on the family. If you share a house with your extended family and eat out at plate lunch places and spend your time on the beach, it will be less expensive than if you rent a house and eat out at fancy places and go for entertainment that costs money.

Do you buy prepared foods that have to be shipped in from somewhere else? That's $$$$. Do you buy ingredients, especially local ingredients, as they are on sale and cook at home? Much less expensive.

Can you commute to work via the bus and just keep one car on hand? Save tons of money that way as well as aggravation of driving in traffic.

How much debt are you starting out with? Make a budget and ask for ballpark Hawaii numbers for line items that you aren't sure about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you share a house with your extended family and eat out at plate lunch places
Gosh, Hotzcatz - I like your posts - but those plate lunches are so freaking unhealthy - you may save on the actual lunch but pay for it in the long run with health problems - I mean, look at the typical person in line for the mystery meat plate lunch - usually really big people. Samoan like. I've driven or walked by a plate lunch places all the time and never see mostly in shape people in line.

Eat salads if you want to go down the cheap eat route. Or the $1 menu at McDonalds.

http://www.gadling.com/2011/10/12/an...n-plate-lunch/

"At its most basic, the plate lunch is two scoops of white rice, a scoop of macaroni salad, thick with mayonnaise, and a serving of meat. Fried, probably, though you can also get two grilled Portuguese sausage patties or a serving of garlic shrimp. Plate lunch typically comes on a flimsy paper or other throwaway plate, or in a Styrofoam container that you can carry across the street to that picnic bench that's makai -- ocean side -- from the food truck. It generates a shocking amount of garbage, the containers, the napkins, the plastic forks and knives. The classic plate lunch is unhealthy, environmentally unfriendly, and awesome."

A one off meal - sure - as a regular diet, probably will kill you early.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:51 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
bleh... McD's

I'd never heard a waitress ask "what kind of starch would you like with that?" until I came here.

Again, a shift in reality. My family is actually beginning to like spam. I'm holding out! *gag*

I love wihat Hotzcatz said there! ^

Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
My family is actually beginning to like spam. I'm holding out!
Keep holding out if you want to live long:

Good for Your Wallet, Bad for Your Health: 5 Cheap Foods to Avoid LearnVest

Spam

Spam is one of the common cheap food staples for anyone who is trying to save some cash. It is a canned, precooked meat mixture that is often referred to as mystery meat.
Why it’s not good for you: A single serving of spam has about 53% of the recommended amount of sodium. It’s high in cholesterol and fat, and it has no nutrients or vitamins.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:09 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Spam .... baaaahhhhh. Knowledgeable home-chefs who use canned meat buy Canned Corned Beef.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:11 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
no way! My mom always made corned beef and cabbage with that stuff and I loved it!

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Did you ever get to Masa's Massive Plate Lunch before they closed down? They used to be across from Likelike Drive Inn but moved to Kalihi after their original location got turned into WalMart or some other big box store. Masa's was a serious plate lunch! Sure, it had the usual two scoop rice and side of potato/mac salad but they'd add in enough meat that you couldn't close the lid and the thing would weigh about five pounds. Total heart attack immediately upon eating it. They were great plate lunches.

Best way to eat plate lunch is with friends. Like two or three friends sharing one plate lunch. Or eat a little bit and take the rest home for dinner and leftovers for breakfast the next morning.

Specially Processed American Meat, what's not to like? Sliced, fried and wrapped in seaweed is a fav.

The whole thing with plate lunches and SPAM is to not eat a whole lot of them. Plate lunch everyday is gonna do you in real quick, same same SPAM, but as an occasional sort of thing it's pretty good. I'd guess that if you eat a Big Mac everyday you'll last about as long as eating a plate lunch every day. Hey, let's get a government grant and study it! We'd probably have to test it on rats or some other unsuspecting victims, though.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:00 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
masa massive plate lunch!!!!!! Now we're talking!!!!!!!!!! I had a crew working in Kalihi on the affordable rental housing across from Farrington, would go by and check on them. One day I stop by as they're having lunch. Plate lunch from Masas..... The legendary, heart stopping, mac/potato 2 scoop rice, 38oz of sodium per mouthful..... MASSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, that was a lot of food, none of it very good, but a lot of food... Vipe would have probably stroked out just driving by the place!!!!

but it was a LOT of food

Luv ya Hotzcatz, the only other person here who was actually here...................

Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Luv ya Hotzcatz, the only other person here who was actually here...................
Really?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Really?
Not to derail things too much, but the majority of the folks who post here haven't lived in Hawaii for more than a couple of years, and have no personal knowledge of what Hawaii was like 10 years ago, let alone 25 years ago.. Just sayin........

Alaho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: