Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:58 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

Well, I know what it's like to move here recently. First (as I've said a dozen times) I wish we had shipped our truck! Then I wonder, if you ship a vehicle can you cram it full of great stuff like dishes, towels, sheets, throw rugs, cookware, cleaning supplies, small end tables... you get the idea. On our flight we could pay for an additional 50# suitcase and I wish we had. It would have been cheaper than buying sheets and towels. And it's cheaper than mailing it. We brought over our most beloved hand tools and a few things.
I had a ton of spices so I put them in zip lock baggies and used a sharpie. Nice to have spices without paying much, though they're cheaper here than in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Then I wonder, if you ship a vehicle can you cram it full of great stuff like dishes, towels, sheets, throw rugs, cookware, cleaning supplies, small end tables...
No need to wonder - your car must be shipped completely empty.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:34 AM

406 posts, read 866,031 times
All I gotta say is LOCOMOCO!

Mickey

Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Not to derail things too much, but the majority of the folks who post here haven't lived in Hawaii for more than a couple of years, and have no personal knowledge of what Hawaii was like 10 years ago, let alone 25 years ago.. Just sayin........

Alaho
You're probably correct. We moved away May 2011, after living on island approx 12 years and after living on island for five (5) years between 1985 to 1990. I remember Masa's but never ate there. I also remember when you had to take the Navy Ferry over to Ford Island because there wasn't a bridge and there definitely wasn't H3 back in the day!

Hope to be back this Summer, for good this time!

Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 6,609 times
Slappysan,

Oahu's prices are similar to living in Los Angeles. I am in the military and was stationed in Hawaii in 1995 and as a private lived quite comfortably (no children at that time). I am planning a move back this year and just recently visited the island last month. I currently live in DC and found the prices to be just a bit higher in Oahu. I am a CPT in the Army and my pay is around 8k a month after taxes. I have a family of 5 and my mother in law (so actually 6), my rent is 2800 a month here and I shop at whole foods and still manage to save 1-3k a month and that is with eating out about once or twice a week (150-200 a meal). That's on my pay alone my husband has a job as well in the military but I pay for the majority of items I even paid cash for my trip to Hawaii last month and stayed at a nice hotel so to say you can't live comfortably on 100K is ridiculous unless you have a bunch of debt. The one caveat to my situation is that my pay will increase due to cost of living allowance for Hawaii but it is only 1k-1.5k. You can make it work don't let debbie downers deter you. Good Luck!

PS BTW the people in Hawaii alone are worth the price, I love the people, culture, and everything about the place. Can't wait to be back home!

Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysg View Post
Slappysan,

Oahu's prices are similar to living in Los Angeles. I am in the military and was stationed in Hawaii in 1995 and as a private lived quite comfortably (no children at that time). I am planning a move back this year and just recently visited the island last month. I currently live in DC and found the prices to be just a bit higher in Oahu. I am a CPT in the Army and my pay is around 8k a month after taxes. I have a family of 5 and my mother in law (so actually 6), my rent is 2800 a month here and I shop at whole foods and still manage to save 1-3k a month and that is with eating out about once or twice a week (150-200 a meal). That's on my pay alone my husband has a job as well in the military but I pay for the majority of items I even paid cash for my trip to Hawaii last month and stayed at a nice hotel so to say you can't live comfortably on 100K is ridiculous unless you have a bunch of debt. The one caveat to my situation is that my pay will increase due to cost of living allowance for Hawaii but it is only 1k-1.5k. You can make it work don't let debbie downers deter you. Good Luck!

PS BTW the people in Hawaii alone are worth the price, I love the people, culture, and everything about the place. Can't wait to be back home!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,517,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockysg View Post
Slappysan,

Oahu's prices are similar to living in Los Angeles. I am in the military and was stationed in Hawaii in 1995 and as a private lived quite comfortably (no children at that time). I am planning a move back this year and just recently visited the island last month. I currently live in DC and found the prices to be just a bit higher in Oahu.
With all due respect, you were stationed on Oahu 18 years ago. Oahu's cost of living is higher than LA's. Oahu's cost of living is more in line with San Francisco. It's very expensive to live on Oahu, nothing is inexpensive. Housing, utilities, food, gas and eating out can turn a sizable pay check into nothing fast.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
1995 and 2013 Hawaii are different creatures. So is living here as a private citizen and having base/gov't benefits.

I find SF to be tons cheaper than here, or, if the same price, you get much more for your dollar.

I have a condo in SF (Diamond Hts) and maintenance is around $450 and I get gym, pool, sauna, hot tub on pristine grounds with a creek and elevated walkways through a forest. Here our maintenance is the same with none of that, and we have to fight for repairs.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find SF to be tons cheaper than here, or, if the same price, you get much more for your dollar.

I have a condo in SF (Diamond Hts) and maintenance is around $450 and I get gym, pool, sauna, hot tub on pristine grounds with a creek and elevated walkways through a forest. Here our maintenance is the same with none of that, and we have to fight for repairs.
That really depends on where in SF - I moved to Hawaii from SF and there are plenty of places where small condo's are over $1,000 sq ft - whether that be South Beach, Russian Hill, Nob Hill, or Pacific Heights. $1,000 sq ft is pretty rare even in Hawaii. And rent in SF has surpassed even the pricey areas of Honolulu.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
That's why I rent it out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: