Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:38 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

I don't like carrying anything (purse, bag, etc), but if I did and I wanted a little weapon, it would be a taser and not pepper spray.

The Home Security Superstore - Peacemaker 14.25" Stun Baton 6M by Streetwise - SWB6000R - Self Defense Products Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Mace is a brand name. Their first product was called "Chemical Mace," (a mace being a club), and was an aerosol spray version of CN tear gas. The name was shortened to Mace and slipped into the public vernacular as a generic term for a chemical spray defensive weapon, even as other products replaced it on the marketplace.

First, the CN products proved to be ineffective aganst people on PCP or some other drugs. Second, CN disperses into a cloud which can affect others than the intended target. As a result a different type of spray was developed based on hot peppers that is called OC (oleoresin capsicum) type, or pepper spray. It can be directed in a stream, it sticks to the target, and it is effective against drug users and animals. This is the only type which is legal to buy and carry in Hawai'i.

Look for the type the mail carriers use. Gun stores carry them, and they are commonly named something like K-9 Defense. Avoid the weaker version carried by WalMart, which is mostly useful for disrupting groups of shoppers on Black Friday.

Last edited by OpenD; 06-01-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-01-2013, 10:54 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't like carrying anything (purse, bag, etc), but if I did and I wanted a little weapon, it would be a taser and not pepper spray.

The Home Security Superstore - Peacemaker 14.25" Stun Baton 6M by Streetwise - SWB6000R - Self Defense Products Online
The very first disclaimer at the bottom of the ad says: Sales prohibited to Hawaii.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercity View Post
this topic reminds me of reading about the sign at british columbia at fort steele campground:
roflmbo!!! :d

Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM

152 posts, read 372,078 times
Default Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
I was wondering where you could buy it here in Honolulu if anybody knew. I am 'considering' picking up some and was curious if anybody knew where. I understand there is no license needed or classes you have to take. Although the info I read is a few years old.

I tell you why I ask this.

I'm walking home last night about 11 pm, and I am on Fort Street in that area between the old Macy's and Ross. I have never felt threatened to be honest and I'm not a petit guy so I can hold my own and I am usually very aware of my surroundings.

So I am walking down the street and in the doorway to the old Macys , this guy is sleeping and he has this dog next to him. Someone sleeping in the doorway downtown is not an unusual sight. Normally when I see a dog, I say Hello and wave to it and I did that. But before I could wave, that dog starts barking and snarling and comes RUNNING towards me. I am not good at what type of dog it is, but it is not a pit bull, but it is pit bull-ish. It was not a poodle but it was pit bullish if that makes sense. And I had just read an article or two recently about pit bulls biting up and attacking passersby. Literally, very recently. So the dog is racing towards me and I am EXPECTING the leash to stop it only to discover there is NO LEASH on that dog. So honestly, I immediately am struck with a fear that this is may happen. The dog gets to me and is literally in attack mode and is at my gym bag, amd I am ready to swing that bag at the dog. Right then owner wakes up and I yell to him "will you control your dog" or something like that and he calls the dog, then I hear him slapping the dog (better than dog get slapped them me get bit).

But I really was sort of shaken not because of a human being, as I feel I could control my situation, but really because of a dog, which I cannot control the situation and I am increasingly seeing dogs around town, especially in tow with a homeless person. Normally they seem sweet and friendly, but you just never know.

I had thought about the potential for this situation for awhile now and wondered what would I do if I see a dog down the street that looks potentially harmful. If I had some sort of spray, I could get it out and feel at least that I had 'something' to protect myself. I don't think I could wrestle the dog and pull its jaws apart if it attacked lol, but increasingly I am seeing more pets out and the owners do not seem quite mentally together. I was truly considering calling the cops and saying there was an unleashed dog about.

any thoughts? Do you have any protection?

There are alternatives. A small plastic spray bottle of clorox (sodium hypochlorite) mixed with water
for threatening dogs (eyes) . Taser rechargeable hand size, and, pepper spray, ASP expandable baton from 12 inches with a snap of the wrist OUT to 18-24 inches metal, foam handle, tap on ground collapses
back into 12 inches. Have a relative ship USPS to you, or, budk in Georgia, all 100% legal. Cheapest is a plastic spray bottle with your mix, of cayenne pepper or hot sauce with water. My choice is all of the above and I have extensive trng in martial arts from S Korea used only when absolutely imperative. Better: avoid areas at night that have unsavory types; or, break their kneecaps if attacked. Disability stickers may be obtained from various sources.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKfine View Post
There are alternatives. A small plastic spray bottle of clorox (sodium hypochlorite) mixed with water for threatening dogs (eyes).
Can permanently blind and cause other injuries. Carrying is not illegal, but actually using something like this an open invitation to to criminal charges or a lawsuit.

Quote:
Taser rechargeable hand size,
By state law in Hawaii "It shall be unlawful for any person, including a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer or licensed dealer, to possess, offer for sale, hold for sale, sell, give, lend or deliver any electric gun such as a stun gun, TASER, stun baton or any other stun device." Self Defense Products Restrictions

Quote:
and, pepper spray,
Legal, as previously noted.

Quote:
ASP expandable baton from 12 inches with a snap of the wrist OUT to 18-24 inches metal, foam handle, tap on ground collapses
back into 12 inches.
Illegal in Hawai'i

Old 06-02-2013, 03:46 PM

106 posts, read 230,218 times
Thanks all. Really appreciate the responses. I think for me the issue is just being prepared. Oddly I am not thinking of the human angle but the animal angle. You can't run from an attacking dog. The type of dog as well influenced my fear. It wasn't a litttle terrier or boxer or poodle or mutt. My first instinct was its pit bullish appearance even though I know it was not one.

I was just reading about the running jogger in Calif who was killed from dog bite wounds when she was attacked.A sherrif caught it happening and chased off the dog who retaliated into the canyon, but then the dog turned around and started to attack the sherrif. Frightening stuff if you don't have any protection.

Just something I have been thinking of lately.

I ll take a look at the gun stores iin Waikiki and see what they have. Maybe sports authority has something. Just to look. I was noticing online at Walmart they have pepper sprays and are awfully cheap from what I thought they would cost on average, although there are a few higher priced ones which may be a different ingredient.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:44 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Read some of the online reviews of the different products before you spend any money. Some of them don't seem to worth bothering with, and would only offer false security. [Google the "product name + review", and "dog repellent review"]

Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manapua12 View Post
I was noticing online at Walmart they have pepper sprays and are awfully cheap from what I thought they would cost on average, although there are a few higher priced ones which may be a different ingredient.
Maybe my little joke obscured the truth I was trying to convey... don't buy a cheapie at WalMart.

In terms of personal defense products, try to remember that what you want to be carrying is not the cheapest product, but the most effective you can afford.

And to give you a frame of reference, one of the highly rated and top selling pepper sprays for dogbite defense is Mace Muzzle (tm), which typically retails between $13 and $16. It comes with both belt and keychain attachments, and velcro for a bike frame, and it delivers 10 1-second bursts to a distance as far as 10'.

So it's not that hard to give yourself a little piece of mind.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
A bit off topic, but this review is the funniest I saw (they rated the repellent a 3 out of possible 5):
Quote:
I carry this product when I walk my dogs, but so far I have not needed to use it. I rate it three as it is great to feel you have something as protection from unfriendly dogs.
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: