Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:15 PM

12 posts, read 15,570 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I've been spending all of the holidays pondering a career decision I will have to make later this month, and needed some advice on the issue. I've spent countless hours going through old threads, and I see people on the site give very blunt advice (something I need regarding this issue).

Currently, I am located in Chicago and just graduated from grad school a couple of months ago. For the past couple of months, I've been on a serious job hunt. Thankfully that may have all come to an end this month. I have to two interviews lined up. One is with the State of Hawaii and the other is with the City of Baltimore. They are pretty much for the same position, its just a Hawaii pays a little better because of the higher cost of living. The job in Hawaii also is a grade higher ( Hawaii analyst II or Baltimore Analyst I).Lets say I get a job offer for both jobs, where should I go?

~NOTES~

. Interviews are going to be done on the phone and Skype.

. Only 25 yr and only child. will have some financially support of parents until Ia'm on my feet

. I love Chicago but I'am so over the snow and the cold. I understand Baltimore has similar weather.

. I Imagine a Chicago lifestyle is prob very similar to a Baltimore. But I am intrigued in living a real authentic Hawaiian lifestyle. But not sure if its worth it, if I am going to be broke and not able to do much.

. My salary would be around 40k or higher for Baltimore, 50k or higher for Hawaii.

. I know my money will go way longer but come on its Hawaii....

. I feel like I could advance my career farther in Hawaii since I starting at a Higher level and I have a masters degree. It would mean I would prob have to live there for a while which I wouldn't have a problem with. Working in Baltimore would give the opportunity to go on to other cities after I have gained some career experience.

. I am really worried about housing in Hawaii, I really just want to spend 1000 to 1500 month on rent. I understand I could get a really nice place in Baltimore for that amount.

. Im worried about how difficult it would be for me to move to Hawaii. Should I even bring a lot of stuff? ( car, furniture, ect...)

I know it sounds like I'am leaning towards Hawaii. But I want to make the smart move. I want to know what would be better for my career and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Have you even been to Hawaii?

Anyway, career wise Baltimore is a logical choice (and winters not as bad as Chicago) - working for the State of Hawaii isn't exactly a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Looking at a Cost of Living calculator keyed to the Consumer Price Index, a $50,000 salary in Honolulu is equivalent to a salary of $24,419 in Baltimore. That's a biggy.

Or to look at it the other way, you'd have to make $66,631 in Honolulu to enjoy the same standard of living as you could have on $40K in Baltimore. Also a biggy.

I suggest that rather than looking at it as an either/or proposition, you evaluate each as yes/no decision. Both might be right. Neither might be right. Maybe the best job for you hasn't responded yet.

In any case, if you were a 25 year old waiter, the choice between the two locations wouldn't be that big a deal, really. But with a brand new Master's Degree under your belt, you have more at stake, and you need to analyze the available choices with an eye to the long term impact of this job on your overall career.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,072,310 times
Baltimore. Then take a vacation to Hawaii [several times], while keeping an eye on future openings there [which would pay more since you'd have experience in Baltimore by then, too.]

Otherwise, I almost think you need to look at this like a 'gap year paid' type of thing...post college adventure, that also happens to give you some career experience/professional growth. But go into open to the idea of having a roommate, sacrificing some living luxuries, etc. It sounds like you want the HI experience, and that certainly makes sense! Also, if you had thought your first job might be longer term, with growth from within, you can consider other paths. Work in HI for a couple of years to enjoy the experience, exposure to another culture, etc. That's invaluable, in my experience, and will serve you well for the rest of your life. And at least you don't have to serve beers in a pub to get that experience, like many of us do post graduation. [unless they enjoy it, of course. To each his own. You do what you gotta do.]

A life long career in the same location does not happen that often anymore, either. So short term experience in Hawaii for a few years is not a bad prospect, in my view.

Question: Is there any way that working in HI would limit your future career options in other states? I have no idea the specifics of your situation, but if the job were specialized somehow to that location, would that impact negatively? That would be a question I'd ask myself. You may need to go with your gut instinct on this one. As my spouse would say 'It's a good problem to have.' [in your case, two viable job options that you are happy about, and family support!] Good luck!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,911 times
Come on! It's Hawaii and you're 25 years old.

You'll be one step ahead of some who relocate to Hawaii, you'll have a job. The YOLO concept comes to play here.

If you don't like it, you'll have some work experience under your belt and you'll get it in one of the more beautiful places on earth.
Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia kinda all the same with regards to culture - may Chicago offering a little more.

If you're serious and can stomach the distance from family - give Hawaii a try!! That's my risk takers' advice!!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Looking at a Cost of Living calculator keyed to the Consumer Price Index, a $50,000 salary in Honolulu is equivalent to a salary of $24,419 in Baltimore. That's a biggy.

Or to look at it the other way, you'd have to make $66,631 in Honolulu to enjoy the same standard of living as you could have on $40K in Baltimore. Also a biggy.

I suggest that rather than looking at it as an either/or proposition, you evaluate each as yes/no decision. Both might be right. Neither might be right. Maybe the best job for you hasn't responded yet.

In any case, if you were a 25 year old waiter, the choice between the two locations wouldn't be that big a deal, really. But with a brand new Master's Degree under your belt, you have more at stake, and you need to analyze the available choices with an eye to the long term impact of this job on your overall career.

Good luck.
Numbers like that are pure BS. They don't take into account the most important thing-- geography.

Baltimore is a ghetto city. It's known as the AIDS capital of the US, and a number of other dubious honors. So of course when you look at the average cost of housing and some other things, it's very low. But you know what Mark Twain said about averages... What's the cost of living for somewhere in Baltimore that is worth living?

The question is whether $50k is enough for Honolulu. Obviously you can't live in Waikiki, but there are places you can live on Oahu that are a lot cheaper. You might have a long commute, but in the future you'll have the option to ride the train.

If you get a job offer with the state for a good salary like $50k, you'd have to be a fool to decline. One poster said to take vacations to Hawaii and then see if the OP can move there in the future. That's ridiculous advice because a) he won't be able to afford trips to Hawaii on a $40k salary and b) he probably will not get another job offer at the state.

BTW you know the state of Hawaii gives you 21 vacation days and 21 sick days a year right? Plus you get a state/federal holiday every month but one. You DO NOT pass up a job offer with the state of Hawaii, especially at such a good pay level.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Hmmm, Businessweek has Baltimore at #23 in best cities to live versus #33 for Honolulu.

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, Businessweek has Baltimore at #23 in best cities to live versus #33 for Honolulu.

America's 50 Best Cities - The Best Places to Live - Businessweek

And Houston is #22. You see what they did? They basically just listed EVERY city in America. How many of those cities do you think the authors visited? Take that kind of article with a grain of salt.

I can call out one thing as a blatant lie... the acreage of parks in Houston. Much of that acreage is what they call flood reservoirs, not actual park land. A huge chunk of one of those reservoirs is about to be clearcut to improve flow. Houston can call it whatever it wants, but to me that's not a park by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Numbers like that are pure BS. They don't take into account the most important thing-- geography.

Baltimore is a ghetto city. It's known as the AIDS capital of the US, and a number of other dubious honors. So of course when you look at the average cost of housing and some other things, it's very low. But you know what Mark Twain said about averages... What's the cost of living for somewhere in Baltimore that is worth living?
That kind of hatchet job is BS. It's like saying that Chicago is not worth considering because of all the gangbangers shooting each other there.

Have you ever been to Baltimore? There's no question that the city has serious challenges, as most of our urban centers do today, but it's not nearly as black & white as your little slamshot would indicate. For example, a quarter of the jobs in the area are STEM jobs... Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. And if some reason the job didn't work out, the OP would be within driving distance of easily 10X as many new opportunities in Baltimore as would be available in Honolulu. And even with whatever discounts you wish to add to the calculation, it still calculates out that $40K in Baltimore is a better offer financially than $50K in Honolulu.

I'll say it again... since the OP has no offers at this point, and might have a 1 in 5 chance at either opening, the smart thing to do right now is to take an in depth and independent look at Baltimore: yes/no? and Honolulu yes/no? They are not linked.

I mean, come on... this is Analysis 101 stuff.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 AM

217 posts, read 640,497 times
But the OP is what, 25 years old? And has a SOLID job offer in Hawaii? I've been to Houston, Balto, AND Honolulu. And the OP is 25! That is WHEN to do something like this! I love Houston, and Baltimore is very nice in the places that it's not very rough (just like ANY city!) but really, at 25 living in a studio apartment or with roommates isn't an inconvenience, it's fun! I know I DON'T live in Hawaii. But as someone who loves adventure, my vote is NOT for Baltimore.

Last edited by kixette; 01-07-2014 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Mistake in reference to OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu