Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:32 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixette View Post
But the OP is what, 25 years old? And has a SOLID job offer in Hawaii?
Nope. He said he has two INTERVIEWS, per Post #1. I estimate an average of 5 candidates will be interviewed for each position, so in gross numbers he has maybe a 40% chance of getting a job from one or the other.

Quote:
I've been to Houston, Balto, AND Honolulu. And the OP is 25! That is WHEN to do something like this! I love Houston, and Baltimore is very nice in the places that it's not very rough (just like ANY city!) but really, at 25 living in a studio apartment or with roommates isn't an inconvenience, it's fun! I know I DON'T live in Hawaii. But as someone who loves adventure, my vote is NOT for Baltimore.
But what if he gets an offer from Baltimore and not from Honolulu? Now is the time to do the research to figure out if Baltimore is someplace he's willing to accept a job in or not, and whether the job is something he really wants.

It's also the time to do the research to figure out if Honolulu is someplace he's willing to accept a job in or not... and yes, I'm serious. So far it sounds like he's dealing with the possibility only in fantasy terms, on what could be called the "tourist brochure" level. White sandy beachs, palm trees, surf boards, lalala... but the harsh realities of working and living in uber-expensive Hawai'i, thousands of miles from anyone you know, as various people have posted about thousands of times on this forum, are that reality isn't like the brochures. And per the principle of "different strokes for different folks," he could be miserable. A lot of people fail at living in Hawai'i and slink on back to the mainland after 6 months or a year or two because they weren't willing to give conscious consideration to all the factors that are right out there in plain sight for all to see.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

181 posts, read 274,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hmmm, Businessweek has Baltimore at #23 in best cities to live versus #33 for Honolulu.
Look at the criteria they used, and you won't be so impressed with Baltimore. "Major professional league and minor league teams, as well as U.S.-based teams belonging to international leagues in that city were included. The greatest weighting was placed on leisure amenities, followed by educational metrics and economic metrics, and then crime and air quality."

In other words, baseball and football were considered more important than whether you could breathe or if you would be mugged and beaten for your sneakers.

My vote would be for the job in Honolulu. If he doesn't like it, there are plenty of places to go on the mainland, and he will be able to show a higher previous grade and income on his resume.

Besides, the farther from DC the better!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:54 AM

181 posts, read 274,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
thousands of miles from anyone you know
For some folks, that's the best reason to go.

But in this case, he's from Chicago, and an only child. He can expect Mom and Dad to be there for Christmas every year, shoveling sand on the beach rather than snow on the sidewalk.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM

12 posts, read 15,591 times
Lol.... Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. To be honest, I still feel like I'am at a crossroad. I definitely do see the financial impact of my decision. The 8 dollars for milk comment hit hard. But I posted the same question on the Baltimore forum and they have brought up some valid points. At times city workers haven't been paid on time, and that's something that bothers me. They also posted a link about the mayors failures which also stood out to me ( I understand no one is ever satisfied with their politician and they do make boneheaded decisions). As a poster pointed out the choice will much easier if I don't get one of the positions, but I know the smart thing to do is to keep applying for other jobs as well. What it comes down to is I do not want to live my life with any regret. I've been thankful to visit a lot of places, and living in Hawaii while I'am still young is something that really seems to pull at me. Having just turned 25 (halfway to 30) I wonder is time for me to start thinking about the future and how much money I could save moving to Baltimore. I must also stress as much as I hate to admit it ,but this there is a key component to my decision.... that is my parents. They are planning on leaving the country and going back to their homeland. They have just been waiting forever for me to be done with school lol. They plan on selling everything off in Chicago and also transferring pensions over to me. I've fought them on this numerous times but being their only child they want to make sure I'am okay. So with that said, it makes each move a tad bit easier.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,943,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toseiacq View Post
Having just turned 25 (halfway to 30) I wonder is time for me to start thinking about the future and how much money I could save moving to Baltimore.
Yes!

Now that is the smartest thing I've read in this forum in a long time - you won't save a dime in Hawaii and you will incur major expenses moving to/from Hawaii.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPilot View Post
For some folks, that's the best reason to go.
And for some folks, the reverse is true. I have friends who live in Baltimore who love it there for many reasons, including the fact that Washington is only about... what? 20 miles away? With all its cultural richness. And Philadelphia is about 50, so the choices for museums and concerts and theater and other entertainments are vast. For some folks that's a big deal. For others, not.

My point is that most people answer questions like the OP's from their own personal standpoint... based on what they think they might do in that situation... whether it fits the OP or not. I prefer to give the OPs factual information to consider, and encourage them to think through the decision rationally, for themselves.

I have no dog in this hunt. Whatever the OP decides will not affect me one way or the other. But I'd like to see the OP get beyond the stereotypes... good and bad... and actually consider the real-world merits of each of the possibilities as they present themselves to him.

EDIT: OK, I see the OP posted while I was writing this, and I see he is being thoughtful about some of the things I was pointing at. I hope he gets an offer or two!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:03 PM

52 posts, read 164,645 times
So, let's just say that Toseiacq does get the job and moves over. If he gets the job, he better! Let's help him out to see how he will make it on $50,000. Working for Honolulu government, where would be the best place to live for under $1500. If he makes 50 and pays 20% tax that leaves $3333 per month. $1500 rent leaves $1833 or $458 per week to live on. If he ships his car over, how much for insurance? No matter what, I think he needs a weekend job, what would be available? If I were him, I'd jump on it! So, how does he make this work?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toseiacq View Post
Lol.... Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. To be honest, I still feel like I'am at a crossroad. I definitely do see the financial impact of my decision. The 8 dollars for milk comment hit hard. But I posted the same question on the Baltimore forum and they have brought up some valid points. At times city workers haven't been paid on time, and that's something that bothers me. They also posted a link about the mayors failures which also stood out to me ( I understand no one is ever satisfied with their politician and they do make boneheaded decisions). As a poster pointed out the choice will much easier if I don't get one of the positions, but I know the smart thing to do is to keep applying for other jobs as well. What it comes down to is I do not want to live my life with any regret. I've been thankful to visit a lot of places, and living in Hawaii while I'am still young is something that really seems to pull at me. Having just turned 25 (halfway to 30) I wonder is time for me to start thinking about the future and how much money I could save moving to Baltimore. I must also stress as much as I hate to admit it ,but this there is a key component to my decision.... that is my parents. They are planning on leaving the country and going back to their homeland. They have just been waiting forever for me to be done with school lol. They plan on selling everything off in Chicago and also transferring pensions over to me. I've fought them on this numerous times but being their only child they want to make sure I'am okay. So with that said, it makes each move a tad bit easier.
There is far more to your future than how much money you can save, and I doubt you'll be saving much in Baltimore on $40k...

Many many people move to Hawaii and spend the rest of their lives here. It's not Swiss Family Robinson or LOST. You're viewing it as a temporary adventure now but there's a good chance if you moved you'd start eventually thinking about it differently. You can't spend your life thinking ahead two steps, without even knowing what step you'll want to take at that point.

Think long term. Don't assume you'll "move on". In 10 years would you rather still be working at the State of Hawaii or at the City of Baltimore? How about 20?

Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 PM

25 posts, read 45,226 times
Choosing Hawaii or Baltimore is like being asked "cake or death?".

Old 01-07-2014, 04:29 PM

7,371 posts, read 16,034,329 times
You can worry about it after you've gotten two solid offers from both. Chances are the universe will choose for you (or you'll do better on one interview than the other).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu