Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:32 PM

27 posts, read 48,788 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I have been reading a ton of posts on here the past few weeks. I've enjoyed Klein5's that has answered a lot of my questions. We are a family of 4 moving to Oahu in December. We have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader. I guess I just need reassurance. I have talked with so many people and have heard the highs and lows about island life. My main concern is the kids if it were just me and the hubs I would be there in a heart beat. We are moving for a job and my husband will be moving over there in 2 weeks, staying with our friends then the kids and I will make the move in Dec. Our friends kids are grown so they have been helpful in many ways but not with the schools.
Okay here are my questions. We are looking at the Waterfront at Ewa Beach. The pics on the website look amazing but I have been told by my friend that those pictures are deceiving. Anyone live in Ewa? I know it is not the most pretty part of the island right? But as far as what you can get for rent it seems decent. Plus my husband will be working in Waipahu so I believe that will only be about 20 minute drive?
Also we have dogs and this seems to be a huge issue- I have already started the whole process and they will join us in March hopefully. The waterfront looked great for dogs and also the townhomes have a tiny fenced in yard. We live on an acre now so I know this will be an adjustment for all!
Anyone have experience with Iroquois Point Elementary? I see that elementary is in the subdivision. I am terrified about what I hear about the school system but am a really involved parent that subs in my kids school now so I feel like we will just take it day by day...
Softball- is there little league for girls or is it all ASA. My daughter has played both and I couldn't' really find much googling besides some teams that traveled to the mainland.

That'll start my questions for now. Thanks in advance for reading I have just been obsessing over this move. About as excited as I am terrified!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Don't live in Ewa. You and your family would be much happier on the east side or windward.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:04 AM

36 posts, read 89,405 times

I have been reading the post as well for over 4 months. In addition I am moving there in two weeks replacing a person that has held the job for 2 years and lived at the Waterfront at Ewa Beach the entire time. In my honest opinion as well as his and his wife’s it’s one of two places they would live. Mililani being the second. He does not have children so I cannot answer that question. His only complaint is that you are on the flight path for landings at the international airport. During the day you get noise on air traffic but not in the evenings or at night. Outside of that they love it. He says its a good trade off. I can say I raised 3 kids on the mainland in various cities. Kids adapt more than their parents do. As with anything if you continue their education once they get home...i.e. homework, extra assignments in things then they will be fine. If you just let them go to school and don’t drive their education then the outcome will seek its own level no matter where u live. It’s not the teachers responsibility to educate it’s the parents.

As far as living on the windward side who wouldn’t like it. But can you afford it. I make a good salary and I cannot unless I want to spend all my money on rent and not enjoy what the islands have to offer. The best bang for your buck in my honest opinion is where you’re looking.

Last edited by richjsn; 10-07-2013 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: format

Old 10-07-2013, 08:15 AM

Thank you richjsn. My husband will be making 6 figures but its shocking the cost of living. Thats kind of what I was thinking as far as a trade off. I did hear that about the flight path but also heard farther ends of the subdivision aren't as bad. And actually where we live now is right in the flight path. Sometimes I can't even talk on the phone its so bad so I don't think that will be a huge issue for me.
I know it won't be the best part of the island but we want to be able to enjoy other things as well. And its seems like having dogs is going to be a huge issue and they seem dog friendly at the Waterfront. Its not like we can't move in 6 months if we hate it I guess. I just feel like when I start to feel okay about our decision I hear something horrible again.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM

Anyone know much about the kids sports programs?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Go to Facebook and get on the Waterfront fb page there are several, join them all. The Buy and Sell page seems to have the most traffic but you'll find all opinions there. Some of us love it some do not. I live on IBIS Ave there and we are truly under the flight path. VERY loud when they come over. Not so at night, usually. So gage where we are and look at the townhomes and maybe you'll find something closer to the school. (which I've heard is a good one). The playgrounds, the beach, the fitness center, the community activities... you'll see on the fb page. Plus if you look at the Sex Offender website you'll have a hard time finding one in this community. (SOLD! Right? ) They do background checks on all residents. I have two dogs and came from 4 acres in MS! (well 8 months in CT right before coming here) This is very convenient to Waipahu.
Are you bringing vehicles, household goods?

Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 PM

4 posts, read 7,061 times
I too am moving to Oahu. This Wednesday as a matter of fact. I toured the waterfront. The flights were noisy as hell. And when the raptors go over, which happened while I was on tour, it was even worse. They are old junior enlisted housing converted to public rentals. The concept is great, the houses......meh. Cheap cinderblock, no frills housing. Built for privates thru junior NCO's in mind. That company must be makin a killing. I am moving to the north shore to get out of all that crazy city traffic and people. Mililani (sp?) appears to be nice. Anything on the leeward side is not so great. The schools from what I gather (I have a 5th grader) are what you make of it. The poor scoring schools tend to be in the leeward indigenous populated areas. It takes involved parents to make sucessful children. When the parents live like scabs and have no pride it rubs off on the children. Just tour the neighborhood you'll know what I mean. The waterfront was my front runner until I checked the other side of the island. I couldn't get over that jet noise. They land just on the other inside of the harbor. Being on a flight path and being 1/2 mile from the actual landing strip are two different stories. I feel that for 2000+ a month you can definitely find better. Especially if the hubs is makin 6 figures.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Thanks Hunterseat I had no idea there was a facebook page that will help a lot. Are you in a standalone home with the dogs? We were thinking one of the townhomes just because it has an actually fence area.

Islandbrah- see I was under the impression 6 figures for a family of 4 is barely scraping by... so I feel really nervous. I worry bout the utilities as well if rent is 2K but utilities can be upward to 600??
Mililani I keep hearing about and looks nice I just haven't found anything yet in our price range that will take dogs. We have 2 very nice black labs but many things I see say will take one pet or one pet up to 30 pounds.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
No cinderblock dwellings here and I disagree about the rank guess. I like the fenced area for the dogs. I'm in a duplex but you'd never know with the brick firewall between the two. The townhomes feel more like "the projects" HOWEVER you aren't shoulder to shoulder with neighbors and open windows. There's a/c build in there. Closer to the school. You'll talk to townhome dwellers on the fb page. We have a 4br.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,061 times
Those dwellings are indeed block, I was enlisted for 10 years and they are the exact duplicate of every JR enlisted housing on base I have seen at most posts. It wasn't until I achieved higher rank that I received "nicer" housing. So the rank comment was not a guess.
Heather, I have been scouring Craigslist for months now and only seriously calling landlords the past few days. They rarely take you seriously until you are on the island. The dog thing is a PITA, I have one too. A few that have posted no dogs are negotiable when it comes down to it. Ive even seen lingering ads changes to "pets negotiable". It most likely will take a pet "interview". I look for houses that have been posted for at least 3 weeks to a month. Those landlords have a mortgage payment to make most of the time and "one in the hand is better than two in the bush". A nice wad of cash at the walk through usually helps them salivate. I did tour the other Carmel property by barbers point and the staff was more helpful and the dwellings were more updated. Just not waterfront. That whole side of the island is cheaper due to the location. I didn't feel it was as pretty as the other parts. The windward side and higher elevations may be a little more for rent but less a/c needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu