Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:11 PM

70 posts, read 375,359 times

Advertisements

If I am renting a soft top convertible Audi A4 over the holidays in Oahu, what precautions should I take?

I have heard car break-ins are one of the most prevalent crimes in Oahu in particular, especially for stupid tourists.

Should I take extra care and make sure there is NOTHING of value at all in the car and even leave it unlocked? Might they even steal the whole car if I do that? What about the glove compartment? Never lock it? Trunk? Make sure they can unlock it from inside the car and leave the doors unlocked an/or top and windows down? I have heard some crooks do not even check the door and just break the window or slash the top, so should I leave the window/top down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
If you're comin over here with that amount of paranoia you may as well stay put. It's just common sense, don't leave anything of value in the car, put the top up when parked, I'm sure the car has a security sensor and alarm. Half the time when I here a car alarm go off here on Maui I kind of wish that somebody WOULD steal the damned thing. And if somebody does steal the car, who cares????? It's a rental......

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 12-17-2007, 11:23 PM

70 posts, read 375,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
If you're comin over here with that amount of paranoia you may as well stay put.
This is what I read, just checking to see if people that live or travel there think that is a load of crock.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:09 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobart View Post
This is what I read, just checking to see if people that live or travel there think that is a load of crock.
I actually read the exact same thing. Though I still locked the doors, had the windows rolled up and kept valuables out (just like I do anywhere I go). And generally avoided ghetto areas.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,921 times
We considered a convertible for our upcoming trip, but because it's rainy season and we are going to be limited on time, opted for a mid-size SUV instead.

I've rented convertibles several times on neighbor island trips and have never had anything stolen. I try to make a point to carry a bag that is easy to grab and take out of the car--even at the quick scenic overlooks--leaving nothing visible to someone passing by. It is wise to be cautious, but you will go crazy if you let those thoughts dominate your trip!

I usually prefer to lock the doors as a deterrent, but my SO is of the mind that if someone wants in, they will find a way, so better to prevent the possibility of a broken window. He has actually experienced a theft/car damage here on the Big Island at a beach park (car was locked). We haven't resolved that one yet.

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 12-18-2007 at 01:56 AM..

Old 12-18-2007, 03:13 PM

9 posts, read 43,975 times
just use common sense...don't leave any valuables in the car and of course lock it....why would you leave it unlocked anyway? that's almost like begging someone to loot your car!

Hawaii does have a lot of car thefts etc but exercise good common sense and all should be well. Hawaii isn't that dangerous...

Old 12-18-2007, 03:35 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Hey, don't pick on Hobart. I've been hearing the same thing. Seems like there are occasional flare-ups of break-ins at some of the popular beach parks (not the ghetto areas). People have advised leaving the doors unlocked instead of having someone break the windows to get in. And of course you should always leave valuables out of sight and locked in the trunk.

The problem is that a convertible Chrysler (or any other brand) screams "tourist", so you do become more of a target.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:52 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
I don't think anyones "picking" on somebody, just people who live here voicing their opinions and experiences. I doubt if the theft rate here regarding cars is any greater than that of Miami or Las Vegas. And when you rent a car your credit card will normally provide full insurance coverage, so who cares if it gets broken into, window busted, or it gets stolen? So what, it's just a rental car. And if you leave any kind of valuables sitting out in the open, what do you thinks going to happen, whether you're in Beverly Hills or New York City?
Just as a side note, when I moved to Maui I had a real beater, 66 or 67 Plymouth Valiant, you know, the really fancy one with the push button automatic transmission. Was living at the Outrigger Hotel on Keawekapu Beach, tending bar right next door, would just leave the car in the parking lot, keys in the ignition, who the hell would want to steal it anyways, thing was held together more or less with roofing tar. Yea, it was that rusted. Walking down to work one evening I notice the car is gone!!!!!! Hey, no big deal, didn't even call the cops. About 4 days later, walking down to work, there, in the parking lot, is my rusted out Plymouth, keys in the ignition!! Someone stole, as in borrowed for a few days, my car and brought it back. Never did find out who the semi-thief was, but I still have my suspicions. Of course, that was Maui, and the year was 1976, little different these days.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 12-18-2007, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 43,975 times
Nobody's picking on anybody here...just asking them to utilize a little common sense....

convertibles indeed scream tourist but like the other poster said, it's a rental...

a break in can happen anywhere, anytime and any place...the "ghettos" in hawaii are hardly ghetto when you compare it to the mainland...besides, tourists usually don't endup parking their car and cruising around those areas...

Old 12-19-2007, 06:42 PM

33 posts, read 140,471 times
If you leave it unlocked and there are no valuables they can look around, leave and not break your window! They are looking for cameras, purses and stuff tourists leave behind. They break into local cars all the time because they are locked. If on drugs you want to hit and run, not hot wire and drive around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu