Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:15 PM

430 posts, read 639,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Dave View Post
You REALLY don't know what your talking about. I doubt you even live here.
Look at a map. Just because you commute across the whole entire island and they seem close to you doesn't mean that a town in the center of the island and one on the SW coast are the same side

It's a 26 minute drive between Ewa Beach and Mililani. They are FURTHER than Kaneohe and Aiea which are only 19 minutes apart. Would you say Kaneohe is "Aiea side"? https://goo.gl/O6O1CB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Look at a map. Just because you commute across the whole entire island and they seem close to you doesn't mean that a town in the center of the island and one on the SW coast are the same side
Here is a basic primer for you:

Ewa Side - towards the west side of the island

Diamond Head side - towards the east side of the island

Town side - towards the southern side of the island

Windward side - towards the northeastern side

Leeward side - towards the southwestern side

North shore - towards the north/northwestern side

Mauka - towards the mountains

Makai - towards the ocean

Old 08-07-2015, 03:07 PM

25 posts, read 25,737 times
Quote:

It's a 26 minute drive between Ewa Beach and Mililani. They are FURTHER than Kaneohe and Aiea which are only 19 minutes apart. Would you say Kaneohe is "Aiea side"? https://goo.gl/O6O1CB
Okay, first things first. You are correct. Mililani is in Central Oahu. No argument there.

Second thing is that it is not what I was saying. If you lived here and understood how the locals speak about directions you would understand what I originally said. I work with 250 locals every single day. Most of which speak Pigeon to me all day. And I speak back to them in Pigeon as well. And I catch myself speaking Pigeon to my wife and my cat when I get home at night. So I should not have said it that way considering the audience. Next time I will take better care to choose my words more carefully and speak proper English.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
first of all, it's pidgen, and, secondarily, if you did try to speak it you'd get

#1. Laughed at

#2. Your head slapped

Just sayin
You are correct, I spelled it wrong. But you are not correct about the rest. You don't know what you are talking about. And since you don't know me nor my situation there is no way you could know that. Pure speculation on your part.

Old 08-07-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
As someone who's lived here for well over 30 years, and has had over 100 employees, MANY of them local born and raised, I DO know what I'm talking about. ANYONE coming over here and trying to speak pidgin is just going to make a fool of themselves. I'll leave it at that, as another thread goes off the rails.
You are a funny person. Not only do you not know what you are talking about but you seem to think you know what it is like for me here. Especially since you don't know me. I would suggest you stop making a fool of yourself.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:19 PM

430 posts, read 639,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Here is a basic primer for you:

Ewa Side - towards the west side of the island

Diamond Head side - towards the east side of the island

Town side - towards the southern side of the island

Windward side - towards the northeastern side

Leeward side - towards the southwestern side

North shore - towards the north/northwestern side

Mauka - towards the mountains

Makai - towards the ocean
Never heard somebody refer to Mililani as being "Ewa side". I'm pretty sure if you tried to say that to a local person they would have no idea what you meant.

I work with local people too... Including real Hawaiians living in Hawaiian Home Lands

Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Never heard somebody refer to Mililani as being "Ewa side".
Mililani is somewhat of an orphan - central works.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona Dave View Post
You are correct, I spelled it wrong. But you are not correct about the rest. You don't know what you are talking about. And since you don't know me nor my situation there is no way you could know that. Pure speculation on your part.
Not to add fuel but I have to agree... if you can't spell pidgin, chances are you are (at least silently) laughed at.

Mod cut: no discussing mod actions

Last edited by Mikala43; 08-11-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 12:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Please stay on topic, address the issues not the posters
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 21,017 times
Auwe!

You guys stay grumbling about talking pidgin, and da coming Malahine stay confused...like da modahratah said, try stay on topic laddat...no mek dis thread all hamajang...ass why hard!

K sistah...oh sorry...Alright Ms. moving to Hawaii will prove to be a challenge/change, but you seem to be more than willing to confront that situation (not that you have much choice) which is half the battle.

I use to live in Kalama Valley, (we now live in Texas and loving it!) it's a ridge south of Hawaii Kai, the weather there is similar to Ewa Beach/Kapolei...hot/dry and can get very windy in the valley as the windward winds come down the Koolau Mountain from Maka'puu beach.
It is far (well relative again) from Downtown if that's where your H will be working.
Traffic coming from that side of the island during the morning rush hour (never understood the "rush hour" thing...you can't rush in traffic) is bad, BUT not as bad as from the west side (Ewa Beach/Kapolei/Makakilo etc.) of the island.
Driving into town you will NOT be driving towards the sun, and coming home you will NOT be driving towards the sun, which is good in my opinion.

We are currently renting our house in Kalama Valley for $4k month, it has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms...2 of the bedrooms are master bedrooms with walk in closets and own bathrooms...the house is about 2,800 sf on a 8k sf lot and fenced, with 2 car garage.
As mentioned most if not all, the public schools will be similar, if you want really good education it will cost you $$$$ Punahou, Mid Pac, Hawaii Baptist. Iolani...and unless you are of Hawaiian genealogy, Kamehameha Schools.

I have also lived in Mililani and Wahiawa, these two towns are located as mentioned by viper in the plains between the Koolau and Waianae mountain ranges. It does get cooler in these towns, Wahiawa the coolest as it sits approx 2,000' above sea level. However, these towns are further from town, and the H2/H1 inter-change will be a bottle neck causing major traffic...there is an HOV (high occupancy vehicle) called the "Zipper" lane, but if there's and accident in that lane or if the Zipper mobile breaks down, it becomes a "Velcro" land and you're stuck/parked on a not so freeway.

As for Kaneohe/Kailua, I was born and raised there...located on the windward side of the island, and there are 3 highways/tunnels going into town, but still there will be major traffic...however, it does make for a very nice scenic drive...no private schools on that side of the island.

Over-all Oahu is like any other place...it's a mix plate (diverse) of ethnic groups with Asian (Japanese) having the largest piece of the pie.
However, there can be racial problems as the Hawaiians are trying to get back their Kingdom which was taken from them...in my opinion it is best that the USA took it, if not it would have been some other country and they (Hawaiians) would not be able to voice their opinions or even had Hawaiian Homestead land..sorry going off course here.

Either way, E Komomai (welcome) to Hawaii...the beaches are fantastic, but you must respect the ocean...never turn your back on the waves.
Who knows, you may really like it here and decide to stay beyond your 3 year stint.

So no worry beef curry, cuz going be all good laddat ef you stay humble and no grumble...just remembah...Makaha is nice and free, and it no mattah ef you lock your doors, da boys goin still scoah! (lyrics from the Makaha Sons of Niihau song Freedom of Makaha)

Aloha No!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu