Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
But that does not help those top students from California get into top schools which I have previously elaborated in another post.
This post?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/hawai...l#post44657867

Quote:
All those top universities in Mainland admit students on several criteria, i.e. one of them is geographical distribution. That means they take top students from each state proportionally. So even if the student from California is smarter than the one in Hawaii, the one in Hawaii receives higher priority.
It would be interesting to see hard data from all of those "top" universities which supports this.

"Geographic distribution" is a minor part of the "diversity" that many top colleges and universities wish to have in their incoming classes. Here's a link to a publication for policymakers entitled, "Diversity in College Admissions: Issues for Trustees" that provides a nice summary…
https://www.goacta.org/images/downlo...admissions.pdf

Quote:
Students from Kamehameha even receive higher priority than his/her peers from other students in Hawaii, private or public, for known reasons.
While that's probably true for Kamehameha students who participated in the "Mānoa Academy for Social Sciences" program when applying to UH, that "higher priority" doesn't necessarily extend to all colleges and universities throughout the United States.
Mānoa Academy creates college experience for Kamehameha Schools Kapālama students

Quote:
And by the way, most ethnic Asian students in California study the way students in Asia do, i.e. attend cram school after formal school everyday. So their daily study hours are about 3-4 hours longer than students in Hawaii do.
Asians aren't exactly a monolithic group and California's a pretty big state. It might prove somewhat enlightening to read the article linked below that was published a few years ago by Inside Higher Ed entitled, "The Deceptive Data on Asians"...
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...s-one-category

As for supplemental education programs in addition to "formal school," there are plenty of those in Hawaiʻi, such as Kumon, Kaplan, Princeton Review, weekend Japanese language school, afternoon Chinese language school programs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 05:13 PM

7 posts, read 12,291 times
Default 2019 NMSFs--Hawaii public schools?

Does anybody have the number of National Merit Scholarship Semi Finalists for 2019? Most interested in knowing how many the Hawaii public high schools produced.

My local high school just announced 26 out of about 2100 students.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:18 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
I haven't seen the 2019 news except there are 220 total.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:49 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post

My local high school just announced 26 out of about 2100 students.
That's a lot. What school?

Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 PM

I was incorrect on my number above -

In Hawaii, there were 67 2019 semifinalists.

Of those, 34 were at Punahou alone.

https://www.punahou.edu/news/post/~b...med-at-punahou

Iolani has 11

Last edited by whtviper1; 09-19-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I was incorrect on my number above -

In Hawaii, there were 67 2019 semifinalists.

Of those, 34 were at Punahou alone.

https://www.punahou.edu/news/post/~b...med-at-punahou

Iolani has 11

Wow, those schools are really skimming the cream. As for the remaining 22, they may be even more impressive by beating the odds in schools with weak scholarship and underachievers.

Old 09-22-2020, 02:46 PM

7 posts, read 12,291 times
Anybody have the breakdown of Hawaii National Merit Scholarship Semi Finalists for 2021?

My local school just announced 13 out of about 2200 students.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM

If you have a Star Advertiser subscription, you can get a breakdown on a story they published....

Punahou had 26

DOE had 13

Iolani 18

Kamehameha 6

Old 01-13-2021, 09:45 PM

1,014 posts, read 479,768 times
I suppose so. Iolani and Punahou parents of students pays big bucks to have their kids get an education. Whereas a public school it is free. State funded for the facilities used and text books used. Also State funded for the teachers to get paid. Private Schools like Punahou High School to which Barak Obama attended in 1979 was proud to make Barak into something. I'm sure his specialty was an overall approach. Not necessarily main stream or frontline education, if you understand where I am coming from. But still they honored him for being a president. It looks good on Punahou High School. It is things like this that makes me kind of skeptical on what actually constitutes higher learning. And so forth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu