Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM

50 posts, read 204,393 times

Advertisements

Aloha, hoo-ah, and ahoy; (seeing as one/more apply):
I've narrowed my long-range contingency plan for mainland emmigration to Oahu, given that the main VA hospital and major commissaries are there.
Firstly, I'm going to assume that there's no sales/state/fed taxes on purchases at the Commissary; correct? Perhaps the surcharge I paid at Bangor NSB by Silverdale, but I don't recall the percentage of that charge on, say, $100. I figure that it will be lower over-all than shopping at Costco/Walmart/"Costless etc." stores, yes?
Also, is there any association who helps with Veterans finding a break on buying land/condos/single-family dwellings?
Another question: how much is a carton of Camel cigs on base vs. the economy? The new Fed tax is onerous here, what with WA state's regressive tax structure. The same goes for buying wine. Food is non-taxable here, however. I'm just trying to determine what ballpark figure for after-tax income is required to move there and live a modest lifestyle: $2000, $3000+ ?
Also, (being a %100 disabled Veteran), I am authorized to use base/post facilities, but are there any all-service clubs/organizations where a cripped-up Combat Engineer NCO (E-6) might find compatriots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Aloha,
I have found that the use of the Commissary(and Class VI!) helps greatly with the cost of food and other household necessities.

Housing will depend upon the number of family members (and if you need handicapped accessibility) and where you wish to live (Oahu is where the VA & the Comm. are located).

Services for the disabled are actually quite good here (I am totally blind and in a power chair so I definitely know what I am talking about here!).

As for Service clubs/organizations we have the standard VFW and American Legion, and you may use the club systems on Post/Base.

I would say that we could be friends but my hubby and I are MPs and you know how well Engineers and MPs get along! (Just kidding!!!).

So, if you give me a couple of details about the size of your family I could give you a better idea of housing costs (a single person needs a lot less space than a family of four), and if you require handicapped accessibility.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Mahalo.

Thanks for the general info; it is as much as I surmised. I was looking for price comparisons of cigs, wine, bread at the Commissary vs. Costco, etc.
I've researched the real estate for a couple, and only condos come up as affordable. I actually served on a detachment as an MP for REFORGER in '88 in Hamburg, and we got along quite well. However, lacking proper arrest training, I had a bad turn trying to stop a fight between drunks and ended up on my back on the hood of a German civilian's POV. C'est la vie.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM

Since I do not smoke I can't help you with the cigarettes but will say that my husband won't buy his copenhagen anywhere but the Comm or PX! Any alcohol is cheaper at the Class VI (since it is not soldat the Comm). The surcharge is neglibible when comparing State taxes vs. Comm so unless there is a SPECTACULAR sale at Costco (or enogh product to feed the neighborhood) it is not worth the extra trip.

There are great townhouses on the market (even single family homes if you don't mind being further out from Honolulu.

REFORGER was great fun! Our last REFORGER was in '85 or '86 in Frankfurt (still hard to comprehend that the Military Community no longer even exists).

A hui hou

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up further questions

Thanks, (mahalo). What's "a hui hao" meaning, please? I didn't know that the Frankfurt military community was history. Our 'sohn' is a Frankfurter, having been born at 97th General Hospital, (the old Luftwaffe Krankenhaus).
Please ask the hubby how much a carton is at the BX/PX. I'm assuming it's an AAFES exchange as we had in Bad Kreuznach or Dexheim, (our last post in '89). The last time I shopped at the BX in Bangor NSB by Silverdale (by Bremerton WA), the smokes were still cheaper at the local Indian reservation, but now they are taxed with the recent Federal %100 hike, too. So, are they about $35. for a carton at the BX nearby you, (wherever you guys shop?)
I found some reasonable homes in Waianae, and there's an AAFES shopette there. I'll map it to see how far from Schofield it is, I guess.
You mentioned other reasonable townhomes outside of Hula-Hula town,(Honolulu), so what is "reasonable" for Oahu? I've read comments that Waianae is a bit dodgy in places, in terms of run-down houses or 'rural blight' aspects, (by inference).
I'm guessing that you either have a magnifying browser or are hearing this through a text-to-speech program. As much as I may, I wish to extend my sympathy and compassion to you for your loss of sight. I know that I couldn't possibly understand it, but I really do admire you for adapting so well. You are courageous for soldiering on so well, and I commend you for it.
Aloha, (or Tschuess!).

Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
Default Waianae

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorgWhiteBeard View Post
I found some reasonable homes in Waianae, and there's an AAFES shopette there. I'll map it to see how far from Schofield it is, I guess.
It's an easy drive from the Waianae coast to Schofield through the KoleKole pass, but before you decide to live in Waianae, real all the posts about it here. Use the search feature.

Hank

Old 05-22-2009, 04:59 PM

Default Thanks, Hank. (That rhymes better than mahalo).

Sounds like a bad area for a cripped-up, old, white-bearde haole to move into, much less think about driving through a pass to get a gallon of milk cheaper, eh?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM

A hui hou means "goodbye" or "till we meet again"- it is a common form of goodbye both vocally and in correspondence.

I do not know the exact year that Frankfurt Military community shut down but it was in the early 1990s.My eldest son was also born at the 97th gen Hospital (my Kaserne was directly next to the hospital-not across the street- it consisted of TWO old BOQs and belonged to the 109th MPs (me) and the other belonged to V Corps HHC).

My husband was 284th MP at Gibbs Kaserne. We miss it terribly. He was an Army brat and he graduated from Karlsrhue American HS. We are hoping to return to Germany for our 25th anniversary (three years away).

Sea Country in Waianae has a HUGE Military community- due to the easy access to Schofield through KoleKole pass. It can only be accessed with a Military ID and it is IMPORTANT to note that the pass is closed on the weekend and by 1730 M-F. This was one of the main reasons that we did buy at Sea Country because my husband was still AD and he was the rear D SGM so he needed to go back and forth at all hours- and due to the fact that I have many medical emergencies and for our situation Waianae was just a little too far from needed medical services.

It might be best for you to plan an extended stay visit so that you can actually see the different areas of the Island and to get a feel for the areas. Some people just plain prefer one area to another. We live in Ewa Beach and it is very close to Schofield, with easy access to Pearl Harbor and Hickham. Kaneohe Marine Corps Base is over the H3 25 minutes away (with no traffic).

Tripler is fabulous and the VA center is attached to Tripler. We are so thankful that I have Tricare for Life (My husband pays for Tricare Prime) so we have noticed any difference in care. We have many friends who do use the VA and they are happy with the care (no horror stories like so many of the Centers on the Mainland).

There are many Military Retirees here and we are certainly happy to have Retired here (although I was born and raised here I was away for over twenty years). It is beautiful and the weather just cannot be beat.

Thank you for your comments regarding my blindness. i was legally bind from 2000-2005 when I lost my vision completely. I am also confined to a wheelchair so I spent a little while feeling sorry for myself- but I know that everyone struggles with something!

Good luck with your quest to find a new home. Melanie

Old 05-23-2009, 06:46 AM

Default Ewa Beach, eh?

Mahalo, Melanie.
I did find a reasonably-priced house on Ewa Beach, so that is likely the place to look, (if/when I/we get there). Likely, as you say, a stay-'cation is best at first. However, family ties (for my frau) are too strong to cut just now. Que sera' sera', ja?
The warm weather is what I crave any day I awake to temps below fifty F, as my osteoarthritis stiffens my muscles and makes my joints pop like Rice Krispies. My wife has also joined that Club, but is more 'junior' in the ranks than am I. Time will tell, I s'pose. I hope that the average temps of Oahu would alleviate such aches and pains!
If the SGM doesn't mind looking, I'm still curious about prices, (which I can't seem to access on the 'net through the commissary/BX/PX sites). A carton of cigs at the Indian reservations around here jumped up to over $70. @ unit. Organic milk hovers around $5.39. We're lucky to find local chicken breasts for under $2.99 on sale. A gallon jug of drinkable Livingston Rhine wine pegs at $11.00, which lasts us for a good bit.
That being said, we wouldn't have to be paying upwards of $3.00 @ gal. for heating oil or paying for a lot of electricity during the winter for the furnace fan and lights, so there's a bunch o' bucks saved right there; I'm guessing about $2000+/- from 'Septober thru Maypril'.
May Peace Be With You both.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 6,822 times
Just curious, can a couple age 74 with a total of $2600 a month income with a bit of savings find a nice cheap small home near the Naval base?? I'm retired USN OS1(E6) and I was stationed at the commissary store back in 1958-60. I know nothing is the same but would appreciate an answer if someone has the time. Would like to email with any enlisted person living from Pearl City back toward the base. Email me at (johngob30@yahoo.com)

James

Last edited by cuzinmex; 01-22-2013 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu