Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandicedteaforme View Post
Not true: they have an ING/CapOne ATM on the premises, and several "Allpoints" affiliated ATMs scattered around the island. It certainly isn't convenient, unless you live along the Ala Wai/Ala Moana area and drop by the care or have a car/time to drive to the random network ATMs, but they do have some on Oahu.
Allpoints ATMs are a different company, and CapOne does not list any ATMs at all in the state of Hawai'i. I can get that they have an affiliation with Allpoints, because that is what Allpoints provides... ATM service for companies that do not have their own ATMs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 11:50 PM

51 posts, read 82,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Allpoints ATMs are a different company, and CapOne does not list any ATMs at all in the state of Hawai'i. I can get that they have an affiliation with Allpoints, because that is what Allpoints provides... ATM service for companies that do not have their own ATMs.
Right - but the poster asked about ATMs she/he could use (I'm guessing) without a fee.

https://secure.capitalone360.com/mya.../atm_locate.vm shows 10 ATMs within a 20 mile radius of Honolulu.

I don't know what part of their site you were looking on, but they do have surcharge-free ATMs within the state.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandicedteaforme View Post
I don't know what part of their site you were looking on, but they do have surcharge-free ATMs within the state.
OK, I see the difference in the results we got... they have two different ATM lists. I just entered the main site at capitalone.com, navigated over to maps.capitalone.com/locator/ and

Under Choose a Location Type I checked 1. Search for ATM
and
Under Choose an Account Type I checked 2: Capital One Bank

Then under 2. (sic) Find an ATM Near You I entered City: Honolulu
BUT
The dropdown menu for State only lists these nine choices: CT, DC, DE, LA, MD, NJ, NY, TX, VA
In other words, no Hawai'i!

Digging a little deeper, these are the eight states, plus DC, where Capital One has actual branch offices, and actual ATMs of their own.

Repeating the search, but under 2. (the first one) I checked Capital One 360
And voila! All 50 states plus DC now appear in the locator drop down. This reflects the affiliation with ATM machines which are owned and operated by Allpoints.

And the Capital One 360 Cafes? 6 of the 8 currently operating are located in states in which Capital One has no branches.

What this points to is that Capital One Bank and Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) are actually two different companies, both owned by Capital One Holdings, and now (since 2012) sharing the same branding. And researching the history of the brand, the facts bear this out.

To me the oddest piece in all of this is the Cafes. They really are just that... places that sell coffee and food and have an ATM and somebody you can talk to about Capitol One 360, the "branchless bank." In the trade press they are referred to as Marketing Offices, and there are more coming. Here's an article about some new ones coming to Boston:

Quote:
Capital One’s cafes, already operating in eight cities, don’t have tellers to handle deposits and withdrawals, bankers to handle loans, or safe-deposit boxes to store valuables. They’re designed to to introduce consumers to its online bank.

Instead of handling cash, employees at the existing cafes serve up espresso, sandwiches, and advice, helping customers set up online accounts and learn about the bank’s services. If customers want to make a deposit, Capital One employees hand them pre-addressed, stamped envelopes to mail deposits to the bank or help them download smartphone apps to deposit checks electronically.

Capital One Financial plans to open banking “cafes” in Boston area in late 2013 - Business - Boston.com
So, ennaways, if that suits you, have a go. Personally, coming from a banking family myself, I'm most comfortable with financial institutions where I can actually walk into an office and yell at somebody when something goes wrong.

Because something always does, sooner or later.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM

25 posts, read 43,408 times
Yeah Capital one and Capital one 360 (formerly ING direct) are different. Capital one 360 uses Allpoint ATM network. It works pretty well as long as you have other bank with a real local branch where you could go for things like cashiers check and money orders. Besides that, ING worked very well for me in the past. They dont have any foreign transaction fee if you use their ATM card in other countries. I loved it in my last vacation to Mexico.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 54,352 times
@hawa14...good responses by others already. The only other thing I would respond to is the issue with a cashiers check. I don't know if this is something you have to do frequently. I don't think I have ever needed one myself. CO360 will issue cashier checks, only they cost $20. Once processed online, they will overnight it.

In regards to the ATMs, it is true that there are not many on the island. Occasionally, I will go to the cafe to use their ATM if I need more than $40 in cash. Other than that, I usually just ask for cash back when I go to Sam's or Long's.

My brother decided to get a local account at one of the big banks, maybe 1st Hawaiian. They told him there would be no monthly fees, but after a few months they began charging him. I'm not sure if he handled it, but in my opinion it is less of a headache just going through an online bank, especially since they offer deposits through the app.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 PM

25 posts, read 43,408 times
agree. thank you all for your input!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:27 PM

You may or may not need cashiers checks. You will if you buy property. But that isn't a biggie.

Getting your hands on a lot of cash quickly can be a biggie if you don't have a local bank. Personally I do a lot of business with small business folks, at farmer's market and craft fairs. Some of them will take a local check with local ID or cash, but no cards. It all depends on how you live your life, what your lifestyle is. Obviously online banking works for some.

Having seen many, many ways a bank can screw up an account, however, I personally want somebody local I can go yell at when it happens, and I'm not joking.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 PM

32 posts, read 61,624 times
I am moving to Oahu soon. I have started the switch by changing my bank account to USAA online. My nieces use them and are happy with the service. They refund any out of network ATM fees to your account. So ATM fees are not an issue. I am also going to open an account at a credit union on Oahu near where I plan to live. ATM fees will also not be an issue, since there is a network of credit unions that allow you to access your money, make deposits and get checks all over the islands, and on the mainland.

It is a pain to change everything over, but by writing out a "to do list", and taking your time, it really isn't so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu