Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,329 times

Advertisements

After being in Honolulu a short time, I have noticed that most drivers only seem to stop for pedestrians at traffic lights and ignore people waiting to cross at marked crosswalks.

I have several crosswalks (no stoplights) in the area I walk, and every time I have had to wait (sometimes for several minutes) while cars drive by. Is this typical in Hawaii? Is it not the law to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks? Is there anyone to contact to request that "Caution: pedestrian crossing" signs or similar be posted in certain areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:54 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
According to hawaii.gov:

The Driver of a vehicle shall STOP and yield the right of way, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. The fine for violating this law is $97.

PEDESTRIAN GUIDELINES — Hawaii Department of Transportation

I believe this law was passed in this form in 2005. However just this past week, a pedestrian was hit while walking in a crosswalk in Waikiki.

Last edited by whynot?; 01-08-2010 at 10:55 PM.. Reason: Removed extraneous coding.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,033,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer1234 View Post
After being in Honolulu a short time, I have noticed that most drivers only seem to stop for pedestrians at traffic lights and ignore people waiting to cross at marked crosswalks.

I have several crosswalks (no stoplights) in the area I walk, and every time I have had to wait (sometimes for several minutes) while cars drive by. Is this typical in Hawaii? Is it not the law to yield to pedestrians at crosswalks? Is there anyone to contact to request that "Caution: pedestrian crossing" signs or similar be posted in certain areas?
Yes it is normal; I believe the reason for this is due to lax law enforcement.

PS: Be careful because Hawaii is the worst state I've ever seen for hit and run drivers.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,508,473 times
Balad1:PS: Be careful because Hawaii is the worst state I've ever seen for hit and run drivers.

I will add to that. Hawaii may well have the worst drivers in the US. I have driven extensively in 40+ states. This one takes it takes the prize. Many drivers really have no idea what is safe and what isn't.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:19 AM

82 posts, read 478,858 times
I do see on the news maybe twice a year that the cops will set up a "sting" -- hide in the bushes or elsewhere and have a "dummy" pedestrian wait to cross a crosswalk. Those drivers who do not yield are ticketed on the spot. Probably not that effective overall.

Interesting though with all the yielding to other drivers, shaka's/waves out the windows, you'd think that would be extended to those on foot as well.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
According to hawaii.gov:
The Driver of a vehicle shall STOP and yield the right of way, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling, or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.
So, by law, cars are NOT required to yield to folks WAITING to cross the road. IF they are already in the crosswalk, then don't hit them, but pedestrians on the sidewalk have no roadway rights at all. And, according to this, cars can still drive through the crosswalk as long as the pedestrian isn't in their lane. It doesn't specifically mention it, but I suspect the pedestrian is supposed to wait for a clear spot before entering the crosswalk.

I suspect our pedestrian laws are significantly different than those on the mainland. We frequently get mainland folks walking out into traffic and expecting the cars to get out of the way. Unfortunately, the drivers aren't using the same database and it usually isn't good for the pedestrians.

About a decade ago, there used to be a jogger in Waikiki who would just jog along the sidewalk - fairly fast - and then make and abrupt turn and jog right across the crosswalk no matter what the traffic was doing. The commercial drivers knew about the jogger and would watch out but the jogger was eventually run over by a car.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM

292 posts, read 948,614 times
I'm sorry This has nothing to do with the post But every time I read the title I hear Walking In Memphis ... and I've never even been in TN.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM

737 posts, read 1,461,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Balad1:PS: Be careful because Hawaii is the worst state I've ever seen for hit and run drivers.

I will add to that. Hawaii may well have the worst drivers in the US. I have driven extensively in 40+ states. This one takes it takes the prize. Many drivers really have no idea what is safe and what isn't.

YES. I have been saying stuff like this for a few years now on this forum and no one ever seems to agree/respond. Thank you. The amount of people killed in Honolulu crossing the street is sickening. Did a quick search for some numbers but couldn't find much. Be careful and pay attention!

Old 01-10-2010, 01:13 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
I do not mean to sound pedestrian unfriendly, but I also suspect that a lot has to do with people coming to a large city (Honolulu specifically) who do not do a lot of urban walking-around in their own home areas. I often think that many visitors must only walk from their homes to their driveways and from their work parking lots to their office buildings without ever touching a public sidewalk.

I am saying this after moving to Maui from a major urban area (Washington, DC) ten years ago. Both cities have a large number of tourists, BTW, so this is not anti-tourist. What I notice -- even here on little Maui -- is that people generally do not have good sidewalk traffic sense/manners. They walk -- and expect to be accommodated -- two- or three-abreast, chatting and paying no attention to oncoming walkers. They do not drop down to single file to allow others to pass, nor do they hesitate to stop and block an entire walk. Then they look really peeved when other people walk through their impromptu conversations. People who "get it" and stay on the right are definitely in the minority on our beachwalks.

I spend a bit of time in Honolulu/Waikiki, and I can attest that a fair number of people there seem no more savvy about urban walking. There are exceptions, of course, but I see a lot of people looking up (a tell-tale clue to purse-snatchers that someone is not used to being in the city) and walking in clumps of three or more. (Fortunately, Waikiki's sidewalks are wider than ours on Maui.) I do not "blame" them; I know they are on vacation. But opting to spend time in a city has its own requirements if one doesn't want to look like a rube and take unnecessary risks.

To me, the very picture of urban pedestrian economy is London on a weekday at rush hour -- THOUSANDS of people negotiating a few blocks in an orderly manner, often raising and lowering umbrellas to accommodate others. Thankfully, we don't need the umbrellas here, but we could use the common sense of staying to one side, looking ahead, dropping back to narrow our group ranks, and anticipating what's ahead. Maybe staying tuned-in while being on vacation is not one's first inclination, but it's essential in a city and just polite everywhere else.

Because I see how poorly pedestrians navigate the sidewalks, I fear for them in crosswalks (and -- especially here where we do not always have sidewalks -- walking along the sides of the main roads). I am not blaming pedestrians, I'm simply saying that because one is not enclosed in steel, they need to take every precaution to ensure their own safety. And knowing you're in an area where many drivers do not know where they're going only amplifies the need for pedestrians to pay attention and take the safest routes possible.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:59 AM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,930 times
The difference you see is likely based upon the laws in the state where the driver lives - and\or has probably lived for quite some time. Assuming that possibly many who are questioning this are Californians... read on.

Being from Florida, a pedestrian does NOT have the right of way - according the law - no one does . When I traveled to California for the first time I kept wondering why people would just stop every-time I stepped to a curb (even if not near a cross-walk.) I had to ask why. It took quite a few years for me to get used to it - and to look for pedestians when I was driving there. I don't know the laws in any ohter state, however I have traveled many and California is the only one that I have noticed it in. When in Hawaii, I did not know it was a law - and it appears many others do not as well. - We'll actually, if you read the previous post - it is not - Just be sure not to run over anyone who is already in the crosswalk - we Floridians do get that

When walking here (in Florida) and someone stops to let you cross the street - that tells me right away they are not from here (or at least not originally from here).

And as the old saying goes... If you don't like my driving, then stay off the sidewalk

From FREEZING Florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: