Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 05:20 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,949,603 times

Advertisements

I know that area of 422, the golf dome, Avon Oaks, the chiropractor, but i don't know the neighborhood at all. I can't imagine it's too bad, but it's really hard for me to say. I"m guessing it's better than some of those Niles properties you sent me from the south side of town. You best bet would be to look at the houses around it, if they are nicely kept then it might be an ok area. I'm still wondering why that house is so cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:30 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,160,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Looks like it has a nice inground pool, good size garage, and the backyard is fenced. One house to the side, and a Chiropractic clinic directly behind.

I'm not real familiar with Girard, but that looks like a decent neighborhood. Cortlandgirl has more knowledge of that area.
Are you referring to Girard over by Canton?

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM

It's north of Youngstown, never knew there was a Girard near Canton.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,160,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
It's north of Youngstown, never knew there was a Girard near Canton.
Sorry, I Was thinking of the coal mines over by E. Canton. I picked up scrap metal a Girard at the and delivered it to Holland Mich. Been bounced around so many times its hard to keep up with them.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,717 times
im from flint mi looking for the city life.i have three kids ages 15, 13 and 11 im tranferring down to the lordstown plant but do not want to live in a country area could somebody please help me.. give me info about schools and nice areas to live in i was thinking about cleveland is that to far from the plant?

Old 10-22-2010, 03:42 AM

Cleveland is a good hour or so from the plant. Akron maybe a little shorter of a commute, but not much. I would check out Ne Warren if you're looking for more of a city. The Warren City Schools are considered bad by suburbanites, but they only rank badly because there are a lot of kids and parents that dont' care there. If your kids are good students it's one of the best places to send them. The one bad thing is that there will be kids there that could be or are a bad influence.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:31 AM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug30 View Post
im from flint mi looking for the city life.i have three kids ages 15, 13 and 11 im tranferring down to the lordstown plant but do not want to live in a country area could somebody please help me.. give me info about schools and nice areas to live in i was thinking about cleveland is that to far from the plant?
Living in Warren would give you the shortest commute, and give you what you're looking for. But, if "city life" to you means a nice old house on a small lot in a walkable neighborhood, you could also look at Niles (small town with a main street) and the north or west sides of Youngstown.

If you choose Youngstown, I wouldn't send your kids to the city schools. (although, as Cort points out, most of the problems are caused by kids and parents who don't care about their education) Some of the surrounding districts have open enrollment. If you're interested in hearing more about Ytown, I'm the one you want to "talk" to, and Cort would be the Warren and Niles expert.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Girard and McDonald are also walkable with old homes. Things around here are pretty densely populated in our towns and cities. When you get to the outskirsts of the suburbs is where things become more rural. North of Cortland is pretty much exurbs and farmland, there are a lot of amish in northern Trumbull Co. and and NW of Youngstown and Warren between here and Cleveland.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,840,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug30 View Post
Unfortunately, Lordstown is a rural area, and the biggest cities in this region are Cleveland and Pittsburgh. People typically drive there for events and museums, etc. If you mean live in town someplace, then that is probably achievable. Youngstown used to be the real city-city, and when was booming, it had amenities. At one time Y-Town had plans for being a city of 200,000 I believe, but it never happened and it shrank and now they say 75,000 or so is it. I'm not sure what Warren was like. But the decline in manufacturing in this region started in the '70s and then closures in the '80 and steady decline thereafter. Also, for general mill labor, the average pay rates have now fallen to what they were back in 1980 or so, and that gives people a fraction of the purchasing power that they used to have back then. Lordstown and Packard/Delphi were the two beacons of light, so to speak, and you already know their problems now.

My advice is to contact a realtor in the Warren area and try to work with that person a while to find a rental home. There are loads of homes for sale and darned few buyers for the ones in town, so maybe you can use that you your advantage. I would rent and not buy. With the incredible number of senior citizens here and the mass outward migration of younger people, I think the older housing will be selling for less, not more, in the future.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:30 PM

5,514 posts, read 9,512,813 times
Youngstown and Flint are similar cities. At their peaks, Youngstown and Flint were relatively close in population. (197k vs. 170k) Unfortunately, Youngstown's population has declined more than Flint's. But, because our metro population is still larger than Flint's, I'd guess we have similar amenities available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio