Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:10 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The very low cost of housing could be a draw along with good regional healthcare amenities as well as cultural amenities nearby.
Which we have plenty of in Ohio.

I have to agree with the topic of the retirees. When I lived in Florida, they gave a rat's a$$ about the schools systems and so forth. I know a lot of Florida transplants here in Cleveland and the Columbus area that can now enroll their kids in the public school systems instead of a private school system because they are/were so bad in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 03:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
It must be geographic then. Around here, a large majority of the retirees remember that it takes an entire community to support the educational system, and that there were other people who contributed to the support of whatever education they were able to receive. Thus many of them are among the strongest supporters of the public schools in our area. It is so many of the 40-60 year olds who have decided that the most important person in the world is "ME", and since their kids are through school, the public education system is just a waste of money and so they have no intention of "throwing their money away".

Old 10-14-2011, 06:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The very low cost of housing could be a draw along with good regional healthcare amenities as well as cultural amenities nearby.
Not only that, the C-D Ohio forum has some of the most witty and intelligent posters ever to grace the internet!

Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 AM

12 posts, read 27,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Katsumoto View Post
How can Ohio convince retirees to stop and take a look? Spend some money buying a home in Ohio? Consider moving to Ohio or coming back if they are from Ohio?
Excellent questions. I left NE Ohio in 1979 and spent 28 years in the Navy mostly in WA state or overseas. Have a home in WA state but currently work overseas in Japan.

Homes are affordable no matter what part of Ohio one chooses to live in. My family and I could use military health care and other military associated benefits should we desire to live around Wright-Patterson AFB.

I've found good school districts in Ohio. Based on what I've read on the internet the Solon school district is a good one. The high school academics are highly rated in Solon and the residents seem to be very supportive of the schools. It also has a large percentage of Asians which eases another of my concerns.

My wife would need to visit a Buddhist temple once in a while and I've found two in Ohio that meet her needs. One in Columbus and one in Huber Heights. I'm sure we can find a grocery store somewhere that has the type of Asian spices she needs.

I guess the main thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger and moving back is finding a job in Ohio I'm willing to take a risk on. I could easily live on my military retirement but I'm only 50 and want to work till 62.

What it's probably going to come down to is waiting till my step-daughter graduates high school to decide. If she chooses a university in Ohio ... then my wife and I will move to Ohio as well.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,914 times
Good healthcare, local clinics, energy assistance, better mental health services, more jobs geared towards seniors. Seniors need things to do just like anyone else to occupy themselves so more local rec centers with more to offer would help keep them here. They need to stay in shape. Also why not think bigger and dream? I think the prototype homes Cleveland is working on are a good idea. However they are priced out of reach currently and they are energy efficient enough yet. However if Ohio can revolutionize homes to be more self sufficient and energy sufficient and actively display them and build newer communities they will definitely attract seniors. That will benefit everyone.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

9,421 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I will remember that next year when I am filing my taxes. I will just tell them that I read on CD that I don't have to pay any taxes on my pension.
Yes indeed. That's nice to know, since we're looking at OH vs. MI for a retirement move.

I think military pensions are exempt in both states. Property taxes in OH are higher, but I understand car insurance is higher in MI.

IF Ohio would revise their tax code and totally delete the property tax, rely only on income and sales taxes, that should attract some people from all groups.

The states that rely only on property taxes (e.g., NH, FL) make that work. But property taxes are arguably the least fair. If you've paid off your house and have been paying property taxes for 50 years and fall on hard times, you could lose your house.

That's not right, the state should NEVER have the ability to take your domicile for something like a property tax bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
A. Yes, they do buy things like HDTVs - and more.

B. Yes, they do pay income tax.

C. Trust me, it's more than just restaurants and hospitals that benefit.
Retirees generally have more disposable income than recent college grads.

They buy more cars, more stuff for the house, some own their own businesses, and the life expectancy of a 60-year-old is 20 to 30 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Not only that, the C-D Ohio forum has some of the most witty and intelligent posters ever to grace the internet!
Best post evah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Global warming.
That would help. Even just Ohio Warming. More productive farms, less snow, more time outside, I'm all for Ohio Warming!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Katsumoto View Post
How can Ohio convince retirees to stop and take a look? Spend some money buying a home in Ohio? Consider moving to Ohio or coming back if they are from Ohio?

Would it help to exempt all retirement income from the state income tax? Presently------just looking at states close to Ohio---- Pennsylvania, Illinois and Tennessee do not tax retirement income. Michigan offers exemptions at different levels. Kentucky offers a $41,100.00 exemption for retirement income.
Not to be rude, but are you kidding me? I am surrounded (in Ohio) by old, old, and more old people! This state needs to find a way to retain young people who pay taxes!!!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Not to be rude, but are you kidding me? I am surrounded (in Ohio) by old, old, and more old people! This state needs to find a way to retain young people who pay taxes!!!
Absolutely! Like someone else stated in this thread, we need to figure out a way to keep young graduates like myself from leaving the state.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Skyegirl & GoBucks86, I'm an old guy and I agree wholeheartedly! I wish I had the magic answer. I know mass transit is an answer, but budgets are VERY tight right now. So we'll have to pay off the Ghost of Bloated Budgets Past, first. Wish I knew a way to encourage the kind of inventiveness that FDAyton and other cities enjoyed in the mid-40s and 50s. But there aren't enough Streve Jobs to go araound. But I am optimistic. I believe things go in cycles so we gotta be comin' back around again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio