Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,235,557 times

Advertisements

Can any of you tell me something about Boardman? Schools? People? Friendly?" What is there to do?

I am looking at a home on Meadowbrook Ave with a Mother in Law suit.
I have a job offer in the works, as does my wife.

Is it a very conservative area? I'm a bit left of center and a Democrat. I'm Jewish my wife Protestant.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 02:46 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Can any of you tell me something about Boardman? Schools? People? Friendly?" What is there to do?

I am looking at a home on Meadowbrook Ave with a Mother in Law suit.
I have a job offer in the works, as does my wife.

Is it a very conservative area? I'm a bit left of center and a Democrat. I'm Jewish my wife Protestant.

Thanks.
Boardman is a rather large suburb of Youngstown. The school district is huge and although they are good schools there are better ones out there in my opinion. I'm not sure what type of area Meadowbrook is in, but neighborhoods closer to the southside of Youngstown tend to be a little seedier than some others.

The people in the Youngstown/Warren area are probably very similar to the people in ne Pa, reserved at first, but friendly once you get to know them. I've found that a lot of times the people vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. When I lived in a high rental area in an older town the people kind of stayed to themselves. In the small town i grew up in people will sometimes wave as they drive by even if they don't know you.

There are a lot of things to do in this area, not to mention the fact that we are an hour from both Cleveland and Pittsburgh and about 45 minutes from Akron. Youngstown has a symphony, playhouse, Covelli Centre, The Butler Institute of American Art, Home | Mill Creek MetroParks, Youngstown State, The Children's Center for Science and Technology and many other activities, especially for families.

This area is heavily Democrat, but not the liberal kind, although you will find that most residents have a live and let live attitude. Because our area was heavily industrialized at one time we used to have a large union membership so we're most likely to vote Democrat when it comes to labor/trade issues. People here are pretty conservative (especially older folks) on the moral issues, but you probably won't hear too much about it. We have a very high Catholic populations due to the number of Italians, Slovaks, etc in this area. We also have decent sized Greek and Puerto Rican populations.

There are also a decent number of protestants and Jews, so you won't feel totally left out. There is a synagogue in Warren off of E. Market St. and I'm sure there are others in the Youngstown/Boardman area as well. There's also Youngstown Jewish Federation - Youngstown, Ohio, Youngstown Jewish Community and there's a Jewish community center. Squaw Creek Country Club used to be a Jewish country club too, so you will be able to find people that have a similar background and beliefs.

If you're looking for an affordable membership to three area country clubs that have golf courses, pools, social memberships, etc you might want to look into Avalon Golf and Country Club Home Page. I know several working class types that belong as well as more well-off types.

If you don't mind me asking, where would you be working or in what area? You might want to consider looking at some places other than Boardman. I find Boardman very congested and I'm not a fan, but I guess it depends on your price range, wants, and needs.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Boardman is a 5 mile wide shopping center from edge to edge, with some housing developements stuffed in where they can. It is a huge school district that borders the City of Youngstown. I personally wouldn't live there, but many people do. You could do better, but you could also do a lot worse.

Now that I see that meadowbrook is between South Avenue, and Southern Boulevard on the North side of Boardman, I would be even less inclined to live there.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
I grew up in Boardman, and it's a fine place to live. It has the most amenities of any suburb of Youngstown (probably even more than the city itself). It also has the largest school district in the area, and the schools were rated Excellent last year (the highest rating given in Ohio). CortlandGirl mentioned a lot of things to do. One of my personal favorites is Mill Creek Park.

Both Cleveland and Pittsburgh are about an hour away, and they both have a lot more to do.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I just graduated college and moved away from the area. I don't think it's the ideal place for 20-somethings.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:39 AM

498 posts, read 1,508,036 times
declining like everywhere else in the youngstown area despite what pro-yo message board activists will lead you to believe. alright. insular. nothing that will keep you occupied for longer than a month or two; you will have to travel to cleveland or pittsburgh to find things to do or be content with high school football, adult kickball and growing large pumpkins.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 PM

46 posts, read 93,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
declining like everywhere else in the youngstown area despite what pro-yo message board activists will lead you to believe. alright. insular. nothing that will keep you occupied for longer than a month or two; you will have to travel to cleveland or pittsburgh to find things to do or be content with high school football, adult kickball and growing large pumpkins.
How is Boardman declining? Based on what facts? And what is with the adult kickball and pumpkins kick?

You don't necessarily need to go to Cleveland and Pittsburgh to be content.....what exactly does Cleveland or Pittsburgh have to offer that this area supposedly does not offer? Outdoor shopping malls with over priced chain restaurants? For example: Legacy Village...OVERRATED!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Not everywhere in the Youngstown area is declining, my town actually grew since the last census and everyone I know has a job.............

Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM

498 posts, read 1,508,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSL1985 View Post
How is Boardman declining?
home values, lack of new investment, fighting in the park.
Quote:
what exactly does Cleveland or Pittsburgh have to offer that this area supposedly does not offer?
more than high school football, adult kickball, and growing large pumpkins. people in cleveland and pittsburgh also are not always culturally three years behind.
Quote:
Outdoor shopping malls with over priced chain restaurants?
replace outdoor shopping malls with strip malls and that is boardman.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
home values, lack of new investment, fighting in the park. more than high school football, adult kickball, and growing large pumpkins. people in cleveland and pittsburgh also are not always culturally three years behind.

replace outdoor shopping malls with strip malls and that is boardman.

So, please tell me how I am culturally three years behind? Again, based on what facts? Because, I am not culturally three years behind ANYONE. People from this area are uneducated? Fighting in the park? WOW. That is going to keep them away!! It happens everyday across America, not just Ytown. Lack of investment? I see new investment in this area today. You choose not to see it.

Adult kickball, large pumpkins and high school football is not an answer. If you are so miserable, maybe take stand, and do something to help "fix" whatever issues you see in this area? Sorry, that I see things differently. And maybe that just adds fuel to the fire, but maybe I sense a little bit of envy in the others who support the area rather than negativity?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:

So, just because you feel that Boardman is declining like everywhere else, we just have to believe it? Because you are right and everyone else is wrong? "Pro-Yo message boards will leave you to believe" How does this differ from yourself, a clear anti-yo message board activist? We're in the same boat here, you will lead anyone to believe this area is so terrible and is basically a waste land just as much as any "pro-yo activist" will promote the area.

I guess we can agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio