Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,641,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
Miami University:
The 2nd or 3rd most difficult school to get into in the state (behind Case and/or maybe tOSU).

tOSU really? OSU had open admissions until the early 90s. That meant anybody could get accepted. My experience with OSU is that was where you went if you could not get into the other schools of your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,497,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
tOSU really? OSU had open admissions until the early 90s. That meant anybody could get accepted. My experience with OSU is that was where you went if you could not get into the other schools of your choice.
So the early 90s were 20 years ago. A little basic internet research goes a long way.

Ohio State

Miami let's many more students in.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...niversity-7104

Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM

213 posts, read 698,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
When did the Buckeyes ever play Dayton in recent history?
That last sentence was satire only given as an example of how non-OSU fanatics can't stand listening to the boasting of the beatdowns against lackluster competition Ohio State sometimes competes against (MAC schools). For the record, I am an OSU fan, but here in Columbus all the cubicle and water cooler talk about the football program is madenning.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 PM

912 posts, read 1,736,073 times
OSU keeps their freshman acceptance rate low, so they look better in all the rankings. However, they accept just about anyone as a transfer student after a year or two at another university or community college. They accept more transfers than any other school in Ohio, and more than almost any other school in the country. They also have one of the highest transfer acceptance rates at 85%.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
OSU keeps their freshman acceptance rate low, so they look better in all the rankings. However, they accept just about anyone as a transfer student after a year or two at another university or community college. They accept more transfers than any other school in Ohio, and more than almost any other school in the country. They also have one of the highest transfer acceptance rates at 85%.
So none of the transfer students deserve to go to Columbus campus? And all of them come from satellite campuses? 3,000 transfer students per year compared to a total enrollment of 56,387 in Columbus...

If you read the article I posted, OSU accepted 64% of 28,675 applicants last year, or 18,352. People would rather go to OSU than OU, Cincinnati, Youngstown, BG, etc. Those other schools don't come close to that number. You have to raise your standards and lower admission rates if you're Ohio State. They are running out of dorm space and other resources for all students as it is.

Osu is the most selective school in Ohio. Sorry.

Edit: Actually, Case is the most selective school in Ohio, with a 51% admission rate. OSU is, however, the most selective public school.

Last edited by bjimmy24; 02-03-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM

912 posts, read 1,736,073 times
I know OSU is the most selective public school in the state, in terms of freshmen acceptance rate. I don't think anyone is arguing that. What I'm saying is that while OSU is rather selective for freshmen, it's pretty easy to get into as a transfer.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
I know OSU is the most selective public school in the state, in terms of freshmen acceptance rate. I don't think anyone is arguing that. What I'm saying is that while OSU is rather selective for freshmen, it's pretty easy to get into as a transfer.
Fair enough.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:33 PM

24,153 posts, read 32,574,102 times
OSU may be the most selective because it's the most famous. So they can raise their standards for admission because of the volume of applications. The main reason thay OSU is famous because of sports, not academic.

If you ask ten random Americans to name a college or university in Ohio, I'll bet seven out of ten will say "Ohio State". Name recognition often translates into a large volume of applicants.

I don't think OSU is the best choice in Ohio. Ohio has a surprising amount of excellent colleges and universities for one state. I just do not believe that OSU is the best one but it may well be the largest. Still biggest isn't always best.

Kenyon in Gambier Ohio rank "most competitive" as does Obelin. Neither one is terribly large or well known outside of academic circles.

Last edited by sheena12; 02-03-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OSU may be the most selective because it's the most famous. So they can raise their standards for admission because of the volume of applications. The main reason thay OSU is famous because of sports, not athletics.

If you ask ten random Americans to name a college or university in Ohio, I'll bet seven out of ten will say "Ohio State". Name recognition often translates into a large volume of applicants.

I don't think OSU is the best choice in Ohio. Ohio has a surprising amount of excellent colleges and universities for one state. I just do not believe that OSU is the best one but it may well be the largest. Still biggest isn't always best.

Kenyon in Gambier Ohio rank "most competitive" as does Obelin. Neither one is terribly large or well known outside of academic circles.
True- Ohio has some nice universities. Kenyon and Oberlin are definitely some of the best, not just in Ohio either. But in relation to OP's concerns, I would probably recommend Ohio State.

But for the record, education at pretty much any university is largely what YOU make of it. I think you can get a fine education at Kent State, Oberlin, Case, UC, John Carroll, anywhere in the state.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:52 PM

24,153 posts, read 32,574,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
True- Ohio has some nice universities. Kenyon and Oberlin are definitely some of the best, not just in Ohio either. But in relation to OP's concerns, I would probably recommend Ohio State.

But for the record, education at pretty much any university is largely what YOU make of it. I think you can get a fine education at Kent State, Oberlin, Case, UC, John Carroll, anywhere in the state.

Ohio really does have a higher than average amount of competitive to highly competitive colleges and universities many that are quite well known and other hidden gems.

It's state school system seems to offer something for everyone with a huge selection of majors, resonable tuition and a diversity of settings from urban to rural and everything in between.

There are also many good private colleges and universities. A few have been mentioned and here are some others worth noting - Case Western Reserve, College of Wooster, Dennison University, Ohio Wesleyan, Wittenberg, Dayton, Hirum, and Capital. I have also heard that 1960s alternative school icon and alma Mater of Coretta Scott King , Antioch College is making a comeback.

Lots of smarties in the Buckeye State! New England move over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio