Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 05:46 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times

Advertisements

Ohio was never really a bad place to be. It just isn't what the media tells us is exciting. Reminds me of that sitcom The Middle. I know that's Indiana, but it is a pretty close representation of what it can be like in Ohio at times, particularly in the smaller towns. But there was always something going on. Or Third Rock From the Sun. That's sort of like Ohio, for me anyway.

Ohio is an acquired taste; even for those that grew up there. Always has been, always will be. I've lived in other states and I've seen other states. Ohio isn't really that bad after all.

I would love to see a proper representation of Ohio for a change. Big or small screen, doesn't matter to me. I was never bored there. I'm not saying that I am in Virginia, it has it's own quirks and special things about it, but I am saying that from what I've heard from people from other areas that spent any time in Ohio they always found something to like about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 11:18 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ohio was never really a bad place to be. It just isn't what the media tells us is exciting. Reminds me of that sitcom The Middle. I know that's Indiana, but it is a pretty close representation of what it can be like in Ohio at times, particularly in the smaller towns. But there was always something going on. Or Third Rock From the Sun. That's sort of like Ohio, for me anyway.

Ohio is an acquired taste; even for those that grew up there. Always has been, always will be. I've lived in other states and I've seen other states. Ohio isn't really that bad after all.

I would love to see a proper representation of Ohio for a change. Big or small screen, doesn't matter to me. I was never bored there. I'm not saying that I am in Virginia, it has it's own quirks and special things about it, but I am saying that from what I've heard from people from other areas that spent any time in Ohio they always found something to like about it.
The image of Ohio is a giant farm with almost no people. Never understood why. I grew up taking trains around Cleveland, playing hockey, eating pizza, Thai food, and polish fare. After college, I went out to new bars every weekend for like six months. Just so much to do, and that's just one city. But when I meet people on the east coast, they assume I rode a tractor. I never even owned a car in Ohio. Very frustrating. There are some who have actually traveled between the coasts who are a bit more informed, but very rare to meet someone who really can tell you anything concrete. It's time Ohioans become a bit prouder.

Ohio is really one of the most fascinating places in the country. It varies so much. It is Great Lakes, Appalachia, small town America, semi southern, and so much more. We have three (debatably four?) major cities and numerous secondary ones (Akron, Dayton, etc.) that are also good in their own right. We have different histories, accents, customs, and food just a couple hours drive or less from any point in the state. I really don't know a place that compares. Not saying Ohio is "better" than any other place, but it's just very misrepresented, even among its natives, which is sad.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:16 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
What is Marietta like? I find it on my atlas but can't find information about it. I will see it when I visit an old friend who lives in Parkersburg. But that won't be until spring. I'm searching for my 'forever' retirement spot & have pretty much decided on Tennessee, West Virginia, & now Ohio sounds intriguing. I need a low col as I am living on Social Security & a small pension. Unfortunately, Minnesota is too cold for me now but I still want 4 seasons; just not as cold.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
II
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The image of Ohio is a giant farm with almost no people. Never understood why. I grew up taking trains around Cleveland, playing hockey, eating pizza, Thai food, and polish fare. After college, I went out to new bars every weekend for like six months. Just so much to do, and that's just one city. But when I meet people on the east coast, they assume I rode a tractor. I never even owned a car in Ohio. Very frustrating. There are some who have actually traveled between the coasts who are a bit more informed, but very rare to meet someone who really can tell you anything concrete. It's time Ohioans become a bit prouder.

Ohio is really one of the most fascinating places in the country. It varies so much. It is Great Lakes, Appalachia, small town America, semi southern, and so much more. We have three (debatably four?) major cities and numerous secondary ones (Akron, Dayton, etc.) that are also good in their own right. We have different histories, accents, customs, and food just a couple hours drive or less from any point in the state. I really don't know a place that compares. Not saying Ohio is "better" than any other place, but it's just very misrepresented, even among its natives, which is sad.

People get it once they've been to Ohio. But Ohio used to have better representation. WKRP was a huge show back in the day. Most old timers know about Devo, The Pretenders, Ohio Players, Dayton's funk scene. Drew Carey Show was a good look as well.

Younger people might know The Black Keys. My point is that anyone with half a brain knows this music, this culture, doesn't come from the country. Not to mention our professional sports teams.

There are ignorant people that assume Ohio is Iowa but those people need to get out more. They're small minded.

I was watching Cooley High and someone from Baltimore was surprised to know that Chicago had so many tall buildings. And this was in college. Um, Baltimore doesn't even have that many tall buildings.

So, SMH, yeah. But this is from someone who may have never left the East Coast. I've actually drove through Chicago and looked up at those buildings. Drove through one of them.

Backwards dimwits that don't know anything other than their backyard, I wouldn't worry about them.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What is Marietta like? I find it on my atlas but can't find information about it. I will see it when I visit an old friend who lives in Parkersburg. But that won't be until spring. I'm searching for my 'forever' retirement spot & have pretty much decided on Tennessee, West Virginia, & now Ohio sounds intriguing. I need a low col as I am living on Social Security & a small pension. Unfortunately, Minnesota is too cold for me now but I still want 4 seasons; just not as cold.
I too am living on SS and a tiny pension which is why I relocated from Portland OR to an inner ring suburb of Cleveland, OH. I don't know about Marietta, but I can tell you that my money goes alot farther here in Ohio. I have enough to live on with a nice amount left over.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:19 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've lived in MN and OH.

Based on what you describe, OH (even northeast Ohio) might be a good compromise. Even in the north winters are a bit milder/shorter (though can be snowier if you live in the stretch that is prime "snow belt").

Spring/fall are longer. Summers? Ok, so I prefer MN summers, but you can't have everything.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:18 PM

555 posts, read 892,489 times
Marietta has a reasonably low COL, though Parkersburg may be a bit cheaper. Marietta is generally considered, even by Parkersburg folks, to have more charm. It does have a city income tax, but pensions and SS are not taxable. I have lived here for thirty-plus years (transplanted from Florida) and have loved the place despite its drawbacks. We may be relocating in retirement because my spouse is looking for someplace with more live music.

If you want to "see" Marietta, this organization has some nice videos. http://www.goodlifemarietta.com/home

Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 AM

51 posts, read 48,462 times
For many years, I've longed to return to the Midwest - for a variety of reasons, which I won't go into because it would require a whole 'nother thread. And for many years, I refused to even consider my own home region, NW Ohio. But some things have changed - both in NW Ohio and in myself. To answer the OP's question (why Ohio?):

1. Trails. There are now some nice, long, scenic trails in NW Ohio that didn't exist when I was growing up: Wabash-Cannonball, Slippery Elm, Towpath. Also, Oak Openings Preserve and the Maumee State Forest. Without these public, pedestrian places, I wouldn't even consider moving there.
2. Bicycling. Sure, you can bicycle here in the mountains, and I have to admit that the mountain biking options here are practically limitless. But I remember, growing up, riding the country roads in Wood County. One-lane roads, with almost no traffic. Farmers, out in the fields on their tractors, would wave at you as you rode by. As I get older, the idea of cruising along fairly flat country roads - as opposed to struggling up the side of a mountain - gets more appealing.
3. History. I'm kind of embarrassed that I never took the time to explore and learn more of my home state's history - especially Native American history. I went to high school (well, the first two years, anyway) in Tontogany, and never thought to learn how the town got its name.
4. Geography, geology, hydrology, meteorology: It's all good. Sure, mountains are beautiful, but so are deciduous trees, rivers, eskers, kanes, oak savannas, and really really big lakes. And humidity, often scorned, is a blessing to those of us who suffer from extreme eczema. My skin can't wait to escape from the desiccating effects of high-altitude air.
5. People. The term "Midwest Friendly" has been made real to me on my last couple of visits to Ohio and Michigan. It's a different vibe from the West. I hope I've interpreted this correctly, and am not just seeing things through optimally-tinted lenses!

So, in summary, there are a lot of good reasons to move to Ohio, IMO. I just hope that a lot of folks DON'T move to Ohio. If you really want to ruin a place, just have millions of people move there. Come and drive on the freeways in the greater Denver area and you'll see what I'm referring to!

Old 12-19-2015, 01:43 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,711,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
For many years, I've longed to return to the Midwest - for a variety of reasons, which I won't go into because it would require a whole 'nother thread....
These are all admirable and solid reasons (not to insinuate that a stranger's affirmation is somehow necessary or requested). But I can't help mentioning that homecoming after long absence is different from relocation to an unfamiliar and alien locale. We invariably have fondness for our home-towns, home-states, or (in my case) home-country. I came to Ohio, ironically, because of the job-market. My job is a throwback to the era of unrivaled American industrial dominance, and while today that dominance is somewhere between a fond memory and a tasteless joke, it oddly turns out that I couldn't do what I do in NYC, DC or Boston; it's only possible in the suburb of a second-tier city in Ohio.

What I miss is the throbbing energy of 10+ million people sharing a truly global metropolis. I miss the spine-tingling majesty of strolling down Wall Street, the noise of speeding subway cars, the signage in my native language on Brooklyn storefronts. It's taken me decades of living in the Midwest to realize that I can never properly become American - not in the sense of Augie March or Huck Finn or even Holden Caulfield. Raised in what some generations prior to my birth was the onetime imperial capital, and then spending time in America's largest city, I can't take seriously as a "city" a place that doesn't have an international airport with truly global reach, an underground train network with more lines than colors in the rainbow, with institutions that aren't merely world-famous but which definite the very essence of what paces the modern world.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:08 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
These are all admirable and solid reasons (not to insinuate that a stranger's affirmation is somehow necessary or requested). But I can't help mentioning that homecoming after long absence is different from relocation to an unfamiliar and alien locale. We invariably have fondness for our home-towns, home-states, or (in my case) home-country. I came to Ohio, ironically, because of the job-market. My job is a throwback to the era of unrivaled American industrial dominance, and while today that dominance is somewhere between a fond memory and a tasteless joke, it oddly turns out that I couldn't do what I do in NYC, DC or Boston; it's only possible in the suburb of a second-tier city in Ohio.

What I miss is the throbbing energy of 10+ million people sharing a truly global metropolis. I miss the spine-tingling majesty of strolling down Wall Street, the noise of speeding subway cars, the signage in my native language on Brooklyn storefronts. It's taken me decades of living in the Midwest to realize that I can never properly become American - not in the sense of Augie March or Huck Finn or even Holden Caulfield. Raised in what some generations prior to my birth was the onetime imperial capital, and then spending time in America's largest city, I can't take seriously as a "city" a place that doesn't have an international airport with truly global reach, an underground train network with more lines than colors in the rainbow, with institutions that aren't merely world-famous but which definite the very essence of what paces the modern world.
Yeah, but once I stopped being obsessed with the superficial popularity contest stuff, I felt like I became happier. The check lists don't really matter when the inhabitants of some of these cities tend to be self obsessed narcissists who don't really care about associating with their neighbors unless they feel like they can gain something.

I do currently live in boston and I enjoy it. I just think Cleveland has everything Boston has without the price tag and some of the arrogance. But I agree that living in a variety of places is the best way to find out what you like. No plans to leave boston as I have a great job that pays well and builds my resume, but I do know I want to be in Cleveland probably in the next 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio