Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 08:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I've talked to MANY people in Greater Cincinnati that view it as a superior place to live than Greater Cleveland. Consider your sample size and basis for your argument. Of course individuals in NE Ohio are not going to think the grass is greener LOL!
It's tiresome how your sample sizes and sources, none of which are ascertainable, are the basis for your bashings. Let's stick to objective, verifiable facts.

Persons in Greater Cleveland don't imagine the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall, the Cavaliers, PlayhouseSquare, Lake Erie, Holden Arboretum, Blossom Music Center, the West Side Market, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, Cedar Point, Ohio Amish Country, and much more. They joyfully live these realities.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-22-2015 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 09:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
In turn, please let me cut to the chase...

WRnative doesn't like Greater Cincinnati posters who stand up to his belittlement of SW Ohio and who refuse to accept his grandiose arguments that Greater Cleveland is unquestionably Ohio's preeminent region.

All his ad nauseam dissertations portraying Cleveland as a Midwestern cultural mecca consistently sidestep the fact that Cincinnati has emerged as Ohio's preeminent corporate city and will soon surpass Cleveland in GDP - thus bringing recognition to SW Ohio as the state's leading economic engine.

Undoubtedly, for WRnative the psychological necessity to conveniently ignore this troubling picture has become paramount. Therefore, it's become all too easy for him to strike out at Maxmodder for calling his bluff, rather than himself taking a long look into the mirror.
Notice how WRnative makes statements like "let's stick to objective, verifiable facts" but then conveniently overlooks the facts which have been presented before him and goes on one of his famous preaching to the choir rebuttals on how he lives joyful realities of Cleveland. He resides in Mentor (one of my many old stomping grounds in NE Ohio) and circumvents the facts that greater cincy has the top schools in ohio and that I live in a place that was voted #7 in the US as the greatest places to live. He likes to respond by telling me all about what he views as the great offerings of NE Ohio when I've already experienced them all first hand, as I lived there for 28 years. As such, it's no surprise that I have to extend my long reach to Cleveland from time to time and help those who are inquiring about various areas, as I lay out both the positives and negatives.

WRnative? This guy is a confirmed Cleveland homer (he's not the only culprit) who takes offense to the fact that a former long time NE Ohio resident no longer lives there, and is instead enjoying life in Ohio much more so while not living in NE Ohio. Whenever someone posts something negative about NE Ohio or Cleveland, he goes into Cleveland defender mode and attempts to discredit them by claiming they are not presenting facts, even thought the facts are plain as day. WRnative's bluff get's called every time he responds to one of my posts. I was told by the mods to not bother responding to his antics but I once again am guilty for taking the bait.

Top Ohio High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

MONEY's Best Places to Live: #7 Mason, OH

Best Places to Live 2015: Mason, Ohio

Last edited by maxmodder; 12-22-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 10:06 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
This seems like an awfully long post in response to an off-hand remark about Cincinnati.
Well when I'm off the forum for awhile and I come back and read things like "red-headed stepchild of Ohio" I feel obligated to set the record straight that the color of a quarterback's hair doesn't dictate an entire region. The links provided paint a much clearer picture about greater Cincinnati. Much more so than listening to the opinions of those who think greater Cincinnati doesn't per say, have 4 seasons. Statements like that just tell me that the opinion in question is based off of having no experience whatsoever with the area in question.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Notice how WRnative makes statements like "let's stick to objective, verifiable facts" but then conveniently overlooks the facts which have been presented before him and goes on one of his famous preaching to the choir rebuttals on how he lives joyful realities of Cleveland. He resides in Mentor (one of my many old stomping grounds in NE Ohio) and circumvents the facts that greater cincy has the top schools in ohio and that I live in a place that was voted #7 in the US as the greatest places to live. He likes to respond by telling me all about what he views as the great offerings of NE Ohio when I've already experienced them all first hand, as I lived there for 28 years which makes it even more ironic. This guy is a confirmed Cleveland homer who takes offense to the fact that a former long time NE Ohio resident no longer lives there, and is instead enjoying life in Ohio much more so while not living in NE Ohio. Whenever someone posts something negative about NE Ohio or Cleveland, he goes into Cleveland defender mode and attempts to discredit them by claiming they are not presenting facts, even thought the facts are plain as day. WRnative's bluff get's called every time he responds to one of my posts. I was told by the mods to not bother responding to his antics but I once again am guilty for taking the bait.

Top Ohio High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

MONEY's Best Places to Live: #7 Mason, OH

Best Places to Live 2015: Mason, Ohio
Those CNN ratings change every year. Several Cleveland communities have made the top 50 lists in years past, including even Mentor (where I don't live BTW).

There are superb public schools and private schools in Greater Cleveland. And Case Western Reserve is the top-rated national university in Ohio, a fact which you have ignored.

I listed what is great about Greater Cleveland. You can't get outside of Mason. Your "plain as day" facts are virtually non-existent regarding Greater Cincinnati.

There's no "bluff." Myself and others have different enjoyments and priorities than you, and it's amazing that you try to fit everyone into your shoes. It's disgusting that you're obsessed with bashing Cleveland with psychological babble, actually devoid of logic and facts.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Well when I'm off the forum for awhile and I come back and read things like "red-headed stepchild of Ohio" I feel obligated to set the record straight that the color of a quarterback's hair doesn't dictate an entire region. The links provided paint a much clearer picture about greater Cincinnati. Much more so than listening to the opinions of those who think greater Cincinnati doesn't per say, have 4 seasons. Statements like that just tell me that the opinion in question is based off of having no experience whatsoever with the area in question.
I never said that Cincinnati didn't have four seasons of weather.

What I did do was list many of the attributes in Greater Cleveland that make winter enjoyable, and asked you what was comparable in Cincinnati.

You never answered my questions, and, instead attributed a ridiculous statement to me that I never made.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
WRnative? This guy is a confirmed Cleveland homer (he's not the only culprit) who takes offense to the fact that a former long time NE Ohio resident no longer lives there, and is instead enjoying life in Ohio much more so while not living in NE Ohio.
What I and others object to is Cleveland bashing. We couldn't care less that you left Greater Cleveland and are more happy living in Mason. Great for you! I'm glad you're happy with your decision.

Just don't belittle us and insult our sanity for not sharing your enthusiasm for moving to Greater Cincinnati and leaving behind what we greatly enjoy in Greater Cleveland. We clearly have different values and enjoyments in life than you.

BTW, Charles Barkley, one of the all-time NBA greats never won an NBA championship. Oscar Robertson, one of the greats of the greats, never won one until he left Cincinnati for Milwaukee and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. NBA basketball is decidedly a team sport, and there likely are no GMs that wouldn't want LeBron James today as anchor for their team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_...ertson_suit.27

Last edited by WRnative; 12-22-2015 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 10:36 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Ohio has something for everyone. The only thing I would say about Ohio that is dissimilar to the rest of the county is that the area does not seem to be as racially diverse as other states, particularly along the West and East Coasts, and now, in comparison to the New South. It is primarily a Black and White affair in Ohio. Some of the larger cities are more racially diverse, and North Akron has a lot of Bhutanese of late but it seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Asians in Ohio are like 2%, compared to 5% for the country and Hispanics are like 3%, compared to 17% for the country. When I was growing up there (70s and 80s) if I didn't see anyone other than a Black or White person I wouldn't think anything of it.

Ohio may never house anything like New York, or even Chicago or Los Angeles, but there always seems to be a small microcosm of whatever those cities have going on, in Ohio.

On the other hand the percentage of Blacks in Ohio is right in line with the national percentage. That obviously is not the case in the major cities but it is clearly reflected in the small towns and rural areas, and sometimes suburbia and exurbia as well. Depending on how you interpret the data, it does not get any more "American" than Ohio.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-22-2015 at 10:46 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
In turn, please let me cut to the chase...

WRnative doesn't like Greater Cincinnati posters who stand up to his belittlement of SW Ohio and who refuse to accept his grandiose arguments that Greater Cleveland is unquestionably Ohio's preeminent region.

All his ad nauseam dissertations portraying Cleveland as a Midwestern cultural mecca consistently sidestep the fact that Cincinnati has emerged as Ohio's preeminent corporate city and will soon surpass Cleveland in GDP - thus bringing recognition to SW Ohio as the state's leading economic engine.

Undoubtedly, for WRnative the psychological necessity to conveniently ignore this troubling picture has become paramount. Therefore, it's become all too easy for him to strike out at Maxmodder for calling his bluff, rather than himself taking a long look into the mirror.
For the record, while it's fresh in my mind, check out Motorman's Maxmodder-like bashing of northern Ohio in post 49 of this thread, and my response in post 50.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...l#post42265941

Motorman, if you don't want Cincinnati "belittled," which I don't do as I often recommend it and many of the attractions in Greater Cincinnati, don't bash northern Ohio or Cleveland. Unlike Maxmodder with Cleveland, I don't go out of my way to comment on Cincinnati.

Motorman, you might be interested in what cultured travelers are reading:

20 Must-See Art Museums in America | Fodor's Travel

Old 12-22-2015, 12:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ohio has something for everyone. The only thing I would say about Ohio that is dissimilar to the rest of the county is that the area does not seem to be as racially diverse as other states, particularly along the West and East Coasts, and now, in comparison to the New South. It is primarily a Black and White affair in Ohio. Some of the larger cities are more racially diverse, and North Akron has a lot of Bhutanese of late but it seems to be the exception, not the rule.

Asians in Ohio are like 2%, compared to 5% for the country and Hispanics are like 3%, compared to 17% for the country. When I was growing up there (70s and 80s) if I didn't see anyone other than a Black or White person I wouldn't think anything of it.

Ohio may never house anything like New York, or even Chicago or Los Angeles, but there always seems to be a small microcosm of whatever those cities have going on, in Ohio.

On the other hand the percentage of Blacks in Ohio is right in line with the national percentage. That obviously is not the case in the major cities but it is clearly reflected in the small towns and rural areas, and sometimes suburbia and exurbia as well. Depending on how you interpret the data, it does not get any more "American" than Ohio.

I think Hispanics ( mainly Mexicans) tend to migrate to the coasts and "right to work states" or cities that don't have a strong union worker base. Very few Mexicans in Cleveland.
I'm currently working on a large building project in Maryland and 80% of the workers are non english speaking Mexicans.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
The percentages of the country as a whole are misleading. It's not like most cities have 6% asians and 17% hispanics. They tend to congregate in areas. Mexicans live largely in the southwest and there are tons of them. Not somuch elsewhere.

Also ignores the tons of different people of eastern European heritage in cleveland. There are very few poles, Hungarians, slovaks, Croatians in boston for example. Which is no fun, can't get the food is like there the same way that I can in cleveland.

Just consider the larger picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio