Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You're right, all bad things have only happened in Cleveland or Ohio somewhere. No matter that he was from Puerto Rico. Bad things have never happened anywhere else.
It is not about bad things happening in Ohio, it is about dysfunctional "neighborhoods" of isolated, indifferent people allowing bad things like that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 05:05 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
It is not about bad things happening in Ohio, it is about dysfunctional "neighborhoods" of isolated, indifferent people allowing bad things like that to happen.
I agree, only isolated violent neighborhoods happen in Ohio!!!

except for I guess New York City, where 13 people were shot in east New York at one house party for apparently no reason. And Baltimore, with a higher murder count this year than any year in the last 43 years. And Boston where three neighborhoods, including one about 1 mile from the core, account for virtually all violent crime. I could go on and on.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:20 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And there are dysfunctional neighborhoods and people - EVERYWHERE.

Heard about Charles Manson? What about the torture slaying of Sylvia Likens? What about home invasions that happen in every state in the US?

Are you in some way saying that these horrific events are unique to Ohio?

Last edited by sheena12; 08-05-2015 at 06:41 PM..

Old 08-05-2015, 06:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And there are dysfunctional neighborhoods and people - EVERYWHERE.

Heard about Charles Manson? What about the torture slaying of Sylvia Likens? What about home invasions that happen in every stae in the US?

Are yoiu in some way saying that these horrific events are unique to Ohio?
The Sylvia Likens case is new to me. It's incredibly gruesome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Likens

I can't even joke about it and Indianapolis.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:48 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

I can't either. I didn't find out about it until 15 years after it happened.

Although geographically close, Indiana seems a world away from Ohio.

I have been haunted by the murder of Sylvia since I found out about it. There are many threads about Ms. Lykens murder on this forum. Put her name into "search"and many will come up.

There is a film about this called "An American Crime" It's hard to watch. But what happened toher was far worse.

A book "House of Evil" by John Dean is more accurate. And gruesome.

But - this did not happen in Ohio.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:

Wow I had never heard about that. Horrible things have happened everywhere. It is not a reflection of a city. It's just tragic.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
I liked growing up in Ohio, its a great place to raise a family especially the Columbus area. The appeal is they have hard working down to earth people and its not as superficial as the East and West Coast.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:10 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
We wish we moved here - 28 years ago - when we were first married. Ohio is a great family state with a reasonable cost of living.

Beautiful housing and low key people. We considered the south for about a month. With all that is going on down there, with the Confederate Flag and people calling the civil war "The War of Northern Aggression" - we made the right choice.

I love sports. I am a NY Knicks Fan but I am going to a Cavs game again this year. I love the Mets - but I'm trying to love the Indians too. Same goes with the Browns. I'm a Jets fan. But I have room in my heart for the Browns.

People here are laid back and cool. Ohio is a good place to live.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
I've thought about writing a combined travel/history book about Ohio, but there are all of Neil Zurcher's books out there. Have you read any of them?

I've loved history most of life. I would rather read history books than mysteries.
I have not, but will have to give them a read. I'm sure there's a unique/updated angle you could take.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,147,006 times
Ohio isn't sexy, but it has nothing to be ashamed of. I'm going to post something EVERYBODY should think about and proving the old adage that "statistics are for losers."

Has anybody ever looked at a map? Texas is about the size of all 5 Great Lakes states (Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin) taken together in terms of area (300,000-ish acres for the Great Lakes vs. 265,000-ish acres for Texas).

Population - Texas is about 28 million, versus 46 million for the Great Lakes states.

Texas GDP 1,602,584,000,000 (1.6 Trillion); vs Great Lakes GDP 2,397,659,000,000 (2.4 Trillion)

Per capita GDP - virtually the same.

Plenty of water and farmland.

Moderate temperatures.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Take all the garbage you hear about how great Texas is and throw it out the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio