Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2015, 04:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Pennsylvania 27 of my 29 years. I've resided near Downtown Pittsburgh for the past five years. During my stint here in the Steel City I've spent an appreciable amount of time in Ohio, and I really like it overall.

To me Ohio is a great microcosm of the United States at-large. You have cosmopolitan, diverse, and vibrant large cities (Cleveland, Columbus, and, yes, Cincinnati, the red-headed stepchild of the Ohio forum for whatever reason); bland, predictable, yet safe newer suburban areas (i.e. Boardman, Kettering, Solon, etc.); hip "streetcar" suburbs (i.e. Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Cuyahoga Falls, etc.); smaller post-Industrial cities that can appeal to those seeking a very low cost-of-living (i.e. Youngstown, Ashtabula, Zanesville, Lima, etc.); college towns (Bowling Green, Kent, Delaware, etc.); and peaceful rural areas dotted with agriculture, the Amish, and pastures. It has left-of-center urban areas and right-of-center suburban and rural areas, just like our nation at-large. The state experiences four distinct seasons.

I find Ohioans are the most critical about their own state while transplants/visitors seem to be more optimistic and idealistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I've lived in Pennsylvania 27 of my 29 years. I've resided near Downtown Pittsburgh for the past five years. During my stint here in the Steel City I've spent an appreciable amount of time in Ohio, and I really like it overall.

To me Ohio is a great microcosm of the United States at-large. You have cosmopolitan, diverse, and vibrant large cities (Cleveland, Columbus, and, yes, Cincinnati, the red-headed stepchild of the Ohio forum for whatever reason); bland, predictable, yet safe newer suburban areas (i.e. Boardman, Kettering, Solon, etc.); hip "streetcar" suburbs (i.e. Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, Cuyahoga Falls, etc.); smaller post-Industrial cities that can appeal to those seeking a very low cost-of-living (i.e. Youngstown, Ashtabula, Zanesville, Lima, etc.); college towns (Bowling Green, Kent, Delaware, etc.); and peaceful rural areas dotted with agriculture, the Amish, and pastures. It has left-of-center urban areas and right-of-center suburban and rural areas, just like our nation at-large. The state experiences four distinct seasons.

I find Ohioans are the most critical about their own state while transplants/visitors seem to be more optimistic and idealistic.
What are you basing Cincinnati as being the "red-headed stepchild of Ohio forum" on? Comments from Clevelanders who actually believe that places like Mason Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) are 2nd rate even though said city was voted top 10 places to live in all of the US. Ignorance is bliss, I know. Whatever someone needs to tell themselves to feel good about where they live I guess. If suburbs of Cincy like Mason are considered 2nd rate in Ohio relative to NE Ohio, then why do they rank so highly? Why do places like Walnut Hills and Indian Hill (suburbs of Cincy) have the best high schools in all of Ohio?

Top Ohio High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

MONEY's Best Places to Live: #7 Mason, OH

Best Places to Live 2015: Mason, Ohio

Please steer clear of the Cincinnati bashers and their agenda that stems from not realizing that the grass may truly be greener on the other side for other individuals. If someone really enjoys where they live like I do, they aren't going to be posting about it everyday and talking about how great it is like certain forum members do. Someone that actually enjoys where they live is too busy enjoying rather than constantly posting about it.

Bring up the view on how great Pittsburgh is when you exit the tunnel and some Cleveland homer is quick to comment on how much better the Cleveland skyline view is. *sigh*

Many of the Ohioans that post negatively about Cincinnati and it's suburbs probably do so to help them feel better about their decision to continue to live in another part of Ohio. I lived in NE Ohio for 28 years and if there was justification for me to avoid having to drive 4 hours to see my relatives and friends that I grew up with, I would certainly be in NE Ohio. The fact is, I like Mason better than NE Ohio area. The best people in NE Ohio are those that wake up enjoying where they live and don't feel the need to come on here and use it as a coping mechanism to convince themselves that they are happy, when they are not. I can't imagine living life like that. Being tied down to a given area for whatever reason despite not liking it there. Forget that!

I do find it rather entertaining when some hipster who enters the work force for the first time fresh out of college tries to justify spending $1500 a month on an apartment in the "hip cities" in Ohio because it isn't "bland and predictable" when they could instead be paying half that in a safe suburb that is only a 10 minute commute. It's pure fiscal irresponsibility and no amount of "why do you care how someone else spends their money" poor logic is going to change the fact that they will end up in their parents basement to pay off their college debt because they thought it would be a good idea to "experience" the city life fresh out of college with debt. Whoops.

Some people wake up every morning knowing that they are doing it right by living where they are living, while others rush to post something positive about their city on city-data.com when they wake up to make you feel better about where they live.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:20 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
What are you basing Cincinnati as being the "red-headed stepchild of Ohio forum" on? Comments from Clevelanders who actually believe that places like Mason Ohio (a suburb of Cincinnati) are 2nd rate even though said city was voted top 10 places to live in all of the US. Ignorance is bliss, I know. Whatever someone needs to tell themselves to feel good about where they live I guess. If suburbs of Cincy like Mason are considered 2nd rate in Ohio relative to NE Ohio, then why do they rank so highly? Why do places like Walnut Hills and Indian Hill (suburbs of Cincy) have the best high schools in all of Ohio?

Please steer clear of the Cincinnati bashers and their agenda that stems from not realizing that the grass may truly be greener on the other side for other individuals. If someone really enjoys where they live like I do, they aren't going to be posting about it everyday and talking about how great it is like certain forum members do. Someone that actually enjoys where they live is too busy enjoying rather than constantly posting about it.

Bring up the view on how great Pittsburgh is when you exit the tunnel and some Cleveland homer is quick to comment on how much better the Cleveland skyline view is. *sigh*

Many of the Ohioans that post negatively about Cincinnati and it's suburbs probably do so to help them feel better about their decision to continue to live in another part of Ohio. I lived in NE Ohio for 28 years and if there was justification for me to avoid having to drive 4 hours to see my relatives and friends that I grew up with, I would certainly be in NE Ohio. The fact is, I like Mason better than NE Ohio area. The best people in NE Ohio are those that wake up enjoying where they live and don't feel the need to come on here and use it as a coping mechanism to convince themselves that they are happy, when they are not. I can't imagine living life like that. Being tied down to a given area for whatever reason despite not liking it there. Forget that!

I do find it rather entertaining when some hipster who enters the work force for the first time fresh out of college tries to justify spending $1500 a month on an apartment in the "hip cities" in Ohio because it isn't "bland and predictable" when they could instead be paying half that in a safe suburb that is only a 10 minute commute. It's pure fiscal irresponsibility and no amount of "why do you care how someone else spends their money" poor logic is going to change the fact that they will end up in their parents basement to pay off their college debt because they thought it would be a good idea to "experience" the city life fresh out of college with debt. Whoops.

Some people wake up every morning knowing that they are doing it right by living where they are living, while others rush to post something positive about their city on city-data.com when they wake up to make you feel better about where they live.
Let me cut to the chase.

Maxmodder doesn't like Greater Cleveland posters who stand up to his many and varied insults levied on northeast Ohio, and who refuse to accept his argument that Greater Cincinnati is a superior place to live compared to northeast Ohio.

His constant attempts, as demonstrated in the above post, to personalize (e.g., "the best people in NE Ohio") his insults merely make his statements more offensive. What's the psychological motivation for Maxmodder's posts, such as the one above??? People defend where they live because they aren't happy there?

Old 12-22-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Let me cut to the chase.

Maxmodder doesn't like Greater Cleveland posters who stand up to his many and varied insults levied on northeast Ohio, and who refuse to accept his argument that Greater Cincinnati is a superior place to live compared to northeast Ohio.

His constant attempts, as demonstrated in the above post, to personalize (e.g., "the best people in NE Ohio") his insults merely make his statements more offensive. What's the psychological motivation for Maxmodder's posts, such as the one above??? People defend where they live because they aren't happy there?
Why would refusal of a NE Ohio resident to accept that Greater Cincinnati is superior bother me in the slightest? When my NE Ohio friends and relatives visit me, they all comment on how great it is! It really is nice living somewhere where you don't have to constantly defend the place all the time. (see Cleveland forum folks where Nep the creator of this thread asks about Cleveland and all the defensive type responses he receives to his questions. Just one of the many threads of this nature.) Don't get me wrong, I know plenty of people who love Cleveland but they don't spend all their time defending it and praising it like some of the applogetic NE Ohio residents on this message board do.

What bothers some NE Ohio residents who post on here is when former NE Ohio residents talk about the place and refuse to sugar coat the positives and act like a homer and instead highlight both the positives and negatives as I do. If I wanted to live in NE Ohio, I would be living in NE Ohio LOL! Big difference between defending where you live and having to constantly praise where one lives to use it as a coping mechanism when they in fact are not happy there.

Last edited by maxmodder; 12-22-2015 at 02:24 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 05:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:

This seems like an awfully long post in response to an off-hand remark about Cincinnati.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Why would refusal of a NE Ohio resident to accept that Greater Cincinnati is superior bother me in the slightest?
Great question, and yet it does! Please read your comments quoted below from post #212 in this thread! Your argument essentially is that persons who defend Greater Cleveland from your almost comical attacks (Beachwood Mall is terminal, the weather is unbearable creating six hour drives between Akron and Cleveland in unremarkable conditions, LeBron is a loser, etc.) actually don't like living there, explaining why they post in defense of northeast Ohio. Your implication is that what they say they like about Cleveland is dishonestly delusional, because you are the only objective poster in these Ohio forums!

Yet you never answer the question why you spend so much effort belittling Cleveland and northeast Ohio, often preposterously in the opinions of many of us? Are you coping???

BTW, I go weeks without posting in city-data.com, and try to respond honestly about Cleveland's problems and benefits. I won't apologize, enter psychoanalysis, or list my house for sale because I enjoy living here, or am willing to spend time defending northeast Ohio from bashers! Sorry!!!

Quote:
If someone really enjoys where they live like I do, they aren't going to be posting about it everyday and talking about how great it is like certain forum members do. Someone that actually enjoys where they live is too busy enjoying rather than constantly posting about it.

Many of the Ohioans that post negatively about Cincinnati and it's suburbs probably do so to help them feel better about their decision to continue to live in another part of Ohio.... The best people in NE Ohio are those that wake up enjoying where they live and don't feel the need to come on here and use it as a coping mechanism to convince themselves that they are happy, when they are not. I can't imagine living life like that. Being tied down to a given area for whatever reason despite not liking it there. Forget that!

The root of our disagreements with you, for reasons (NBA, superior cultural institutions, Lake Erie, love of four seasons of weather, etc.) stated in many threads, is that most of us don't consider Greater Cincinnati as a superior place to live than Greater Cleveland. I'm glad that you finally clearly stated your supposition!!!

Why don't posters constantly have to defend Cincinnati? Most likely, contrary to your statements in recent posts, Cincinnati isn't the victim of some disingenuous and persistent basher(s)? It's sorry when someone creates a problem and then criticizes the existence of the problem.

Just see post #53 and on in this recent thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...l#post42366473

See post #5 and on in this recent thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...s-mission.html

I honestly had a hunch when I posted the link to the Sports Illustrated cover story interview of LeBron James that Maxmodder would jump in with some negative comments! As James made several positive comments about Northeast Ohio in the interview, he obviously is a delusional individual worthy of belittlement!!!

Last edited by WRnative; 12-22-2015 at 08:07 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,019,829 times
Quote:
Let me cut to the chase.

In turn, please let me cut to the chase...

WRnative doesn't like Greater Cincinnati posters who stand up to his belittlement of SW Ohio and who refuse to accept his grandiose arguments that Greater Cleveland is unquestionably Ohio's preeminent region.

All his ad nauseam dissertations portraying Cleveland as a Midwestern cultural mecca consistently sidestep the fact that Cincinnati has emerged as Ohio's preeminent corporate city and will soon surpass Cleveland in GDP - thus bringing recognition to SW Ohio as the state's leading economic engine.

Undoubtedly, for WRnative the psychological necessity to conveniently ignore this troubling picture has become paramount. Therefore, it's become all too easy for him to strike out at Maxmodder for calling his bluff, rather than himself taking a long look into the mirror.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Great question, and yet it does! Please read your comments quoted below from post #212 in this thread! Your argument essentially is that persons who defend Greater Cleveland from your almost comical attacks (Beachwood Mall is terminal, the weather is unbearable creating six hour drives between Akron and Cleveland in unremarkable conditions, LeBron is a loser, etc.) actually don't like living there, explaining why they post in defense of northeast Ohio. Your implication is that what they say they like about Cleveland is dishonestly delusional!!!

Yet you never answer the question why you spend so much effort belittling Cleveland and northeast Ohio, often preposterously in the opinions of many of us? Are you coping???

BTW, I go weeks without posting in city-data.com, and try to respond honestly about Cleveland's problems and benefits. I won't apologize, enter psychoanalysis, or list my house for sale because I enjoy living here! Sorry!!!

The root of the problem, for reasons (NBA, superior cultural institutions, Lake Erie, love of four seasons of weather, etc.) stated in many threads, most of us don't consider Greater Cincinnati as a superior place to live than Greater Cleveland. I'm glad that you finally clearly stated your argument!!!
I've talked to MANY people in Greater Cincinnati that view it as a superior place to live than Greater Cleveland. Consider your sample size and basis for your argument. Of course individuals in NE Ohio are not going to think the grass is greener LOL!

And who said that Cincy doesn't get 4 seasons?!? I must have imagined shoveling snow in my driveway last winter LOL!

You claimed that I belittle Cleveland when merely I point out the facts. See my last post in the thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ocation-4.html

You even go so far as to claim that I made up a story about weather conditions on thanksgiving of 2014 despite it actually happening LOL! God forbid if people experience delays in Cleveland on Thanksgiving day due to weather! Oh the horror! Someone may read the truth!

Still waiting for someone to reply as to why Cincy area is 2nd rate when they have the best schools in the state and why the city I currently live in is ranked in the top 20 places to live each year.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
In turn, please let me cut to the chase...

WRnative doesn't like Greater Cincinnati posters who stand up to his belittlement of SW Ohio and who refuse to accept his grandiose arguments that Greater Cleveland is unquestionably Ohio's preeminent region.

All his ad nauseam dissertations portraying Cleveland as a Midwestern cultural mecca consistently sidestep the fact that Cincinnati has emerged as Ohio's preeminent corporate city and will soon surpass Cleveland in GDP - thus bringing recognition to SW Ohio as the state's leading economic engine.

Undoubtedly, for WRnative the psychological necessity to conveniently ignore this troubling picture has become paramount. Therefore, it's become all too easy for him to strike out at Maxmodder for calling his bluff, rather than himself taking a long look into the mirror.
Actually, I've constantly admitted and lamented the economic problems facing northeast Ohio, including the leveraging of the Ohio Turnpike making northern Ohio's trucking costs even much less competitive, due to the continued existence and burden of the "Republican Toll Road."

I'm not optimistic about northern Ohio's economic future unless there are some drastic changes in state and federal policies to once again provide a level playing field for northern Ohio as a manufacturing region.

Yet what's wrong with factually stating that Cleveland has superior cultural institutions to Cincinnati? Or for noting that Cleveland has an NBA franchise while Cincinnati lacks even an NHL franchise? Even Maxmodder acknowledges those realities. It's what attracts many persons to Cleveland and even to downtown Cleveland given the remarkable evolution of PlayhouseSquare.

Cleveland historically and currently has placed a relatively great emphasis on its cultural amenities, both through public support and private contributions, and on its mass transportation system compared to Cincinnati and Columbus. Fact.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-22-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 12-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
I've talked to MANY people in Greater Cincinnati that view it as a superior place to live than Greater Cleveland. Consider your sample size and basis for your argument. Of course individuals in NE Ohio are not going to think the grass is greener LOL!

And who said that Cincy doesn't get 4 seasons?!? I must have imagined shoveling snow in my driveway last winter LOL!

You claimed that I belittle Cleveland when merely I point out the facts. See my last post in the thread here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ocation-4.html

You even go so far as to claim that I made up a story about weather conditions on thanksgiving of 2014 despite it actually happening LOL! God forbid if people experience delays in Cleveland on Thanksgiving day due to weather! Oh the horror! Someone may read the truth!

Still waiting for someone to reply as to why Cincy area is 2nd rate when they have the best schools in the state and why the city I currently live in is ranked in the top 20 places to live each year.
Your truth and the truth of the likes of Motorman.

Neither of you can deal with the fact that many persons simply don't agree with either of you and have no desire for very good reasons to live in Greater Cincinnati rather than in Greater Cleveland.

At least, we now can state with accuracy that you are determined Cleveland basher.

And, yes, I'll never believe that it took anybody on the evening of Thanksgiving 2014 six hours, or even three hours, to drive the normally 45 minutes between Cleveland and Akron.

BTW, Cleveland, not Cincinnati, has the top-ranked national university in Ohio and Case Western Reserve offers remarkable opportunities to high school students compared to most national universities.

Maxmodder, how many downhill ski/snowboarding/tubing slopes and lodges exist within Greater Cincinnati? Where are the toboggan chutes? Do the Cincinnati metroparks have cross country ski chalets? Are there ice photography workshops? What's the equivalent of walking a mile out onto a frozen Lake Erie? What's the equivalent of Holden Arboretum in winter? Sadly, every year, I worry that these attributes are not long for Greater Cleveland given continuing climate change.

http://ianadamsphotography.com/news/...n-arboretum-2/

Did you somehow miss all of this when you lived in Lake County???

Last edited by WRnative; 12-22-2015 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio