Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Asheville's a nice town. If I ever had to move to the Carolinas, it'd be Asheville. It's one of the more progressive cities under the Ohio river.
As for weather... Charlotte gets cold too in winter, the difference is if you prefer a blanket of white stuff or mud, puddles, and 40 degrees.
Charlotte's average temp in January is 51 degrees and sun,
my kids wear shorts year round. My kids do look forward to the 2 snow day where we get a couple inches of the white stuff, different strokes for different folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,107,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
my kids wear shorts year round. My kids do look forward to the 2 snow day where we get a couple inches of the white stuff, different strokes for different folks
Lexington's average is around 40.

We average over a foot of snow per year. Often times, we'll see a foot of snow within a single month.

I remember last year we did have a stretch of warm weather... but then we also had 3 weeks straight of single digits at night.

Just because the average is high doesn't mean it never gets cold or isn't cold often. I can tell you one thing... I've rarely seen a full sunny day in my winter travels south. Ohio isn't the only grey place.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Lexington's average is around 40.

We average over a foot of snow per year. Often times, we'll see a foot of snow within a single month.

I remember last year we did have a stretch of warm weather... but then we also had 3 weeks straight of single digits at night.

Just because the average is high doesn't mean it never gets cold or isn't cold often. I can tell you one thing... I've rarely seen a full sunny day in my winter travels south. Ohio isn't the only grey place.
I get to Lexington on business about every 6 wks, weather can be quite different than here, it it somewhat like Cincinnati weather although if you get a good snowfall in LEX the roads get shutdown, I suppose it's because of the lack of snow equiptment. I do wish we got some of the rain you experienced in the Spring but not to the extreme to get the flooding. I find that area to have beautiful countrysides, farms. I plan to be back up there for Keenland.
Even though temps in Charlotte ave low 50s in January (day temp) we get big temperature swings from early am to noon due to the clear skys at night and not getting the insulating factor. I've been told also the mtns to the north help funnel the clould to the northeast. I have a convertable and have the top down 9 mos. out of the year, occasionally have to turn the heat on though. After moving from OH to here it is very noticeable how much more you see the sun.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I get to Lexington on business about every 6 wks, weather can be quite different than here, it it somewhat like Cincinnati weather although if you get a good snowfall in LEX the roads get shutdown, I suppose it's because of the lack of snow equiptment. I do wish we got some of the rain you experienced in the Spring but not to the extreme to get the flooding. I find that area to have beautiful countrysides, farms. I plan to be back up there for Keenland.
Even though temps in Charlotte ave low 50s in January (day temp) we get big temperature swings from early am to noon due to the clear skys at night and not getting the insulating factor. I've been told also the mtns to the north help funnel the clould to the northeast. I have a convertable and have the top down 9 mos. out of the year, occasionally have to turn the heat on though. After moving from OH to here it is very noticeable how much more you see the sun.
Oy, I don't get the fascination with Keeneland. If I wanted to hang around a bunch of snobby old farts and fratboys driving their daddy's Fords... well... I'd go back to school.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Oy, I don't get the fascination with Keeneland. If I wanted to hang around a bunch of snobby old farts and fratboys driving their daddy's Fords... well... I'd go back to school.
Never been there, I call it customer entertainment

Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Never been there, I call it customer entertainment
I think you'll be surprised with the "I'm trying to be high class through dressing fancily but am acting like I'm in a mud pit at Bonnaroo" feel of it.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,074,066 times
Quote:
Shorts year round, really?

December 2010

23 days with highs below 50
28 days with lows at or below 32
Average temp: 34.8

January 2011

20 days with highs below 50
24 days with lows at or below 32.
Average temp: 37.4

February 2011

Average temp: 48.2

Winter average: 40.1
Normal average: 43.1

Toasty.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Toasty, indeed.

I spent plenty of time during the winter months in the mid-south and mid-east coast. It's far from balmy. There are actually few places in the US where the weather is conducive to wearing shorts year-round (especially in NC).

Old 09-26-2011, 04:15 PM

As I said before, Charlotte can get big temperature swings from early am to day temperature due to lack of clouds to insulate heat at night, the average DAY TEMP in January (the coldest mo.) is 51 degrees. I don't recall using the word balmy, I consider confortable and if you live here you see many people wearing shorts (mainly northern transplants like myself). You can pick out a native wearing a down jacket in the 50/60 degree days. My wife plays her tennis leagues outdoors year-round as I do most years, last winter was challenging though.
I do will wear long pants at night during the colder months..

Month Low High = day temp
Jan 32.1°F 51.3°F
Feb 34.4°F 55.9°F
Mar 41.6°F 64.1°F
Apr 49.1°F 72.8°F
May 58.2°F 79.7°F
Jun 66.5°F 86.6°F
Jul 70.6°F 90.1°F
Aug 69.3°F 88.4°F
Sept 63.0°F 82.3°F
Oct 50.9°F 72.6°F
Nov 41.8°F 62.8°F
Dec 34.9°F 54.0°F

Last edited by ZnGuy; 09-26-2011 at 04:24 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
Well, you see more than a few non-transplanted northerners wearing shorts when it's 50 degrees outside. However, the vast majority of people are wearing long pants and jackets. 50 degrees is not "shorts" weather. Typically, 75 and above is. According to your little chart, that would be May through September. I might shock you, but that's pretty much the same as it is in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio