Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM

224 posts, read 377,007 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have lived in Greater Cincinnati for most of our working lives. We have been very happy here and have had no major problems with the area or the State, but have begun thinking of moving south a bit for warmer winters. I lived in Tennessee previously and we have friends in the Carolinas and Georgia, so these are possible retirement destinations for us. But if we do go I would miss Ohio. It's been good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Medina County

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Job and climate

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Savannah, GA where our youngest child lives

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Almost went to Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say? The climate in the south sometimes makes me wonder why anyone still lives up north. However, in the summer here, we wish we were back in Ohio. Bottom line, being away from the winter is great, but anywhere else has it's charms, too.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Medina County

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Job and climate

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Savannah, GA where our youngest child lives

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Almost went to Greenville, SC or Asheville, NC

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say? The climate in the south sometimes makes me wonder why anyone still lives up north. However, in the summer here, we wish we were back in Ohio. Bottom line, being away from the winter is great, but anywhere else has it's charms, too.
1st, 2nd, 3rd choices are pretty good. It is interesting, after you move from snowbelt the visits back to the midwest are painful during the winter...Suprised I didn't move to sunbelt sooner.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
1st, 2nd, 3rd choices are pretty good. It is interesting, after you move from snowbelt the visits back to the midwest are painful during the winter...Suprised I didn't move to sunbelt sooner.
I wonder how people can put up with the heat and humidity in the South. You just trade one extreme for the other... I prefer the cold, personally, and I bet without A/C, so would many other people who moved to the South. There is a reason that the area remained much more lightly populated until that invention.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I wonder how people can put up with the heat and humidity in the South. You just trade one extreme for the other... I prefer the cold, personally, and I bet without A/C, so would many other people who moved to the South. There is a reason that the area remained much more lightly populated until that invention.
I say let all the softies leave for the south. We'll see who runs out of water first.

I never understood why so many people like hot weather. It's miserable. Just. plain. miserable. 4 seasons is the only way to go.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I say let all the softies leave for the south. We'll see who runs out of water first.

I never understood why so many people like hot weather. It's miserable. Just. plain. miserable. 4 seasons is the only way to go.
to each his own...frankly I'll take heat and sun over cold, snowy, dreary weather. I like to sweat and be active, keeps me in fighting weight..4 seasons are over rated, 3 seasons is perfect

Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
to each his own...frankly I'll take heat and sun over cold, snowy, dreary weather. I like to sweat and be active, keeps me in fighting weight..4 seasons are over rated, 3 seasons is perfect
You are not a skier, snowboarder, skater, or hockey player, I see...

Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,909,522 times
IMO there is no perfect weather. On balance, I'd say the 2-season (spring & autumn) climates are the easiest to handle. I lived in NW Europe and found that to be fairly pleasant. But there is still a trade-off. I definitely missed summer and winter, and the sun did not make as many appearances as I'd like.

I don't think I could take living in the sunbelt. Asheville might not be too bad, since it's in the mountains.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:

Yeah, they will be sitting in a lawn chair sipping iced tea while four-season folks will be sledding, skating, skiing and snowboarding.

To each his own, but I never understood that slow, lazy, laid back sunbelt lifestyle.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,258,889 times
Quote:

It makes me laugh when people from Ohio want to move to somewhere like Arizona. Not that there's anything wrong with Arizona, but its their reasons for Arizona.

"Oh no more dealing with snow and cold and being inside ALL Winter!"......Really? Because what the hell do you think you'll be doing in the SUMMER IN ARIZONA when its it's 120 degrees outside?? Okay, so you'll be outside in the Winter months...okay, but unlike Ohio, you'll be inside during the Summer months.

Ohio, the state that has the worst "Grass is always greener" complex. Even people in places like Arkansas don't complain about their state as much as Ohioans do, and no offense to Arkansas, but its not exactly paradise, but even those people are quite content with all Arkansas offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio