Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times

Advertisements

I have been considering moving to Ohio, particularly Cleveland or Columbus. In general, what would you say are the pros of living in Ohio compared to other states, particularly compared to the east coast? In other words, why should someone choose to live in Ohio instead of a coastal state or other state?

Whenever I tell some people that I have been considering Ohio, they think it's a bizarre choice. This includes reactions from both Ohioans and east coasters. Some Ohioans say to me, "why would you want to move here?" And some east coasters say "why would you want to move there?"

I already know that the cost of living is significantly lower. But to me, that's not really a "real" advantage. Cheaper things are cheaper for a reason. Expensive things are expensive for a reason. You know?

My friend in Cleveland also said that he considers Ohio to be a conservative/religious state in general. How true is this? I am liberal and atheist.

I am trying to convince myself that Ohio is a better place to live than most other U.S. states. Please confirm if this is true or false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
I don't live in Ohio; I'm a Pennsylvanian. But I went to Penn State which is part of the Big Ten (plus?) which, in turn. is identified with the Midwest. I grew up listening at night to long-distance radio stations in Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit, rather than New York. I worked for a while in the "regulated" trucking industry -- in which just about every major carrier had a relay station and pool of drivers somewhere around Akron or Youngstown.

I've sometimes heard it said that "The Midwest begins at Pittsburgh", but I tend to think it actually begins at Allentown, or maybe on the other side of the first mountain north of Interstates 78 and 81.

But the point here is, that the pretentiousness and class-consciousness which seems to characterize so much of the Eastern Seaboard, and the elitist Eastern Establishment, never took root in Ohio -- and I like that.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-06-2015 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-06-2015, 12:37 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have been considering moving to Ohio, particularly Cleveland or Columbus. In general, what would you say are the pros of living in Ohio compared to other states, particularly compared to the east coast? In other words, why should someone choose to live in Ohio instead of a coastal state or other state?

Whenever I tell some people that I have been considering Ohio, they think it's a bizarre choice. This includes reactions from both Ohioans and east coasters. Some Ohioans say to me, "why would you want to move here?" And some east coasters say "why would you want to move there?"

I already know that the cost of living is significantly lower. But to me, that's not really a "real" advantage. Cheaper things are cheaper for a reason. Expensive things are expensive for a reason. You know?

I am trying to convince myself that Ohio is a better place to live than most other U.S. states. Please confirm if this is true or false.
Ohio is not inherently better than most other states. It may be better for some people, but it depends on those people, and what their priorities are.

It's like all of those city vs. city arguments, in that part of the forum. There isn't a right answer for everyone.

I live in Ohio, mostly, because my family is here. But I like Ohio because of it's diverse geography, low cost of living for what you get, and lack of extreme weather, just off the top of my head.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I don't live in Ohio; I'm a Pennsylvanian. But I went to Penn State which is part of the Big Ten (plus?) which, in turn. is identified with the Midwest. I grew up listening at night to long-distance radio stations in Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit, rather than New York. I worked for a while in the "regulated" trucking industry -- in which just about every major carrier had a relay station and pool of drivers somewhere around Akron or Youngstown.

I've sometimes heard it said that "The Midwest begins at Pittsburgh", but I tend to think it actually begins at Allentown, or maybe on the other side of the first mountain north of Interstates 78 and 81.

But the point here is, that the pretentiousness and class-consciousness which seems to characterize so much of the Eastern Seaboard, and the elitist Eastern Establishment, never took root in Ohio -- and I like that.
Ahhh....that's a very good point. And I noticed that when I drove out to Cleveland a few months ago, then drove back to the coast. As soon as I hit New Jersey, everything suddenly became more fast paced and image conscious. I would say that that was the biggest thing that struck me the most. I thought to myself, "wow....the people here on the coast are rather pretentious and image conscious." Narcissism and keeping up with appearances is more prevalent on the coast. Now, this can be a good or bad thing. I don't like the pretentiousness of the east coast, but in a way, I do.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:02 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
The OP has had lengthy threads on the Cleveland forum covering all of this.

I'm surprised that he's back on the Akron-Canton forum rehashing the same material.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The OP has had lengthy threads on the Cleveland forum covering all of this.

I'm surprised that he's back on the Akron-Canton forum rehashing the same material.
The Cleveland thread was about Cleveland only. This thread is about Ohio in general.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,489 times
I was born and raised in ohio, though we plan to move soon, I do like ohio but it's not for everyone. The things I like are the lower cost of living compared especially to the east coast. The major cities offers a lot to do and see but are not over congested with traffic either. I love ohios amish country, peaceful and fun to shop/eat there. Ohio has kings island and cedar point, both very nice parks!

For the most part, people are laid back in ohio, slower pace and usually quite friendly. Lots of open country, corn fields and back roads. I also like the closeness ohio has to weekend getaways or day trips. We live near dayton, so Indianapolis, columbus, lexington, Louisville and souther MI are all fairly close to visit. Spring, summer and fall are all nice in Ohio(though it can get very humid) you have the full change in seasons.

For those who likes sports, ohio is pretty big into that.. Ohio state, bengals ect. I cannot say it's my favorite state, but for growing up here, I have been happy with.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM

19 posts, read 43,269 times
My advice to the OP is really research what city you'd be interested and go from there.. If my judgement of the entire state of Ohio was my impression of Cincinnati I wouldn't be here right now. But when I saw Cleveland, I instantly fell in love. The same for Columbus and Cleveland, they're just so different. To answer some of your questions though, I wouldn't consider it a "conservative" state as it's a swing state. The larger counties like Franklin, Cuyahoga, and Summit are all gonna be democratic where suburban counties will most likely be more conservative. It seems the state is split, like it always has been. Cleveland in 2014 hosted the Gay Games, then in 2016 is going to host the RNC.. I think it's the best of both worlds, regardless of your political affiliation. Also, being here while the city is really transforming is amazing.. I'm sorry I couldn't give you more info on Columbus, I didn't want to give you false info. Btw, the cheap cost of living wasn't why I moved here, that was just an added bonus.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:51 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

My friend in Cleveland also said that he considers Ohio to be a conservative/religious state in general. How true is this? I am liberal and atheist.

We have been living here for three years, and we are very happy. I can't say that "Ohio is a better state to live in than most other US states". Each state has it's own advantages and disadvantages.
If you are looking for a humid sub tropical climate, OH will not deliver.

As with other populous states, there are many different "Ohios".

I moved here from the North Shore of Long Island, which has a huge New England colonial influence. North Eastern Ohio was settled by people from Connecticut - "The Connecticut Western Reserve" and you will find a New England influence through out much of Ohio. Especially the North East and the nicer Cleveland suburbs.

You will see this in the architecture, and landscape, lush green springs and the glorious foliage of fall.

Ohio values higher education and we are home to some of the best colleges and universities in the country - Oberlin, Case Western Reserve, Kenyon, Ohio State University, Dennison, Ohio Wesleyan, College of Wooster and many others. Our daughter is graduating from a public high school and was able to take many AP courses, as well as interesting extra curricular activities.

After leaving Long Island we lived in PA for a few years and we did not enjoy it. In comparison to Ohio, it was insular and xenophobic. PA residents were hostile to outsiders, and monolithic in their right wing politics and gun culture.

If you love hunting, you will easily find people who share your passion. However, if you are not interested in it, Ohioans will not make deride you for your disinterest.

Politics here are moderate. There are Republicans and Democrats and we coexist peacefully.
People are less extreme in their views, or less vociferous in their expression of those beliefs.
We like that.

In terms of materialism, Ohioans are moderate. I know many woman who take good care of themselves and wear stylish clothes. However, the pressure to out do one another is not at all a feature of life in most of this state.

Recently, we joined a country club because we enjoy golf and tennis. We also have access to a pool and many social events. In comparison to a Long Island country club (I grew up with my parents as members) it is low key and less snobbish.

If you enjoy boating or fishing, you will not be alone. There are many lakes and fishing and boating are popular activities.

Although, we are not on the ocean, we do have a glorious coast - the North Coast of Lake Erie.
It has a very nautical feel, and there are many sea food restaurants and wineries, which make for fun summer day trips.

Winter is slightly snowier than Long Island or coastal Connecticut, as you might expect. However, it is not noticeably colder.

I don't always agree that you get what you pay for. Had I known that Ohio was this nice, I'd have moved here 25 years ago.

I hope that this helps. If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to message me.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Yeah I should just apply for jobs in both Cle and Cbus, since they both have good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio