Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times

Advertisements

I know the city of Niles has a public pool at Weddell Park, i believe it's only a dollar to swim if you are a Niles resident, a little more if you aren't. Niles, Ohio Parks Department

Hubbard also has a pool (indoor). Hubbard Community Pool - est. 1975

The Avalon Inn in Howland has an indoor pool and you can join there, they also have tennis. My cousin used to belong there and there is an area outside where you can lay out Avalon Inn - Northeast Ohio Full Service Resort (http://www.avaloninn.com/recreation.htm - broken link)

Warren also has the Olympic Club, i had several friends growing up that belonged there. http://warrenolympicclub.110mb.com/w.../website1.html

Niles also has a pretty new YMCA Trumbull County YMCA - Eastwood Branch Swimming Pool Information

Warren's is older, but i know they have a pool or more there:
YMCA Profile

I found this through google:

Boardman Tennis & Swim Club Youngstown Public & Private Swimming Pools 6907 West Boulevard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 26,116 times
sounds like times are rough all through gm right now. i'm at pittsburgh mfd and we are being sold right now. rumor is that everyone who doesn't take the sap program is going to be transferred to lordstown. most likely over 100 people. probably by the end of the summer. so your other half may have trouble getting in depending on how many at lordstown take the sap.

but jump now because after this contract i have a feeling all of metal fab may be sold off. it was already on the table with the 07 negotiations. already indy and marion are going down next. the old head of metal fab said the co wants to decrease the number of press lines dramtically (which i heard directly from him). this means the near future may have these people looking to jump to assembly plants especially if all of metal fab goes noncore (and thus lower pay) like is rumored.

does anyone know about the canfield area schools and athletic teams. how's the football and baseball programs? what type of offense and defense does canfield run? how big are the kids? i hear academically they are rather good, is that true?

Old 03-22-2008, 08:39 AM

353 posts, read 1,706,653 times
Let's face it... GM is going to close Lordstown sooner than you think. If you work there I would save every penny and prepare to change careers. Go to school now when you can afford it. Manufacturing jobs don't pay anything, unless you work for GM. One would say it is an over-inflated wage for assembling cars.

Don't move to Lordstown. Some people wear horse blinders and refuse to look at the writing on the wall. When the inevitable happens (trust me, it will) housing prices in Lordstown will plummet. People with those nice big expensive houses will find themselves in big trouble really fast. The fallout will be terrible. For comparison look at Campbell Ohio. That city lost nearly every business it had. Now they are ready to fall off the hill.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:00 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Let's face it... GM is going to close Lordstown sooner than you think. If you work there I would save every penny and prepare to change careers. Go to school now when you can afford it. Manufacturing jobs don't pay anything, unless you work for GM. One would say it is an over-inflated wage for assembling cars.

Don't move to Lordstown. Some people wear horse blinders and refuse to look at the writing on the wall. When the inevitable happens (trust me, it will) housing prices in Lordstown will plummet. People with those nice big expensive houses will find themselves in big trouble really fast. The fallout will be terrible. For comparison look at Campbell Ohio. That city lost nearly every business it had. Now they are ready to fall off the hill.
No one knows how long Lordstown will be there, but GM has made a commitment to stay until at least 2012, if i'm remembering the year right. Also, getting a bigger car than the Cobalt is a good thing. This is because most small cars will now be made in mexico and china.

I do agree that you should take advantage of the tuition assistance that GM provides, just in case GM does eventually leave. I say this as a former Delphi employee that knows what it's like to look at the present and wonder what the future holds. I did take advantage of some of the tuition assistance offered to me, but i wasn't quite done w/school when i took a buyout last year. Now i'll be graduating in the fall. Also, if you do move to the area there are many different institutions of high learning here, including, Kent State, Youngstown State, trade schools, etc.

I would also agree that moving to the actual village of Lordstown would be a bad idea. Their school system and government rely way too heavily on GM and if it were to close i would not want to own a home there. If you want to move to an area where you would have a better chance of resale i would suggest places like, cortland, bazetta, howland, liberty or champion. I also would suggest the youngstown suburbs of poland and canfield. There aren't as many GM people in some of these areas as there are in lordstown. Also, a lot of these areas aren't as dependent on GM as lordstown is. Unfortunately, the area as a whole is too dependent on General Motors, but hopefully places like the Youngstown Business Incubator will help diversify the economy here Youngstown Business Incubator.

Also, since i'm always watching real estate in Trumbull Co. i would say that homes in the 100k-200k dollar price range are selling much better than homes over 200k. The areas i listed above will always be your best bet and they are always very desirable to the people that still live here, plus they all have great schools.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:58 AM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Lordstown has been going to close for over 15 years, since I can remember.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,478 times
An area I don't see mentioned yet is the Jackson Milton School District. We are getting a new school that ground was broke on this year in which all the student get their own laptop. Great district, very involved, wonderful PTA. Soccer, gold, basketball, baseball, cheerleading, science club, math club, the list of extras is endless.
Close to Lordstown, my husband drove a car in their parade and it took us about 8 minutes to get to the school from North Jackson.
Our Walmart's upgrade to a super walmart will be finished in April and is 5 minutes from the high school. 15 minutes from the Boardman Plaza and the same for Canfield. 20 minutes to Eastwood Mall. Close to Lake Milton for summer activities, bike trails lake recreation etc..Local Police department is increadible with children's programs and losts of community involvment. Friendly people.
We moved here 2 years ago from Mercer, PA and love it! My husband works at Spitzer's Chev. It is right in the middle of it all and still quiet, slow paced country setting, safe for raising kids!
Hope this helped. Here is the school link.

[url=http://www.jacksonmilton.k12.oh.us/]The Jackson-Milton Local School District[/url]

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,464 times
Default Ironically in the same situation

Hi there. I came across your post and we are in the same situation. I work for GM/Baltimore. I am in the JOBS bank there, and have just put my transfer in to Lordstown. And, I also live in the York, PA area. I grew up not too far from Lordstown, although it was not an easy decision to transfer, having family there made it easier. It is also a plus that it is only about 4 hours from here. If you want to chat about things, I would love too! My email is [EMAIL="Mandalynn142@aol.com"]Mandalynn142@aol.com[/EMAIL] Don't hesitate to email me and ask me anything. I have been looking at houses out there for a while now, and there are definitely places that you are looking for in that price range. I hope to hear form you!!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 24,185 times
Default trenton,n.j..to baltimore..to white marsh.. to.....?

hey Missy, you still in delaware? I also worked at the baltimore gm plant (body shop). I am currently laid off from the allison plant in white marsh (1985 seniory) I am also thinking of making that move to lordstown (things don't look good here either). Any relocation money available at this time? Sounds like the cost of living is decent there, especially compared to maryland ( i currently live in bel air). i have to do something soon, and i am so mixed up, confused, etc. right now! Good luck to you and your family! I hope your husband didn't take that recent buyout. . stick it out. . aren't many jobs like this around anymore.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Wheels and/or Missy,
Is Martinsburg, WV still an option? Hope over to the WV site for info. Qucik comment on Martinsburg - it is quickly becoming a suburb of DC. Lot of people working in DC & living in Martinsburg. Price of housing has skyrocketed but its a nice area.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 31,210 times
My husband, too, is being transferred to Lordstown from the closing General motors plant here in Janesville, Wisconsin. This is a really hard time for our family because we have a son entering the 11th grade this fall and is devastated to move. We love his school and the area we live in!! We are hoping for a great school district, as he is an excellent student and takes honors courses. I see you mentioned Canfield. How about Austintown? I thought that sounded kind of nice from what I've read. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio