Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 05:46 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times

Advertisements

In Ohio, with a few exceptions, you're pretty much always within a 90 minute drive of a top 100 metro. That cannot be said about many states, especially not ones our size.

One mega city would probably have some neat features and amenities, but you'd also lose some by concentrating them together. I don't think you'd have as many sports teams, museums, etc. as we have with the cities separated.

I kind of like that there's not a well defined "us vs. them" line in the sand politically and socially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 03:57 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
OP if anything a dominant major city is a detriment to the state in terms of potential over-representation in state politics and higher funding, as well as overshadowing tourism in the remainder of the state. NYC in NY State is a great example.
Arizona is the same except it is Maricopa County more than the city of Phoenix. The rest of the state isn't much no matter what Tucson people may say.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:01 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I love Ohio cities, and don't currently have any plans to leave Youngstown. But if those cities are so terrible, why are they still so expensive/desirable?
Good one! You nailed it!

Old 09-14-2023, 08:48 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Until recently, North Carolina wasn't even on the radar as a place to live - or visit. The building explosion caused by Northerners demanding new builds and not being able to afford them, has put NC on the map, for some. For example, Charlotte isn't a city to me at all. It's a sprawling conglomerate of oversized houses and one subdivision after another. I do not see the draw.
The draw is that in addition to what you've mentioned, quite a few people are choosing to live near the center city in areas that are served by bus, streetcar, and light rail. These areas are also walking distance from NBA, NFL, and Major League Soccer games. Another draw is Carowinds Amusement park (aka the Cedar Point of the South) and the Whitewater Center.

As for Ohio, the lack of city dominance is not the issue at all. Florida, Texas, and California are doing just fine for the most part (and so is North Carolina). Furthermore, as a resident of the South; I can tell you that downtown Savannah on any given Saturday trumps midtown Atlanta when it comes to casual foot traffic. The same can be said for downtown Charleston versus Center City Charlotte. My point is that while some of the largest cities might look more dominant due to population, quite a few smaller cities dominate when it comes to tourism (Asheville, Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach, and many others).

The shift in migration patterns (away from the Midwest) can be attributed to three major events....

✓ the invention of the automobile
✓ the invention of air conditioning
✓ the Civil Rights movement

There were other factors, but none quite as big as fixing the social problems, controlling indoor climate, and mobility.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:26 AM

19 posts, read 14,591 times
Some other insights regarding Ohio and it's business focus.

Foreign interest have a respectable size manufacturing presence in Ohio.

From Japan/China/South East Asia ships can travel north of Alaska and across the navigable waters of Canada to the Atlantic Ocean and south to the St. Lawrence Seaway to Lake Ontario on to Lake Erie (Ohio's northern boarder) in one third less distance than using the Panama Canal similarly to arrive at Ohio's Ports on Lake Erie. This is part of why Columbus formed a triangle district with Toledo and Cleveland with their International Inland Port system.

Quote:
No. 1 for Ohio is boilers, machinery and mechanical appliances, with a total revenue of $8.71 billion in 2022. No. 2 is vehicles other than railway or tramway rolling stock, and parts and accessories, with a total revenue of $8.32 billion
https://www.cleveland.com/data/2023/...s-in-2022.html

In the past couple of years the lower Mississippi River has had historic low levels which have restricted shipping. (due to climate & shortfalls of precipitation) This year in 2023 The Panama Canal has experienced shortfalls of water supply to operate the locks in the Canal.

Quote:
40% of all U.S. container traffic travels through the Panama Canal every year, and in all, $270 billion in cargo annually.
Panama has a Tropical Climate generally with plenty of rainfall that is caught on land to supply the Canals operation. But it hasn't been getting that rainfall lately again due to climate.

Quote:
The canal's locks, which include new and substantially larger chambers that opened in 2016, rely on freshwater to operate its locks. Approximately 200 million liters of water (52.8 million gallons) are needed for each vessel transit under normal conditions
So for each large ship locking thru the Canal....nearly 53 million gallons of fresh water. Ships crossing north of Canada to the Great lakes don't have this problem. If these larger ships can get to Gulf of Mexico ports there may still be a problem with the low water levels of the lower Mississippi River. This will mean that containers will have to ship by much more expensive rail freight. There have been some river barge conversions that carry containers but it isn't wide spread.

North Carolina has Atlantic coast ports but it's trade isn't quite like Ohio's.

Quote:
The state's largest market was Canada. North Carolina exported $6.7 billion in goods to Canada in 2018, representing 20 percent of the state's total goods exports. Canada was followed by Mexico ($3.8 billion), China ($2.3 billion), France ($1.9 billion), and Japan ($1.6 billion).
So where is North Carolina's focus in the global market ?

Quote:
The state's largest market was Canada. North Carolina exported $6.7 billion in goods to Canada in 2018, representing 20 percent of the state's total goods exports. Canada was followed by Mexico ($3.8 billion), China ($2.3 billion), France ($1.9 billion), and Japan ($1.6 billion).
Quote:
With our history of being first in flight, it's no wonder leader aerospace, defense and security companies like Honda Jet, GE Aviation, Lockheed Martin and UTC Aerospace Systems call N.C. home.
Summing this up, Ohio is an older established mature state born of the Industrial Revolution with a tradition in manufacturing and product development for business and consumerism. North Carolina
due to it's later development would take advantage of the later emerging higher technologies.

Shipping via water is the most economical way move bulk products and international shipping containers ISC's lends a way of containing manufactured products into bulk forms. River shipping has traditionally been thought of as coal, liquids (in tank barges) or large machinery with fiberglass roof covers. Today Container shipping barges are beginning to appear on the rivers. Shallow draft barges will make this more possible.

Remember, Ohio's southern boarder is the Ohio River, and with it's massive rail and highway infrastructure, it is well set up for shipping logistics whether that be raw materials for conversion or finished products for export.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:36 PM

13,661 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
...My point is that while some of the largest cities might look more dominant due to population, quite a few smaller cities dominate when it comes to tourism (Asheville, Gatlinburg, Myrtle Beach, and many others).
The advantage of a "dominant" city isn't necessarily its own quality of life, but its being a natural hub for all sorts of activities in business, commerce or transportation. It's a magnet for people in the general vicinity, to go there and to conduct business, whether or not they particularly care to live in the city itself.

Back to my airport example... if I lived in rural Illinois or rural Georgia, in some crappy small town with (let's stipulate) atrocious quality of life, I may still be within say 100 miles of O'Hare or Hartsfield, respectively. Depending on one's lifestyle, this may be hugely, hugely important... because it completely changes the logistics of international travel. So whereas I would rather live in say Columbus than in East Bumble, Georgia, if I have regular flights to Paris, it's much easier from East Bumble (just drive to Hartsfield and park!) than from Columbus (good luck getting a timely connection to Newark etc.). That is the advantage of a dominant city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
The shift in migration patterns (away from the Midwest) can be attributed to three major events....

✓ the invention of the automobile
✓ the invention of air conditioning
✓ the Civil Rights movement
Arguably, the Midwest is a fine place for agriculture and for certain kinds of industrial production, enabled for example by iron ore or other local mineral deposits. It's not such a fantastic place from the viewpoint of climate, topography, natural beauty and so on. So as the nation moved away from agriculture and manufacturing, the populace moved away from the Midwest. 100 years ago, Ohio was a leader in technology, and also in many aspects of amenities, culture and quality of life. Compare for example 100 years ago, Cleveland and Atlanta. In 1923, I'd much rather have lived in Cleveland! So, presumably, would many others... which was reflected in the migration patterns of the time. That is no longer the case.

Old 09-15-2023, 07:30 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,717,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusflyer View Post
True but Dallas and Houston are Major cities. I feel like there is a population point where a metro is large enough to support things like airline hubs, and public transportation, infrastructure ect. Ohio seems to have to spread all its resources around to the 3C's which in a way hurts Ohio.

I know you are talking about them because of how big they are, but you simply cannot compare Texas to ...pretty much any state in the country. Of course Dallas and Houston are going to be major hubs for transportation. The location alone at the 'bottom' of the country and the sheer size of that state... you can fit Ohio in Texas 6 times over size wise.

Old 09-25-2023, 08:02 AM

681 posts, read 2,360,791 times
I don't see clear examples where, having one or more major/mega city, the entire state thrives as a WHOLE through the support of big city revenue. This is the arguing point, not about how amazing big cities are, but are there measurable differences (for the better) in overall quality of life when comparing the lesser towns in states like Ohio versus those that are similar within states like Texas, New York and California?

I can only speak for living 15 years in Texas, but outside of the major metropolitan areas there are plenty of towns that are economically on par with any of the depressing small towns in Ohio. Texas has a LOT of down-on-their-luck towns. Go watch (or read) McMurtry's "The Last Picture Show". That type of depressed small town in Texas (Thalia, Tx in the book) hasn't been subsidized into prosperity through the great metros like Houston, DFW and Austin. I've driven from DFW to Houston to Austin to El Paso, back and again. Lot's of economic disparity on the way between Here and There.

I don't see our smaller towns being distinctly worse off than the backwater towns in Texas. Maybe it's different in upstate New York or California? Maybe the whole of those states are thriving because of their major cities?

Old 09-25-2023, 01:02 PM

4,497 posts, read 6,245,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittySkyfish View Post
I don't see clear examples where, having one or more major/mega city, the entire state thrives as a WHOLE through the support of big city revenue. This is the arguing point, not about how amazing big cities are,
With this emphasis, one need look no further than Illinois to see how bad Chicago's welfare needs jack up taxes for the entire state. Ohio better off not being in that scenario.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:02 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I've only been to Ohio once so I don't know much firsthand. My mother in law grew up there, near the small city of Barnesville. Been there once and met some of her family, fine people. I have known people over the years from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton and Columbus, as well as rural areas. I've heard people from there and other states make fun of Cleveland but I've mostly heard good about Cincinnati and Columbus. Most of the people I have met from there have been good people.
Plus, I had a crush on a student teacher from Columbus when I was in 5th grade.

The Wright brothers grew up around Dayton and did a lot of their work there, then flew their first plane here in NC. I think Ohio has plenty to be proud of. Maybe not having a huge metro isn't such a bad thing.

I used to have family in Chicago and they grew up loving it but most moved away later. I loved it the one time I visited. I have a friend from rural Illinois who says Chicago is the tail that wags the dog in that state. I guess Chicago dominates the politics even though it isn't the state capital.
Because Cleveland has been the whipping boy for so long for most of America so they join in on it to fit in. It's similar how the outsider tries to get in with the popular kids in school. I bet people in your home state don't constantly make fun of their city.

I agree with you that having one metro dominant metro may not be a bad thing. A lot of Ohio cities and towns have made contributions to this country that people either forget about or don't wanna talk about. Also, I have heard that states with one large metro has the smaller cities and small towns suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio