Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,829 times

Advertisements

2000 & 2004 you guys voted for Bush

and now McCain is in the lead

so . . .

1) How do you feel about Ohio voting for Bush twice?

2) And how do you feel about McCain in the lead in Ohio?

i'm trying to get insight and understanding on how the people of Ohio see themselves

i'm not saying I support McCain or Obama, nor am i saying voting for Bush was a bad idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:29 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,470 times
I am in Cleveland, I supported Bush both times. And as far as McCain goes I do support him as well and I feel fine that he is in the lead and Dumbo is not.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I am in Cleveland, I supported Bush both times. And as far as McCain goes I do support him as well and I feel fine that he is in the lead and Dumbo is not.

thanks for your feedback

are you content with voting for Bush twice?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM

526 posts, read 1,482,224 times
Default Voted Republican my Whole Life

I voted for Bush twice and will vote for McCain. With the way the Democrat party leans so liberal on the national level, there really is no other choice.
Do you really think that Gore or Kerry was such a great choice?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,453,904 times
Quote:

I'm not a native Ohioan and am pretty much out of touch with the locals culturally and politically, tending to be a left/liberal, probably more a social Democrat.

That being said I think Ohio voting for Bush and probably going for McCain is fine with me, as these candidates reflect the values of Ohio voter, as well as longstanding, multi-generational political affiliations. This state is at heart Republican, and has been for generations, so the state supporting Republicans for President is to be expected.

Yet it should be noted Ohio is a diverse state, and political cultures vary. Note that some parts of the state, the old Western Reserve and Toledo, are fairly reliably Democratic in voting.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:28 AM

what kind of traditions and cultures does Ohio share with the republicans?

i heard Ohio is suffering economically due to the two terms of Bush

if this is correct, does that have any impact on your decision?

or maybe i'm getting my info wrong, i figured Ohio was upset with the way Bush and the Republicans handled things

but from reading the comments, sounds like you guys wouldnt mind a third term of Bush

Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post

or maybe I'm getting my info wrong, i figured Ohio was upset with the way Bush and the Republicans handled things

but from reading the comments, sounds like you guys wouldn't mind a third term of Bush
I would mind a third term of Bush! I can't stand to even see his face or hear his voice. I guess you have to understand that Ohio is made up of 5 distinct areas. Where i live most people are dems, but socially conservative.

Yes, Ohio is hurting, but i don't blame it all on Bush, i blame it on Washington's policies and both republicans and democrats alike. Many in Ohio are disenfranchised w/both parties and have realized that they are both one in the same.........aka........looking out for corporate interests instead of the American people's interests.

We are a swing state for a reason, and to me, neither candidate is saying anything. They aren't going to help us..........this happens every four years. They come to Youngstown, get their pictures taken in front of old dilapidated buildings and steel mills, promise us the world, and then they forget about us. We are sick of being used!

Screw both parties! That's pretty much the sentiment i get from most people around here.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 AM

65 posts, read 253,336 times
FreshFresh, if i were not a native Ohioan and i was following this thread, i would also believe that almost all Ohioans are enamored with Bush. and that is just not so. many of us are embittered, not only with Republicans, but with politics at large. a large number of politicians are so caught up with their own elitism, they are completely out of touch with not only Ohio, but with the Midwest.

personally, i'm Green Party who will assuredly vote Democrat this year. honestly, it has come down to the fact with most Americans (no matter the affiliation) to vote for the lesser of 2 evils. the sudden love affair with politics this election year has more to do with desperation than anything else. our economic and social systems are at stake.

i know my post is a bit scattered, but the original question and subsequent posts have made a lot of thoughts come to mind.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:29 PM

211 posts, read 544,608 times
Quote:

or maybe i'm getting my info wrong, i figured Ohio was upset with the way Bush and the Republicans handled things

but from reading the comments, sounds like you guys wouldnt mind a third term of Bush
Im in shock that Ohio would vote for MC Cain, that state has been in deep
trouble sense the 70's. ALLLLL the factories are gone, well the buildings they are still there, leaking all their oil and slug into the ground, for everyone to get sick. There is no work there, all jobs the people are so desperatly trying to hang on to are just about gone. It is the most polutid
place I have ever been. So many people that live in Warren and the surrounding towns are on drugs and welfare. There has been no leadership there for years.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
2000 & 2004 you guys voted for Bush

and now McCain is in the lead

so . . .

Please review where in the State (location) voted for Bush, is sure as heck wasn't the NE portion. You should direct your comment to Southern Ohio, bang up job they did eh? I was soooooo glad I left right after the 2nd election. How embarassing. Everyone can make a mistake once, but twice?
And now look at what they have.

He is? If he is then all I can say is the state hasn't learned their lesson yet again. But I bet a bottom dollar he is not in the lead if you poll say, Cleveland, Akron, Canton and Youngstown.

i'm trying to get insight and understanding on how the people of Ohio see themselves

Got me, but I would think they'd be fed up even the southern part of the state.

i'm not saying I support McCain or Obama, nor am i saying voting for Bush was a bad idea
Why not? IT WAS A BAD IDEA.....A VERY BAD IDEA, did you watch the news today? We're xx<--- this far from the 2nd big depression. Thank you very much George Bush and the republican party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
View detailed profiles of: