Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:51 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,944,883 times

Advertisements

Actually, it's 5 cities
Quote:
10 largest cities (2005 est.): Columbus, 730,657; Cleveland, 452,208; Cincinnati, 308,728; Toledo, 301,285; Akron, 210,795; Dayton, 158,873; Parma, 82,837; Youngstown, 81,469; Canton, 79,478; Lorain, 67,820
Ohio: History, Geography, Population, and State Facts — Infoplease.com

There are some very hillbilly backwards areas of Ohio too. Remember this is coming from one of the biggest Ohio cheerleaders you'll ever meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 28,344 times
Living half my life in WV and half in OH I will say this about the difference in people "generally" being WV tend to be more suspicious of you (klanish) til they get to know you.
OH people tend to be more distant and self focused
But to be truthful it depends on the person.
Yes I agree there are backwoods tendencies in both states depending where you go
as is true with most states.
WV has gotten a reputation to live down and to be honest I don't think most WV care what others think of them (crazy like a fox)
I was born a Buckye and that is where my heart is but the people of WV are mostly good and honest people

Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,547,484 times
Well said, Go tribe! I grew up living on the East Coast and had some really stereotypical ideas about what states like WV, KY and TN were like. Now that I'm older and have actually been to those places, I find them all very appealing. Yep, you can find great people (AND idiots) everywhere!. (BTW, I found WV-ers very nice)

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM

113 posts, read 425,443 times
Both my mom's & my dad's side of the family were from WV. I spent much of my childhood vacations in Spencer, WV & Ovapa, WV (in Clay County). I grew up in Ohio. I love Ohio & plan to back with in the next few years. I love the weather & the snow (apparently they're having a blizzard there right now!) & the people... for the most part. I'm currently teaching in SC. If I had the chance though to move to WV & teach there, I would go for that too. I just adored Ovapa. There's a place that my dad went as a kid & took me as a kid called Buzzard Rock... it is my most favorite place EVER. It's a huge rock shaped like a buzzard at the top of a mountain... and oh my, is it amazing! WV really has such great memories for me. This last year I took my boyfriend to enjoy Buzzard Rock! Check us out! It was amazing, just like always!!! The picutre doesn't really give the whole view, but you can see out across the mountain for miles & miles. We're standing on the Buzzard's head.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:22 PM

455 posts, read 1,886,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
Both my mom's & my dad's side of the family were from WV. I spent much of my childhood vacations in Spencer, WV & Ovapa, WV (in Clay County). I grew up in Ohio. I love Ohio & plan to back with in the next few years. I love the weather & the snow (apparently they're having a blizzard there right now!) & the people... for the most part. I'm currently teaching in SC. If I had the chance though to move to WV & teach there, I would go for that too. I just adored Ovapa. There's a place that my dad went as a kid & took me as a kid called Buzzard Rock... it is my most favorite place EVER. It's a huge rock shaped like a buzzard at the top of a mountain... and oh my, is it amazing! WV really has such great memories for me. This last year I took my boyfriend to enjoy Buzzard Rock! Check us out! It was amazing, just like always!!! The picutre doesn't really give the whole view, but you can see out across the mountain for miles & miles. We're standing on the Buzzard's head.
Are you putting your hand down her top? Nice!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Are you putting your hand down her top? Nice!!
I AM the fabulous lady there thank you! & no he's not... but he is pretty good about doing an optical illusion where it looks like he does! It must be his hand's natural resting place Ha ha!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM

455 posts, read 1,886,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebyoptimism View Post
I AM the fabulous lady there thank you! & no he's not... but he is pretty good about doing an optical illusion where it looks like he does! It must be his hand's natural resting place Ha ha!
Hahaha... verrr cool photo btw. Have you visited the sinks of gandy?

...if not, google "sinks of gandy"

Old 01-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
Hahaha... verrr cool photo btw. Have you visited the sinks of gandy?
Hmm, I had to think about that one & look it up on the map! I've never been there.... I thought it sounded familiar & that's b/c my great-grandma was from Gandeeville, near Spencer. So is Gandy part of a state park? What's it like?? I love to travel & my boyfriend loves climbing anything that he can! Ha ha. In Ohio by where we lived, there's Virginia Kendall... It's pretty cool. Here I am there. Made me feel pretty small!

Not as cool as Hocking Hills though... it's in Southern Ohio. & it's awesome! I felt like a speck on the earth when I was standing on those HUGE rocks! Here's a pic from Hocking Hills... Can you see us down there?? It blew me away!!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:29 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,448,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioKid View Post
I grew up in Belpre, Ohio which is right across the river from Parkersburg, West Virginia.

No question I prefer Ohio. Nothing wrong with WV, it is actually a very nice state.

I prefer large cities and WV doesn't have any. Ohio has the 3C's, Toledo, Akron, Dayton, etc.

If one wanted to be in a more rural area then WV would be a great place to live.
I have a cousin who lived in WV for about 2-years; moved to Ohio and is much happier now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio