Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I've been slow to reply because you seem to be more interested in suburban/rural living. The outer east side can provide that (there are working farms within the city limits on that side of town) but I'm not very familiar with that area, and some bad parts of the city are also on the east side.

Youngstown does have a bad reputation. But, as someone who actually lives in the city, I think it's exagerated. I've worked downtown for almost 9 years and have lived on the city's lower west side for almost 7.(adjacant to the "dangerous" Mill Creek Park, no less) I have yet to be a victim of a crime. I'm not saying there isn't crime in the city. But I think it's being addressed, and it's not as bad as some believe.

I will also agree that the Mahoning river was polluted by the steel mills for decades. But, the pollution has been "encapsulated" by years of additional silt. This doesn't matter much as far as recreation though, because the river is largely ignored by almost everyone. There is a project by the Army Corps of Engineers to clean up the river. But, it's hard to say when that will happen. Here is a link to that project's website: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pittsburgh District - Mahoning River, Ohio Environmental Dredging
I know they've already dredged a lot of the river north of Youngstown and like you said, no one really uses it for recreation anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 03:56 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I know they've already dredged a lot of the river north of Youngstown and like you said, no one really uses it for recreation anyway.
A co-worker, who lives in Vienna, actually went canoeing on the Mahoning up there. He really enjoyed it, but I couldn't tell you exactly where he was, just that it was in the Warren area.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000000 View Post
mosquito lake is named after all of the mosquitos which inevitably make it less fun. you will have to drive away to find water activities.

This statement proves to me that you know nothing about Mosquito Lake or Trumbull Co for that matter. Mosquito Lake, until the 1940's, was pretty much all rural farmland until the Army Corp of Engineers damned up Mosquito Creek and created a reservoir.

There was a reason it was called Mosquito Creek (which you can read about below), but that is mostly legend. I've lived w/in 5 minutes of Mosquito Creek Lake most of my life and i'm here to tell you that Mosquitos are no more a problem there than anywhere else in the Mahoning Valley. I also know a ton of people that use the lake and State Park for recreation. If there were swarms of mosquitos there i doubt so many people in the area would fish, swim, boat and have picnics at the lake.

Quote:
What started out as a flood control project for surrounding rivers in 1944, Mosquito Creek Lake has developed into one of the most popular sites for outdoor recreation in the area over the past 61 years. These last six decades has brought promise to the lake with the development of five launch ramps, campgrounds and picnic areas, swimming beach, and many hiking trails to enjoy. Mosquito Lake draws lovers of the outdoors not only from the surrounding counties but from throughout Ohio and its bordering states.

Mosquito Creek Lake was named for the pesky insects that inhabited the marshy area, but that did not keep the avid fishermen away from the lake. The legend of the name is based upon two traveling brothers from Cleveland setting off towards Youngstown. The brothers were transporting a large iron kettle in their wagon, which was used for boiling salt from mineral water. During their journey, they came upon a swampy stream where they decided to make camp for the night. While they were sleeping, a huge swarm of mosquitoes attacked and to escape from the deadly "blood-sucking" insects, they overturned the iron kettle and crawled under it for protection. Legend has it that months later, a group of travelers came across the a deserted camp where they found the wagon, skeletons of two horses and a kettle with small holes in it. Underneath the iron kettle were the skeletal remains of the two traveling brothers. From the legendary attack of the deadly swarms of insects, the murky stream was named Mosquito Creek. The name remained as the creek was built into a lake in 1944.

It was suggested to rename the lake to 'Western Reserve' Lake or McKinley Reservoir to sound more appealing to perspective visitors. It was feared that the name would prevent the lake from gaining popularity but despite the name, the people still came.
Causeway Sporting Goods :: Mosquito Lake :: Not IN but ON Mosquito Lake in Mecca, OH

Here's a great shot of the Lake........to the right is the City of Cortand, Bazetta Township is to the west. (taken from google)

A view of Downtown Cortland w/the Lake in the background

Old 03-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
A co-worker, who lives in Vienna, actually went canoeing on the Mahoning up there. He really enjoyed it, but I couldn't tell you exactly where he was, just that it was in the Warren area.
It was probably in Leavittsburg........they have a canoe launch there and i believe there is also a park. I'm pretty sure they've dredged that part of the river and most of the industry was located south of there anyway.

Here's a link, Canoe City

Old 03-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Could you please expand on the green spaces available in the area and outdoor opportunites? I really am interested in water activities. What about pollution? What are property taxes like? What about the cost of living? And what about the restaurants/neighborhood taverns in the area (I am not a big bar/dance club person)?
I have been looking at areas in NH, VT, WV, SC, and PA. I am just trying to gather more info.
Bethany,

To answer your questions..........once you get out of the cities there are so many green spaces it's hard to elaborate unless you ask about a specific area.

There are plenty of outdoor opportunities. As mentioned above there is Mosquito Lake, as well as many other lakes in the area. There are lots of historical events, festivals and parades during the warm months. There is also a bike trail, Home | Mill Creek MetroParks, Wagon Trails Animal Park, and much more.

I think pollution really isn't an issue. You definitely won't see smog here.

Property taxes depend on what area you're in. They may be considered high to some people, but it depends on where you are coming from. They aren't as high as the northeast and not as cheap as the south. For example, my parents live in a $300k house (3000 sq/ft) on 1 acre in Bazetta Township, which is a desirable area with Excellent schools (Lakeview Local). They pay around $4500/year in property taxes. When i lived in Niles on a very small lot, i had a $76k house (2700 sq/ft) where the taxes were about $900/year. Property taxes vary by municipality and school district. If you are more interested i can give you a link to the Millage breakdown by district paid in Trumbull Co.

The cost of living depends on what you are talking about. Housing is obviously cheap, taxes middle of the road. Groceries and utilities aren't bad. Something else to think about is wage tax. Some cities will tax you a % (usually 1%-3%) on your wages. This is true of Youngstown, Niles and Warren. Most townships (save Boardman or maybe Austintown) do not have a wage tax. There is also State Tax, but i'm not sure on the rate. I think our sales taxes aren't too bad compared to some places. I know Trumbull's is 6.5%, where Mahoning and Columbiana are higher. Ohio also does not tax food unless you have a sit down meal somewhere.

Like 000000 said, most local family restaurants are Italian (and they are some of the best out there). We have just about all the chains and big box stores. You'll also find some good Japanese, Greek, Chinese, and Soul Food, as well as all american.

There are also plenty of bars in the area. We have a lot of sports bars and lots of restaurants with bars. My hometown used to be dry, but now some places do carry alcohol. There are no bars in Cortland, but most areas do have them. I prefer to visit the small hole in the wall type places where you can hear yourself talk.........they usually have great food and they're cheap. One of my favorite places to go is Welcome to The Lake Tavern Website ~ 330-637-1971 ~ 6071 St Rt 46 Mecca Ohio 44410 located north of Cortland on Mosquito Lake, but there are plenty more.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 31,665 times
Default It's just fine

The Youngstown area is beautiful. The people are friendly and I believe it's a good place to raise children. My sister was born there.
There is Youngstown State U that generates a good group of people and adds to the area.
My parents' families lived in Struthers which is close to Youngstown and my grandpa worked at Youngstown Sheet and Tube until he retired. It was an eyesore after it closed but has been torn down.

My aunt lives in Canfield, a nice area, but I haven't been there in years. Still nice?
I wouldn't be concerned about crime. I would imagine suburban/rural families aren't a target.
Do the women at Trinity Church in Youngstown still sell pirohy on Fridays?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM

323 posts, read 835,309 times
I was doing a wide general search on realtor.com and it brought up a couple properties in the Youngstown area. I couldn't really tell you where they were because I am not familiar with the area. I have only been to Columbus, Ohio.
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. I am just doing a general search now and have not narrowed it down to a specific area. Like I said, the states I am interested in are NH, VT, SC, WV, and PA (and now maybe OH). Looking for good outdoor activities nearby (mostly water related), affordable housing, lots of green space, low pollution, and a nice walkable town. The NH and VT areas look perfect, but the cost of living, housing, and taxes are pretty insane.
I guess my only other question would be - are there any small/medium sized walkable towns or suburbs of Youngstown or the area that you would recommend?

Old 03-08-2009, 11:42 PM

602 posts, read 2,034,241 times
Quote:
I guess my only other question would be - are there any small/medium sized walkable towns or suburbs of Youngstown or the area that you would recommend?
I'm not sure where you're at now, but the only places that would come close in my mind are Canfield, Poland, and Girard. Just to the south in Columbiana County, Salem, Columbiana, and Lisbon also might fit that bill.
But really, any of those places, you'll need to travel elsewhere or to areas where walking isn't necesarily safe, (I'm not talking crime, but things like heavy traffic and lack of sidewalks) to do some of your shopping.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:52 PM

Niles, McDonald, and Hubbard might be possibilities depending on what side of the main drag you live on. I think most of Cortland is walkable, especially downtown and in the older neighborhoods (but Cortland is pretty smalll). That being said, you will definitely need a car living in this part of Ohio unless you plan on taking a cab. There is also the WRTA, but it only serves certain areas. I've never taken a cab or bus around here myself. I've heard they are pretty gross, but I know JR_C takes the WRTA bus around Youngstown, so he can comment on that.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 AM

69 posts, read 191,706 times
Quote:
I was doing a wide general search on realtor.com and it brought up a couple properties in the Youngstown area. I couldn't really tell you where they were because I am not familiar with the area. I have only been to Columbus, Ohio.
I appreciate all the comments and feedback. I am just doing a general search now and have not narrowed it down to a specific area. Like I said, the states I am interested in are NH, VT, SC, WV, and PA (and now maybe OH). Looking for good outdoor activities nearby (mostly water related), affordable housing, lots of green space, low pollution, and a nice walkable town. The NH and VT areas look perfect, but the cost of living, housing, and taxes are pretty insane.
Bethany,

While I am also giving serious consideration to moving to the outskirts of Youngstown, I think I can speak with some authority about northern New England.

Originally born just outside of Boston, I spent a fair portion of my summers in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. When my first son was born, back in 1992, my wife and I made the decision to move to Vermont, probably based on reading the tourist brochures or something, I'm not sure now.

After nearly 15 years, we moved away and I can tell you that I wish we had never made the mistake of moving there in the first place.

Like New Hampshire, there are two "Vermonts" one which is relatively gentrified (read civilized) and the other which make Bob Newhart's television show look positively delightful.

In northern Vermont (as well as the southwest) the native population needs to shoot a deer or there will be no protein to eat over the winter. We chose to buy a house about 20 miles north of what we used to refer to as Deliveranceville - and we called it that for very good reason. Child and spouse abuse is rampant, crime is another world where if you're broken into and you call the police, they will tell you to call you insurance company, the police don't investigate breakins.

The schools, like anywhere else, are hit or miss but most of them are small and cannot attract the kind of teachers you would probably prefer to have your children taught by - not that there aren't good teachers in Vermont, there certainly are some.

New Hampshire has a southern section that really should be considered the suburbs of Boston, as almost everyone commutes to Massachusetts for work. I can assure you, if it wasn't for the Welcome to Whichever State you just entered sign, you couldn't tell where one state stops and the next begins.

Northern New Hampshire is another animal altogether. The poverty rates (as in the less expensive areas of Vermont) are catastrophic and the quality of life follows closely behind. Are they breathtakingly beautiful places to live? Absolutely - but they are also very dangerous. Our child's school principal was killed in a car accident with a moose - no, this isn't a laughing matter or all that rare an occurrence. In some areas you can be an hour away from a very small hospital (by the time the ambulance reaches you and takes you back to the hospital) and when you get there you'll be lucky is they can help you. We saw real air temperatures of -38 (no wind chill allowance) and I can tell you that a breakdown on a country road in those conditions can be life threatening.

Here's a taste of the local color...

I remember one conversation I overheard while waiting in the checkout line at a general store. General Stores, for those of you unfamiliar with the concept, carry everything from hunting rifles to beer - making it convenient for you, as well as acting kind of as the town center.

Quote:
Guy in front of me says to the cashier - "Hey, have you seen John around?"

Cashier - "Nope, not since he cut off his fingers."

Guy - "What? Again?"

(Now, by this time, I figure these two are just kidding around for my benefit...)

Cashier - "Yup, again. this time he got the other hand."

(Um, I guess not.)

Guy - "Damn, does this mean I'm not going to get my wood this week?"
Vermont - it's like a whole 'nother country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio