Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Traffic In Oklahoma City, Has It Gotten
Better 6 17.65%
The Same 14 41.18%
Worse 14 41.18%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:56 PM

24 posts, read 43,936 times

Advertisements

Regarding merging, in driver's ed I was taught to truly follow the "yield" sign which means you pay attention to the speed of the far right lane and adjust accordingly, even if that means you have to completely stop before you get on; I was taught that that was acceptable. My Point is that you can't just expect to be able to go right up to the speed limit or faster while merging, but at the same time expect people to move over for you; they have every right to stay exactly where they are. There is only so much room to merge, so you have to build speed gradually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
Regarding merging, in driver's ed I was taught to truly follow the "yield" sign which means you pay attention to the speed of the far right lane and adjust accordingly, even if that means you have to completely stop before you get on; I was taught that that was acceptable. My Point is that you can't just expect to be able to go right up to the speed limit or faster while merging, but at the same time expect people to move over for you; they have every right to stay exactly where they are. There is only so much room to merge, so you have to build speed gradually.
And that's exactly how I approach driving.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
35+ years ago when I took drivers ed, our second week of driving was on freeways. (no not in OK) The first thing they told us was that you needed to be up to the speed of the traffic on the road when you got to the end of the entrance ramp. If some moron in front of you doesn't have the huevos to force their way into traffic on the freeway and they slow down to 35 they are going to get others drivers hurt. Likewise, if you are on the freeway in the right lane and you see cars trying to get on, have the decency to move over and let them on.
>>>>>
Likewise, if you are on the freeway in the right lane and you see cars trying to get on, have the decency to move over and let them on.
<<<<<

Amen, Friend!

Note to Yankee transplants: You can be courteous to others on the road.

It is possible to take the 2.5 seconds to get over in the mid/left lane while someone from the access road gets on the highway. You can do it!!!

Old 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
Obviously you can't move over if there are cars in the left lane, but you can be polite enough to move over and let people on if it's clear to do so. To not do so is arrogant, rude and dangerous. I don't know how many times I've had people almost run me off the road, or seen it happen to others because someone won't get their behinds over and let others get on. Sometimes I can't tell if these drivers are rude or just oblivious to the world around them. Too many times drivers act as if the freeway is theirs alone.

I was taught that the ramp was for building up your speed, so that you would be at the speed of the traffic you are entering once you reach the top of the entrance ramp. Otherwise, you slow down the traffic on the roadway you are entering, causing a dangerous situation or them, as well as the other drivers behind you on the entrance ramp.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM

593 posts, read 1,795,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMidnightSoul View Post
I think a one hit wonder post is generally a sign that someone has a "beef" with the topic they are posting about and should be grounds for looking upon their opinion with skepticism (and vice versa, they could be pumping up an idea they have stake in).

I'm from Oklahoma. I moved away many years ago and have lived in many large and many not-so-large cities while working on contracts. I can say this was one of the funniest, most highly exaggerated (so much so that 'exaggeration' is too light a word-flat out falsities is closer to the truth, lol) that I have read in a long time. It's so far off base that I think it's pretty obvious the poster is not being sincere. They haven't been back to post on this topic, under that same name since then, so I think that affirms that.

It was good for a laugh though.
I'm back and still stand on my views about the nutty drivers here. I had to come home today and "chill" because of a near incident with one of Oklahoma's finest...

We were driving down NW Expressway (going East) when a car ahead of us decided to cross the medium, crossing on coming traffic so he could pull into Red Lobster... Where's a cop when you need them?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

778 posts, read 2,323,282 times
The drivers here won't be winning any "driver of the year" awards, but the blunt truth is drivers suck everywhere. The bad habits vary from place to place, of course (I really would wish people here would learn to merge!) I'm not that old, but I feel all you need is a pulse and be able to fake your way through a vision test to get a DL in most places.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM

80 posts, read 151,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Eyes View Post
I'm back and still stand on my views about the nutty drivers here. I had to come home today and "chill" because of a near incident with one of Oklahoma's finest...

We were driving down NW Expressway (going East) when a car ahead of us decided to cross the medium, crossing on coming traffic so he could pull into Red Lobster... Where's a cop when you need them?

Sorry for the confusion. I was replying to another poster though, the one I quoted in my original post.

I agree with #1soonerfan, drivers suck everywhere. I've failed to drive through a state that didn't have their fair share of bad drivers or bad cultural habits in reference to driving. It's everywhere.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,647 times
Taking 45 minutes for 2 miles is not literally true. It is probably more like 7 minutes for 2 miles on rush hour.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 AM

1 posts, read 747 times
Lets be honest every place has its pros and cons. When someone from another area moves to these places they notice negatives and come to generalizations much faster than someone thats been living there for years. While dcoleman made some offensive comments, the same conclusions are made about many cities (including alabama as he stated). When I talk to outsiders about my home state (not OKC) they say some very offensive things and as disrespected as I may feel by these comments some if not most are true. The problems standout to those that arent accustom to said lifestyle. His basic points were true and substanciated by other posts on city-data regarding OKC. It doesnt take much research to find the glaring drug issues and race relations issues in OKC. Even though some of his examples maybe exaggerated (everyone driving 40 over the limit) his general point shouldnt be dismissed. Everyone that smokes wont get cancer but that doesnt dismiss someones statement that "smoking gives you cancer"...

I was stationed in OKC (Tinker) and have been to many cities around the world. I didnt mind OKC but I didnt compare it to where I came from nor did I set high expectations. I think that there are many benefits to living there. I have even considered returning to attend Grad School at OSU. With the positives there were many glaring issues within a city of this size. In relation to OKC's size, population, industry, infrastructure etc. there really isnt any reason for some of the issues many complain about (culture, recreation, bad driving, Drugs, racism, lack of progress etc.) There are many cities with less resources, taxation, education etc. that have progressed onto "best cities in the US" lists. These are cities that have started with nothing but a Main Street and an old civil war story. When people come to OKC they just look at the demographics of the area and expect more. Its not that another city is better its just that some of the minimum expectancies of a city its size arent in place which makes it feel outdated and out of touch.

Regarding driving, when I was there I was almost T-boned at an intersection by a 01-06 red chevy tahoe running a red light that was red for more than a minute. I know this because I literally braked in the middle of the intersection and was shocked stiff at the fact that I was still alive. People helped me so I seen how long it took for the light to turn red in my lane. I crosschecked left and right when I had a green light for the rest of my time there. Many of the merge lanes were gaps in fences with no signs that lead to the interstate. Drivers were unpredictable. in most areas that have low traffic congestion you can drive tired, relaxed or use cruise control. In OKC you have to be fully alert because that car in front of you or beside you will do something irratic and illegal. This is definately the case if they missed there exit. I seen cars force everyone over to make a turn versus just driving one block over.

There was an unexpected light snowfall that was an out of season record for OKC when I was there. That morning alone there was a reported 21 car crashs and hundreds of cars on the side of the road via News9. Not for Icy road conditions or feet of unshoveled snow but for a light percipitation snow fall? This was my first year there, it was the weirdest thing I ever experienced. Everyone was driving slow/irratic as if it were December in Minneapolis but the snow was light and melting as soon as it hit the ground.

I think with regards to dcoleman he just represents people that have lived places similar to OKC that offer alot (so they expect similar) or cities smaller than OKC (so they look forward to a big city experience). Its a little dissapointing when a place has so much to offer but doesnt meet its full potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City