Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 AM

157 posts, read 218,205 times

Advertisements

I am visiting from Seattle for a week, and would like to try some restaurants Oklahoma City locals would be proud to claim.

If you had a special guest or visiting family, where would you take them?

In other words, name your favorite places to eat! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:04 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
There are some really great places to eat in OKC, but our favorite place, without a doubt, is Cheevers. It's upscale comfort food. It's great for lunch or dinner, and they also have a really good Sunday brunch. I've never had anything there I didn't love. If you are in the mood for steak I would also recommend Red Prime, which is actually owned by the same company. While not inexpensive, it is worth every penny.

If you are in the mood for something really casual, try Big Truck Tacos. It's in the same neighborhood as Cheevers. Very different, not your run of the mill type tacos. They have the usual, steak and chicken tacos, but also, brisket, bison and tongue. If you are feeling adventurous, try the 5th Amendment taco. It's different every day, and they won't tell you what it is. Just order it and see what you get.

We also enjoy Red Rock Canyon Grill on Lake Hefner. Its a great place to watch the sunset and if the weather is nice, sit outside and have a drink on the deck. There are a couple of other places on the lake that are nice as well but the only other one we ever frequent is Mama Roja's Mexican Grill. Again you can sit outside and have a drink and watch the sunset. Sometimes they will have a band playing at the outside bar.

The Paseo Grill is also really good. It's in the arts area called the Paseo. It's really a cool, kind of dark and intimate place. Even their meatloaf is good.

Anyway, these are just a few of the great places here. I'm sure someone else will make some more great suggestions.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:45 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,188,963 times
Just north of bricktown there's a little pizza place called the Wedge. My wife and I really like it. I wouldn't make it your top choice, but it would be a nice choice for lunch if you are in the area. It has a good atmosphere and good food. Also, if you like fajitas, I'd go to Ted's cafe escondido. There are several of them around the OKC area. If you go there then remember that you and another person can easily split a signle order of fajitas.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,986 times
Would second Cheevers and Big Truck Tacos. Caddycorner to Cheevers is a new place named Tuckers Onion Burgers. I've learned that onion burgers are sort of an Oklahoma specialty. The place is delicious, and they serve fresh limeade and old fashion shakes as well.

Also, OKC has a huge Viet community right along Classen b/w 23rd and 50th. So there are a ton of Pho places. Its not the prettiest neighborhood, but that area is nationally known and has been profiled in the NY Times.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,500,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
I am visiting from Seattle for a week, and would like to try some restaurants Oklahoma City locals would be proud to claim.

If you had a special guest or visiting family, where would you take them?

Earl's Rib Palace off of Western/63rd I believe.

You won't get that kinda BBQ in the Northwest. Better capitalize on it while you can.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:39 AM

533 posts, read 1,710,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkoreaus View Post
Panang - 9022 S Pennsylvania Ave - Thai - great lunch special

Cajun King - 700 Ed Noble Parkway - Norman - buffet but really good beignets and catfish that the server brings to your table - so go easy on the buffet and wait on the catfish and beignets

Misal of India - 580 Ed Noble Pkwy - Norman - buffet at lunch - very good

Himalayas - 709 N Moore Ave - Moore -

Bella Vista - 5801 S Western Ave - very good Italian

Tacos San Pedro - 2301 SW 44th -

Abel's Mexican - 6901 South May Avenue

Earl's in Moore

5 Guys in Moore if you haven't had it and want it

Two Olives Cafe - 201 N Broadway St - Moore

Il Dolce Gelato - 937 B SW 25th St - Moore - really good gelato

For more expensive evening:
Mahogany Prime - 3241 W Memorial Rd - steak
Red Prime - 504 N Broadway - steak

So many other places can't really think of all them.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Would second Cheevers and Big Truck Tacos. Caddycorner to Cheevers is a new place named Tuckers Onion Burgers. I've learned that onion burgers are sort of an Oklahoma specialty. The place is delicious, and they serve fresh limeade and old fashion shakes as well.

Also, OKC has a huge Viet community right along Classen b/w 23rd and 50th. So there are a ton of Pho places. Its not the prettiest neighborhood, but that area is nationally known and has been profiled in the NY Times.
I've heard Tuckers is great, but its only been open a couple of weeks and I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Tuckers is owned the by the same company that owns Cheevers and Red Prime. They also own Repulic Gastropub in the Classen Curve. It is a really cool place is. Very upscale kind of pub/sports bar in a new/upscale shopping area just across from the Chesapeake Energy campus. The food is really good there, but my only complaint was I felt it was a bit pricy for the amount of food served. It would definitely be worth a visit though.

Another place I forgot to mention earlier is Bella Forte Glass Studio/Italian Jim's Restaurant in downtown Edmond. This is a really cool new place which is an Italian restaurant that is connected to a glass blowing studio. The food is very good, great pizzas etc and you can watch glass being blown while you wait for your table. The restaurant is decorated with some of the beautiful examples of the glass being blown and is all for sale. It's a very different concept and seems to be doing very well. I would call ahead to make sure they are blowing glass before you go because I don't know if they are working in the studio every evening or what.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cattlemans.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Cattlemans.
Bleh!
I know its an OKC institution, and maybe it's because I haven't lived here that long, but it just doesn't even come on my radar. It's okay, but it's just never really done much for me.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,756,943 times
RePUBlic Gastropub-beef shanks
Metro-bread pudding
Cheevers-chicken fried steak/grits
Red Prime
Coach house
Deep Fork grill
Nichols Hills Drug-burgers
Cafe Antigua
Mutts Hotdogs-so good
Cafe do Brazil
Stellas
McNellies Public House- St. Patty burger/sweet potato fries
Kaisers- I actually had a steak there...pretty good
Kamps
Red Rock Canyon Grill- chicken stuffed poblano
Tokyo sushi house-best sushi
someplace else- #13 I believe w xtra avocado
Big Truck tacos- Dont get the fish tacos...bit bland
Ranch Steakhouse- best steaks in the state. Doesnt get enough recognition. get the house salad

Last edited by happytown; 09-22-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City