Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 AM

751 posts, read 1,179,228 times

Advertisements

Questions about OKC!!? I have been to Tulsa and although I had all these misconceptions about Oklahoma in general. Tulsa reminded me so much of a Texas city like Dallas..I was expecting Tulsa to be a total "redneck" town, but it turned out to be a pretty average city. Is OKC similar to Tulsa? Almost like Dallas and Houston are a bit different but very similar? Is Oklahoma City growing as fast as Dallas, or is it kinda stagnant? Also, I can see how Tulsa can be a "boring" place after a while..is OKC more vibrant? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 09:12 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,622,556 times
To me Tulsa is less like Dallas than OKC is, just because to me Dallas is more cowboy and Tulsa is less cowboy than OKC. I would say that maybe OKC is like a little Fort Worth.

Is OKC similar to Tulsa? Those are fightin' words for some of us. Just TO ME, Tulsa is more sophisticated than OKC, and prettier. Tulsa has art deco architecture, OKC has 50's space-age architecture. I find the space-age architecture charming in its way.

OKC is growing, but not at a frenetic pace. Sustainable, year after year growth is the best way.

I don't get bored easily, so I will leave your last question to others.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:12 AM

702 posts, read 2,518,294 times
Ok City has the cowboy and softball hall of fame, Tulsa has Philbrook Art Museum and Gilcrease Museum. If you like rodeo's, red dirt, and large truck stops, Ok. City is your town. If you like culture and a charming small town atmosphere than Tulsa is your place.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM

1,586 posts, read 6,759,302 times
Default Dont Go There.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
Ok City has the cowboy and softball hall of fame, Tulsa has Philbrook Art Museum and Gilcrease Museum. If you like rodeo's, red dirt, and large truck stops, Ok. City is your town. If you like culture and a charming small town atmosphere than Tulsa is your place.
Your response deserves nothing.....All I have to say is OKC has 3 of the four 4 star hotels in oklahoma....so it cant be that bad.

The OP is probably thinking WOW- how ridiculious can someone be???

And Peggy I have noticed that many times you are a bit off on your perception of OKC along with your info....I mean come on now....OKC is a little ft. worth?? UHH...They both have the same population, but OKC is the capitol of Oklahoma and is going through major major major changes and has a metro of 1.3 million people....Like I have said before...research...research.

To the OP I would take these comments as rivalry BS. OKC is a lot like Dallas and I would call it a small Dallas to be exact.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:51 PM

Gee Happytown, I didn't know everyone has to have the same opinion on this board. So if someone has a different perception of OKC than you do, then that's just.....wrong.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Peggy....

Sorry if you took it the wrong way....I just feel your information can be somewhat off.....thats all...It can be very important to give correct info. I feel this thread can lead to "fighting words" like you said....And you are just throwing coal on the fire.....Not for me...But probably many others...I dont think the board would like that too much. So lets make up and not make this worse. OK...

Old 08-30-2007, 05:48 PM

Well, Happytown, different people think of things in different ways. I think posters who are really moving to OKC appreciate different viewpoints. I appreciate that you are a very factual person, and I guess I am more a person that goes on feelings. When I said OKC is more like a little Ft. Worth, that was not derogatory. That was based on my feeling when I was in downtown Ft. Worth, the architecture and the atmosphere just reminded me so much of downtown OKC. Plus Ft. Worth has so many nice people! I never get that feeling in Dallas, but it is a nice city.

I think the Tulsa vs OKC thing is more of a good natured argument, and it has been going on since probably the original 89er day. I don't take it any more seriously than Ford trucks vs Dodge trucks, but I have heard arguments on that subject that did turn heated LOL! No hard feelings on my part to you Happytown. Dang, I can't make that happyface work!

Old 08-31-2007, 06:09 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Default A Class By Itself

I think both OKC and Tulsa are reasonably nice places and have distinctive personalities. Tulsa has more hills. There is growth going on in both places and they seem to have good economies. Both cities have issues as far as street and road maintenance. But I believe both places have something good to offer. As far as the comparisons to Dallas, well, Texas is just very different and the cities are larger and have a higher job and growth rate, so it wouldn't be fair to call OKC or Tulsa a little "anything from Texas". The personality is different in Texas cities. Oklahoma's metro areas are just in a class by themselves. And that's not a bad thing.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 AM

Smile happy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Well, Happytown, different people think of things in different ways. I think posters who are really moving to OKC appreciate different viewpoints. I appreciate that you are a very factual person, and I guess I am more a person that goes on feelings. When I said OKC is more like a little Ft. Worth, that was not derogatory. That was based on my feeling when I was in downtown Ft. Worth, the architecture and the atmosphere just reminded me so much of downtown OKC. Plus Ft. Worth has so many nice people! I never get that feeling in Dallas, but it is a nice city.

I think the Tulsa vs OKC thing is more of a good natured argument, and it has been going on since probably the original 89er day. I don't take it any more seriously than Ford trucks vs Dodge trucks, but I have heard arguments on that subject that did turn heated LOL! No hard feelings on my part to you Happytown. Dang, I can't make that happyface work!

No hard feelings- happytown has a happy face...

Old 08-31-2007, 08:03 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,928,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytown View Post
No hard feelings- happytown has a happy face...

As well happytown should. You live in a great city. A booming, capitol city with good things going down almost every day. It's an exciting time to live in OkC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City