Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 8,749 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing that there are plenty of jobs in Oklahoma, however, when I search monster and other employment websites I have failed to see a significant number of job listings.

Also, of the jobs that I have been able to see, the earnings are particularly low. For example, I went to a city website and the hourly range was 9 to 12 an hour. But a decent home in edmond cost about $130,000. It just does not seem all that inexpensive to me, I could be wrong. I would like for it to be inexpensive. I have concerned moving there, however, I do not want to trade up for the same thing I have here in Phoenix. I moved here because about five years ago, it was very inexpensive. The average job paid $10 to $12 an hour, but the houses cost about $80,000. in metro phoenix. now in four years, the cost has tripled and it is very unaffordable here and the earnings have not gone up.

I cant keep running every four years when the cost start going up. Basically, I would like to know what do you think the average monthly income would need to be in oklahoma for a family of three? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:47 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,627,390 times
I would say that the jobs that pay a lot in Oklahoma City are professional jobs or in the oilfield, skilled construction, etc. Most office jobs do pay about $10-12 an hour on up.

It's hard to say how much a family of three would need to live. How much each family needs depends on their tastes, debt, assets etc. I lived OK on $40,000 a year, making a house payment and a car payment. On the bright side, I don't see costs going way up here like in other parts of the country.

Uh-oh... Iowa State is pretty scrappy so far against OU.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,813 times
I don't see a reason why it would go up in the rural areas. But OKC and Tulsa are growing so fast I'm shocked there hasn't been a definite price increase, yet.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:15 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
Hi Silly, instead of using "Monster", you may want to check out the newspaper ads for the city you're interested in. There is a lot of employment in many different categories.

As far as the cost of living, I've done quite a thorough search on it. OK does have a state income tax and they're tax on goods is nearly 9%, BUT their real estate tax is extremely low. I've searched for small homes (just the two of us), especially condos in the Tulsa area. They are extremely cheap compared to many parts of the country. If you go to Realtor.com, it should bring up quite a few reasonably priced homes for the area you're looking at. Even today, you may still be able to find a fairly nice home for the 80,000 you paid for your house in Az. a few years ago. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM

Houses in some of the rural areas are very cheap. Taxes are low also. I don't see housing and taxes in OKC and Tulsa going up that much in the future, with the tightening of credit. I don't see them falling either, so we are in a good spot.

I hear it is very bad in some places. People have owned their homes for years, then the rapid increases in home prices caused their property taxes to skyrocket. I think I would rather live in a state that taxed your income more and your property less after reading some of the stories on other states' forums.

It was an exciting game, but OU won!

Old 10-21-2007, 03:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,467,764 times
Alright OU!!!! We don't watch sports, but I'm happy that they won.

Seriously Silly, you should check out realtor.com. I have spare time today so I went to realtor.com and did a search. My price range was from zero to 100,000. It brought up 30 choices for homes. Granted, the first few weren't that nice and there were a few condos on there, which it doesn't sound like you're interested in. But there were some very nice homes on there that were listed at under 100,000. Keep in mind that if the list price is 95,000, you'll probably get the house for a price in the area of the 80,000 you paid several years ago for your home. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 PM

OSU won too. I always root for both of them, and when they play each other I am neutral. Until one of them begins to win, then I am for that team.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,188,813 times
You're not from Oklahoma if you root for both of them! That's just not natural. I could care less if OSU does well, they're competition for OU to play in the big 12 championship. I look at anyone funny who cheers for both teams, and peggy, I'm looking cross eyed at you right now

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 AM

Well, I graduated from UCO. Go Bronchos! Where is that football stadium?

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,945,034 times
Ahh Bedlam, that ought to be a good game. It most always is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City