Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,198 times

Advertisements

I've found that people from Oklahoma generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, and that fact seems to hold true concerning Oklahoma's government as well, unfortunately. I mean seriously, the roads, public services, and public officials are so inadequate and so unbelievably incompetent... Who the hell starts drilling pavement at 10 PM at night and keeps it up well into the early hours of the morning? I don't know if Oklahoma's population has a higher concentration of inbred descendants or what the deal is, but I can see why Oklahoma and its major cities rank so poorly when being compared to other major U.S. cities. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMeanSeriously View Post
I've found that people from Oklahoma generally aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, and that fact seems to hold true concerning Oklahoma's government as well, unfortunately. I mean seriously, the roads, public services, and public officials are so inadequate and so unbelievably incompetent... Who the hell starts drilling pavement at 10 PM at night and keeps it up well into the early hours of the morning? I don't know if Oklahoma's population has a higher concentration of inbred descendants or what the deal is, but I can see why Oklahoma and its major cities rank so poorly when being compared to other major U.S. cities. What are your thoughts?
There is lots of corruption but people brush it off because the politicians pander to religious interests. The Southern Baptist church is extremely powerful in Oklahoma and there is little separation of church and state. The average Oklahoma voter only cares about God, abortion, gays, and guns. Politicians can get away with whatever they want to as long as they tell the voters what they want to hear on those issues. In reality while the politicians blabber on about the moral fabric of society, their pockets are being lined by special interest groups that pay them to enact policies that benefit them.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,628,472 times
The Oklahoma legislature raising taxes on gas by 3 cents not to fix the highways, but rather raise teacher pay doesn't make much sense. The June 26th primary suggested enough people have finally had enough of poorly run state government and want to run incumbents out of office.

My state rep doesn't pander to Christian Right interests and has stayed in office. More Oklahoma politicians ought to try doing that.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:44 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
You are welcome to drill pavement during the day considering current weather conditions and citizens complaining about roads being blocked during business hours.
You will be in good company as far as complaining, looking for scapegoats and doing nothing is concerned.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:05 AM

17,788 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
I don't know if Oklahoma's population has a higher concentration of inbred descendants or what the deal is,
Hook 'em? AMIRIGHT?

Old 07-25-2018, 11:41 AM

180 posts, read 668,355 times
Quote:
I don't know if Oklahoma's population has a higher concentration of inbred descendants
Mostly in eastern Oklahoma which is actually western Arkansas.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMM View Post
Mostly in eastern Oklahoma which is actually western Arkansas.
As somebody who went to college in Fort Smith, I would say from a cultural perspective that area is one of the worst and most backwards places in United States. There are elements of that in OKC but nowhere is it as bad as Fort Smith and the surrounding region. Much of Arkansas also looks down on that area because of its extreme backwardness and social conservatism. Fundamentalist Christian cults, including the cult that Timothy McVeigh was involved in, are based on that area. The independent newspaper in Little Rock refers to Fort Smith as "Fort Baptist." Many of the Oklahoma's and Arkansas' worst and most embarrassing lawmakers come from that area.

It's a beautiful region though from a scenic perspective.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
The stupidest people in Oklahoma are the ones who design and fabricate the highway signs.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:58 PM

24,284 posts, read 13,137,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
As somebody who went to college in Fort Smith, I would say from a cultural perspective that area is one of the worst and most backwards places in United States. There are elements of that in OKC but nowhere is it as bad as Fort Smith and the surrounding region. Much of Arkansas also looks down on that area because of its extreme backwardness and social conservatism. Fundamentalist Christian cults, including the cult that Timothy McVeigh was involved in, are based on that area. The independent newspaper in Little Rock refers to Fort Smith as "Fort Baptist." Many of the Oklahoma's and Arkansas' worst and most embarrassing lawmakers come from that area.

It's a beautiful region though from a scenic perspective.
Having lived in Fort Smith and having in-laws in the Poteau area, I agree. Too churchy. Go north along I-49 to Fayetteville, Bentonville, Springdale and you'll find a whole 'nother world of brewpubs, wine bars, fine dining, moderates, and regrettably gridlock and $350K 2000 sq ft subdivision homes. I've only known three people who vehemently hated their hometowns; one from the San Fernando Valley of California, one from Chicago (my father) and one from Spiro. Down here in the sweltering southwest part of the state it's not quite like that.

I'm not liberal. I'm not conservative. What I am is afraid of Sally Kern.

As for the roads, when better to work on them when there's no one on them, less interference, and while it inconveniences a few people it really affects the rest of the world during the workday. Go to California, especially the major metros, and you'll rarely see construction during the day. Imagine the 60, 91 or (shudder) the 405 down to two lanes form the usual 5. I haven't lived in SoCal since the late 80s/early 90s but it was quite the norm to see construction crews setting up at 8 PM after the rush and knock off before 6 AM. Another reason, in the case of my birthplace, it's not 115 outside. As a roofer in Phoenix (flat roofs, not the shingled kind we have out here) we'd start at 4:30, up on the roof at sunrise (around 5 AM in the summer which is when I worked that job) and knock off by 9:30 or 10. Working after hours isn't necessarily dumb, it's quite practical.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:53 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Having lived in Fort Smith and having in-laws in the Poteau area, I agree. Too churchy. Go north along I-49 to Fayetteville, Bentonville, Springdale and you'll find a whole 'nother world of brewpubs, wine bars, fine dining, moderates, and regrettably gridlock and $350K 2000 sq ft subdivision homes. I've only known three people who vehemently hated their hometowns; one from the San Fernando Valley of California, one from Chicago (my father) and one from Spiro. Down here in the sweltering southwest part of the state it's not quite like that.

I'm not liberal. I'm not conservative. What I am is afraid of Sally Kern.

As for the roads, when better to work on them when there's no one on them, less interference, and while it inconveniences a few people it really affects the rest of the world during the workday. Go to California, especially the major metros, and you'll rarely see construction during the day. Imagine the 60, 91 or (shudder) the 405 down to two lanes form the usual 5. I haven't lived in SoCal since the late 80s/early 90s but it was quite the norm to see construction crews setting up at 8 PM after the rush and knock off before 6 AM. Another reason, in the case of my birthplace, it's not 115 outside. As a roofer in Phoenix (flat roofs, not the shingled kind we have out here) we'd start at 4:30, up on the roof at sunrise (around 5 AM in the summer which is when I worked that job) and knock off by 9:30 or 10. Working after hours isn't necessarily dumb, it's quite practical.
10-4 I ask contractors to show up as early as possible. I am generally sociable enough to hand out coffee and water by 5:00.
3000 k sqf for 350 new construction - dream on,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City