Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 AM

5 posts, read 14,422 times

Advertisements

Hey, just wondering if anyone thinks we are going to get alot of new people moving into the state of oklahoma due to the hurricanes in tx and louisanna or if we will get a lot of the california population due to the mortage fall out and forclosures? My uncle says that there must be 100 new homes sitting empty and his part of modesto is like a ghost town now. Makes me wonder!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM

97 posts, read 368,959 times
We had a fair number of evacuees, but most of them have since departed.

In-migration is up in the state, and people leaving California no doubt make up some percentage of that growth, though they're not landing in my particular neighborhood yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
People overall are looking at other states, especially those in CA. They are moving to yes, OK, AR and NM, just to mention a few. Not for the reasons you have given but to get back to a slower way of life.

Nita

Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 AM

Well I have lived in Calif, oregon, Ohio, Lousianna, indianna, texas and oklahoma and I can understand why anyone would want to move to the south....I was borned in Texas, I have no qualm with anyone moving into our great state of Oklahoma as long as they obey the law, respect us and our southern ways and not treat us like we are from the sticks. I think nothing bugs me more than to see the advertizements for shows like " MY Big Redneck Wedding" I know these things are humorous to alot of folks but to me its giving the world the idea that we all are like those characters on that type of program...when in truth almost all of us of the south have never been and never will be like those they protray on tv. So I welcome anyone who wants to live here but like I said " just dont treat us like we are without education, intelligence and manners.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:10 PM

422 posts, read 649,609 times
I just saw that show last night. I am in Pa and hubby and I were horrified. Hes from SC and Im from Ga.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
So tell us about a real life redneck wedding? did you go mud bogging or catfish noodling on your honeymoon?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 PM

LOL !! Well I have been mud bogging but not during a wedding...catfish noodling is as far as I am concerned a very dangerous way to fish...had a younger brother who has tried it and the catfish was back in a hole on the bank, my brother goes in and runs his hand down the length of the fish, grabs him by the gills and that sucker shot out of there and hit my brother in the gut , and almost caused him to drowned....no weddings in that one either..but i am sure the experience for my brother , was like his marriage, he was married to a gal who took no crap and could handle her own battles! Neither of them were rednecks although, both are from the south!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:29 PM

57 posts, read 237,580 times
Default ...just a humble Californian here

To hopefully make you feel better, as we plan on making our migration in about 17 months or less, we wouldn't want to change a thing!!!! We would be completely disappointed if OK changed one bit! We love it there. We want to leave our "California ways" in CA.

Take Care!

Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 PM

We are glad to get new people ...makes watching the grass grow alot less interesting and helps us put our focus on the new family in town. lol i am from a small town in oklahoma and lol here its always news when neighbors meet at the post office or at a diner or just on the porch about what so and so is doing on house or who's having new grandkids and just boring stuff to outsiders but we all love it. That part of the south is never old or dull...annoying at times but never dull. lol have a safe trip out and God bless your travels.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:59 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinemoveswhere? View Post
....... We would be completely disappointed if OK changed one bit! We love it there. We want to leave our "California ways" in CA.

Take Care!
We really appreciate that, and good neighbors are always welcome. Just don't get mad when my rooster wakes you up on your day off, don't complain because someones horse left hoof prints and free fertilizer on your driveway, and don't call the Sheriff if you get dust on your Nike shoes and matching jogging outfit gets dusty because people are driving on the dirt road you are jogging on.......

I hate going to the post office......can never get out of there in less than half an hour......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City