Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 45,823 times

Advertisements

Could someone please tell me about Tuttle and Piedmont? What cities are "Southside" and what is considered "Soggy Bottom"? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 AM

653 posts, read 1,791,827 times
I'm not too familiar with Tuttle or "Soggy Bottom".. sounds like a place I wouldn't want to live in.

As for Piedmont, what I like best is that crime is next to none here, very little happens. That's not to say you shouldn't lock your house or car, but crime is definitely not an issue. Do you have kids? The Piedmont School system in my opinion is average. A bit over rated, my son is going into grade 11, he'll need some remedial help this summer because in my opinion, he's not received the attention is deserves to get an IEP (Individual Education Program). I hear there is a drug problem at the high school but not to the degree that other districts have. A Walmart grocery store is going in just south of town, that will help in cutting down drive time to the city where the closest is a store on Northwest Expressway and Council. Restaurants are of the local variety which aren't bad. The Piedmont Diner is a good place to meet the locals and enjoy a great breakfast. They have a mix of Chinese and American faire for the rest of the day.

If you are a church goer, you'll have several to choose from including the Baptist church which is the largest. Piedmont definitely is a conservative town with conservative values.. keep that in mind if your otherwise, not that they still wouldn't welcome you, you'll just be seriously outnumbered. I have noticed that as is the case these days in most other towns across America, you'll need to "plug in" with either church or a civic organization like the Kiwanis (spelling?) to get to know people. Folks seem to be a bit to themselves here otherwise but not downright stand offish and cliqueish like a few other communities near by.

Another thing to consider.. Piedmont is in a severe weather alley. It seems like we get our fair share of storms through here. I live just northwest of town and we have been narrowly missed by tornadoes 4 times since 1996.

Property values have come down about 10-15% since the recession started. You can get some good buy's here. Overall, I think you would be happy here. The big thing is it's safe. There are plenty of cops to ensure that... maybe too many.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:21 AM

593 posts, read 1,798,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
I'm not too familiar with Tuttle or "Soggy Bottom".. sounds like a place I wouldn't want to live in.

As for Piedmont, what I like best is that crime is next to none here, very little happens. That's not to say you shouldn't lock your house or car, but crime is definitely not an issue. Do you have kids? The Piedmont School system in my opinion is average. A bit over rated, my son is going into grade 11, he'll need some remedial help this summer because in my opinion, he's not received the attention is deserves to get an IEP (Individual Education Program). I hear there is a drug problem at the high school but not to the degree that other districts have. A Walmart grocery store is going in just south of town, that will help in cutting down drive time to the city where the closest is a store on Northwest Expressway and Council. Restaurants are of the local variety which aren't bad. The Piedmont Diner is a good place to meet the locals and enjoy a great breakfast. They have a mix of Chinese and American faire for the rest of the day.

If you are a church goer, you'll have several to choose from including the Baptist church which is the largest. Piedmont definitely is a conservative town with conservative values.. keep that in mind if your otherwise, not that they still wouldn't welcome you, you'll just be seriously outnumbered. I have noticed that as is the case these days in most other towns across America, you'll need to "plug in" with either church or a civic organization like the Kiwanis (spelling?) to get to know people. Folks seem to be a bit to themselves here otherwise but not downright stand offish and cliqueish like a few other communities near by.

Another thing to consider.. Piedmont is in a severe weather alley. It seems like we get our fair share of storms through here. I live just northwest of town and we have been narrowly missed by tornadoes 4 times since 1996.

Property values have come down about 10-15% since the recession started. You can get some good buy's here. Overall, I think you would be happy here. The big thing is it's safe. There are plenty of cops to ensure that... maybe too many.
We visited my husband's family that moved to Piedmont and we ate that cafe for breakfast..Oklahoma has great places to eat...

We were there a week, and everyday we had to drive 15-20 miles to shop. I told my husband on the way home that I didn't think they'd stay there long (they're city slickers!) and within 2 months they moved to OK city....They wanted to live in the country and bought 2 acres...Well, 2 acres of forested land is one thing, but 2 acres of Oklahoma grassland was too much for my 63 year old BIL... They joined the large Baptist church there and still attend there...

We looked a quite a few homes while there and was just shocked at what we could buy there compared to California...I think I'd like it there, but might need to be near shopping...

Now we have a horrible economy and moving isn't wise right now. My husband contacted 2 job agencies there and neither one has called him...We're still hoping to get out of Dodge someday...

Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 PM

279 posts, read 1,015,566 times
Piedmont is GREAT! Ive lived there for a long time and recently moved. But the city is great and there is no crime. The cops are kinda ruff and you can ask anyone in the town of around 6000 theyll tell you. haha. The school system is great. I went there my freshman year and they really prepare you for the future.

I dont know anything about Tuttle.
Sorry!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,731,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureArchitect View Post
Piedmont is GREAT! Ive lived there for a long time and recently moved. But the city is great and there is no crime. The cops are kinda ruff and you can ask anyone in the town of around 6000 theyll tell you. haha. The school system is great. I went there my freshman year and they really prepare you for the future.

I dont know anything about Tuttle.
Sorry!
Please, share with us the name of one Piedmont cop that is "rough"? Oh, and by the way I know every single one of them. They will write you a ticket for speeding. No doubt about that. But if you knew how many fatal accidents there have been in Piedmont all due to excessive speed in the past 5 years you'd be thanking them for trying to keep folks safe.

There have been zero complaints about excessive force in the same time period. It's a small town police department and they do a great job with what they have to work with.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 PM

653 posts, read 1,791,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Please, share with us the name of one Piedmont cop that is "rough"? Oh, and by the way I know every single one of them. They will write you a ticket for speeding. No doubt about that. But if you knew how many fatal accidents there have been in Piedmont all due to excessive speed in the past 5 years you'd be thanking them for trying to keep folks safe.

There have been zero complaints about excessive force in the same time period. It's a small town police department and they do a great job with what they have to work with.

They most likely will write you a ticket IF your not from that town AND your going more than about 7mph over the limit. I have been pulled over 4 times since I have lived here and thank God, never had a ticket.. just a warning, one time I was going 12 over.. the cop was very nice about it and let me go.
Thankfully, I haven't had a ticket since 1991. I've driven close to a half million miles since then... real lucky. I can almost guarantee you though that if you speed from one end of the town to the other doing at least 7mph or more over.. you will get busted. There is at least 2 of them out and about 24/7 somewhere in the community.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,262 times
I graduated from Piedmont. My 3 girls went to elementary school there. But due to the busing in of lower income students the school is becoming over ran with drugs and thugs. The cops do harrass you if you do not know you. Not as good as a community as it once was.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyinyourradio View Post
A Walmart grocery store is going in just south of town, that will help in cutting down drive time to the city where the closest is a store on Northwest Expressway and Council.
Can you tell me when and where this is going in at?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:54 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,731,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traemac View Post
Can you tell me when and where this is going in at?
No they can't. It was an unfounded rumor. They are building a very large convenience store/deli/gas station at the corner of Piedmont Rd. and Northwest Highway. That's on the northeast corner where they just finished tearing down that old gas station and house...

Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 PM

4 posts, read 14,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkandpk03 View Post
I graduated from Piedmont. My 3 girls went to elementary school there. But due to the busing in of lower income students the school is becoming over ran with drugs and thugs. The cops do harrass you if you do not know you. Not as good as a community as it once was.
You make the schools sound bad, they're not. They are better than any other in the area, Edmond and Deer Creek included. There is no school district immune to the idiots that use drugs, Piedmont schools are better off than the rest. I have three children going to the schools here and they love it. A lot better than the Edmond schools they were in before.
As for the police, lately things seem to have been changing. They hired a new captain, a retired officer from the city I think. The Cops are going through the neighborhoods a lot now. They are even stopping and just talking to people. I asked one why they were driving through, thinking he was searching for someone. He said he was just patrolling the neighborhood, that’s a nice change. The officer’s in all seem a lot friendlier too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City