Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,250 times

Advertisements

I was starting to get into hog hunting with my dogs in Texas when I had to relocate to Wichita, KS. Needless to say, hunting laws are very strict in KS even though we have feral hogs and hog hunting with dogs is not yet in vogue here so I'm looking to Oklahoma where I know it's done there. Is there anyone who hunts hogs with dogs? I would love to put my dog in on a hog again after a long time being away from the hunting scene. I'm also looking to possibly purchase a catahoula or a bmc or some kind of hog hunting dog pup. Please contact me direct at: TedH71@yahoo.com if you know of a bay pen or someone who is willing to have me tag along on a hunt since I am deaf but I can talk in spoken English and sign language. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,623,945 times
Hi TedH71. We need a lot more hog hunters in our neck of the woods. We have some land we raise hay on and the hogs make such a mess and do so much damage. Plus, they are dangerous. I would hate to meet one of them when riding my horse.

I love wild animals but these pigs are not wild animals like bunnies or prairie dogs. They are escaped domestic animals over a long period of time. They are dangerous and damage property. Sometimes hunting is necessary.

We don't hunt ourselves but have some hunters who hunt them, some with dogs and some without. One hunter, our main one, had some dogs injured by these mean hogs so he had to get a larger pack. Is a bay pen a pack of dogs?

You might want to check this area out for hunting. I am sure the hunters would want to meet you in person first for safety reasons. Just google Lamar, OK, and look at the map to look at the terrain around here.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:12 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
We have a careless farmer who has hogs that get loose all the time. I saw a sow running across the pasture with about 7 little spotted piglets. They looked so funny.

About 2 years ago we came home and a great big fat black hog was standing in my yard eating something. I thought I could scare it away by yelling, but it just ignored me. So I picked up a rock and threw it.

It hit him square on the nose. He got mad and turned towards me, and I thought, OMG-what I have I done now. Just then my 12 year old male german shepherd ran up and stood next to me growling and barking like crazy.

Luckily, the hog had a change of heart and left peacefully.

I guess you want to go towards Calvin to find a lot of wild hogs.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:34 AM

That's a good dog you had there, Redbird. The hogs I have been having trouble with are north and a little east of Lamar. There are probably some near Calvin too.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:34 PM

My apologies for not replying faster. Turns out I forgot to turn on the instant email notification feature. Oh well. At this time, I only have one dog..a blue lacy and my other hog dog is a catahoula that is in training in Texas. Have to have a catch dog or two before really getting into hunting so that's why I'm looking for a hunting partner or two. I'll do the city research. Bay pen is just a pen where you put a hog in for a puppy to learn how to control the said hog. Much safer than putting an inexperienced pup in the woods and get injured or killed first time out.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 AM

They took a 350 lb hog the other night. I always heard of wild hogs in Love County. That may be convenient for you to visit since it is right off I-35.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:23 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Default Hog hunting regulations

This might help with the regulations. You don't want to step off into some trouble. Them jayhawks are fair game come BIG 12 playoffs.

Feral Hog Hunting (http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hoghunting.htm - broken link)

GENERAL REGULATIONS FOR hogs (broken link)

Old 11-15-2007, 11:44 AM

Thanks. Seems it is simple enough. Hunting license during deer season and no licenses when deer season is over. Same thing in Texas. Not so in KS.

Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM

5 posts, read 48,693 times
Hello new to the forum and from Nebraska we went to Oklahoma last year to hunt hogs and it was fun, but we were on our own hunting on private ground not knowing how to hunt them we just walked ended up shooting one out of the two sows we saw. just wondering if anyone from Oklahoma wouldn't mind 5 or 6 hunters from Nebraska to come down and try to shoot some hogs on their land. We don't have a lot of money we do it for the sport, meat and experience. We all are very responsible, safe, and enviroment friendly hunters that love to hunt, but can't afford the guided service would love to try and take care of any pest or vermit problem anyone would have. please email me at cdeisley@oaconsulting.com if you can help.
thanks

Old 01-07-2008, 11:47 AM

If you got one hog then you are doing well. We are trying to get rid of the wild hogs on our land and we have had maybe two or three taken care of in the last year. Meanwhile, who knows how many new ones have been born!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma