Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:18 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times

Advertisements

Bassfish,

Being deaf since I was a baby, I pretty much know what I can and can't handle. With that being said, when you hunt with dogs...you have your strike dogs and help dogs then your catch dogs which go with you and they will tell you where the hogs are at because the strike/bay/help dogs are barking and harrassing the hogs keeping them occupied until you arrive with the catch dog to let the catch dog do it's job catching the hog. I have a son who is hearing and when he is old enough, he will help me out. He's 2 years old...almost 3. We start them early in the woods...around 4 to 5 years old, ha. That'll give me enough time to get a hunting team raised and then trained before he's old enough to go. Just have to find hunting land first. I still have my semi-retired blue lacy.

As for fishing, oddly enough, I never did like bass...they don't taste good..I prefer catfish though! the area where you live in is a beautiful area!

debbie at bouontiful,

Feral hogs are more delicious than domestic hogs, IMHO. They eat what they can so therefore the pork is more lean and healthier with no shots or anything or any injections to make them grow bigger faster. Only thing you need to sometimes worry about...I haven't experienced it myself but was told by others that boars' meat can sometimes be rank tasting due to their testerone then again I've been told it's because they weren't castrated then allowed to have the hormones leach out in 30 days or was told they were harvested the wrong way. Who knows...it applies only to hogs over 250 lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to you and your family. I'm new to the site and find the forums good and interesting to read. I have also heard alot about the wild hog population growing in Oklahoma but yet to this day have seen any while out hunting. I think the main reason my son and I havn't seen any is because we dont have any place to hunt except for public land which is over populated with hunters and vehicles running up and down the road. If you have land and over populated with hogs we would love for the chance to hunt hogs on private land. Not only are we wanting to hunt for the sport but also for the meat. I'm a single parent and a teacher in tulsa and lets face it I love working with kids lol I'm definatly not there for the money since oklahoma is one of the lowest in the US for teacher pay rate. So if you have land getting torn up due to being over populated by hogs email us. [EMAIL="freeman1126@yahoo.com"]freeman1126@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] Me and my son would love to come hunt some hogs and fill our freezer. we would also fill yours for letting us hunt. Thanks for your time Jimmie

Quitting is NOT an option
TRYING your best is
Coach Jones

Old 12-23-2009, 08:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman1126 View Post
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas to you and your family. I'm new to the site and find the forums good and interesting to read. <portion of text deleted to save space>
Thanks for your time Jimmie

Quitting is NOT an option
TRYING your best is
Coach Jones
Welcome to the okie forums, Coach.

We are in Hughes County. Most of the people south and east of us have sightings of wild hogs. I have seen some in our pasture, but they primarily run towards Calvin where there are more trees and less dense population.

The main reason I never answer these queries is because the hogs can run into the next land owners section and almost everyone in these parts has livestock and horses. So I don't want to invite hunters when I know the hogs are going to run across fence lines.

If I see a lot of sign in the next few months, I will contact one of you guys who keep posting.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:17 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,807 times
My problem with hunters is that I have cows, horses,dogs etc.... and I have had people begging for hunting rights on my property. Well, giving hunting rights means keeping the dogs tied, the horses corraled and praying for my cows. I have seen hunters in this area ready to shoot at anything before they know what it is. I had a delivery man take down a turkey on my front yard! I guess I said it was alright but he had the gun and I didn't!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE, the most are not like that but one mistake could cost me a beloved pet. Now, I have let hunters on for a day not a season and that has worked out. This past year I had our "hay man" want rights, big bucks he wanted to even pay I thought about it hard until I realized he was wanting to put up hunting huts, growing feed for the deer and my property was basically going to be a home away from home. I could not hand black power or bow and arrow at all. That was not going to work so i told him if he wanted to hunt hogs (for a day or two) even deer.... let me know and I would lock up my dogs and horses and move the cows to an upper lot. Anyway, I had 11 hogs taken off the hills. I live in a hilly area.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:00 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,921 times
Debbie,

Most hog dog hunters don't use guns on hogs unless the hog is trying to kill the dogs, humans, and livestock. I had a friend who was hired to kill a livestock killing hog who learned if he rammed pregnant cows..they would abort eventually then he would eat the fetus. Took him several days hunting him with dogs to finally capture him. He was trap savvy. Most hog dog hunters use primarily knives. If they offer to use bow/arrow..spears..tell 'em no. If you have livestock, tell 'em if their dogs chase your livestock, they're not welcome and that you'll take them to court over loss of livestock. Most hog dog hunters have their dogs broke off on cattle. Go with traps first and after they get the stupid young pigs and their mothers...go with hog dog hunters because they are the ones that get the trap wise wary and aggressive boar hogs that you want gone in the first place. I don't hunt deer...have no interest or patience to sit and wait for the deer to arrive. I prefer excitement which hogs certainly give me!

Redbird,

If you are looking for hog dog hunters who will hunt hogs in a short acreage...ask them to run cur dogs or extremely hot nosed hounds. That means they run only the freshest and hottest tracks and will come back as soon as the scent goes away. If they have plotts or any other hounds...they are looking for a long race unless the hounds are silent on track but then again hounds tend to take old scents and work them from there. Cur dogs don't take old tracks and don't like to run extremely long races so they're perfect for small acreages. In reality, go with trapping and let the neighbors deal with the trap savvy boars.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 11,398 times
Default Oklahoma hog hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
I hate those hogs, they dig up everything. I had a guy trap 11 off my property a few months ago. he offer to give me one, no way I only eat domestic pig and not really a fan of that. Raising cattle, we are beef eaters.

I see hogs all the time, they are black hogs on my property. Behind me s thousands of undevelope land is probably why I have so many.
\
If people need someone to hunt hogs let me know myself and a couple of my hunting parters can come down a get rid of thoughs hogs

Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM

3 posts, read 11,398 times
will help with the hog problem

Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,345 times
Hi my name is joe bessen i run a state licensed hunting preserve in illinois have been looking to go hog hunting with soom of my members would appreciate any information were to go in Ok would be willing to host bird hunters in exchange for hog hunting [email]joe_bessen@yahoo.com[/email] 8155453982

Old 12-25-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,940 times
I live in South West Mo. Retired and looking for a place to hunt Wild hogs, just need to find the place as I have too much time on my hands(wife says get a hobby or a job) 308-440-9140 I respect the land and landowner wishes If I hunt with more than myself I always Okay it with the landowner first.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:15 PM

3 posts, read 7,940 times
Let me know your location and what you need and I will get back to you soon as I am retired and have lots of time on my hands . the wife thinks I need a hobby or a JOB , hog hunting sounds alot more fun let me know if I can help..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma