Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbath4Ever View Post
I like the pork BBQ and the wife likes Beef. I havent tried any of the BBQ joints yet as i was reading some reviews of them and they werent any good. Having been spoiled in South Carolina with the Bessinger family that has places there. We did at Napoli's (sp) behind Taco Bell and loved it, very nice Italian place. There was only like 4 other people in there so we were scared, but it was excellent. The China buffet on Grand was good also. We will try Eduardos next
On the BBQ, Jake's is pretty standard fare but they give you a boatload of food. More than most BBQ joints. Eat in the place.

Roy's is a dump (worse than Pa Pa's) but it has been owned by a black family in town that has had it for a long time. Again, I would do carry out only from them, but their Q has some unique flavor. However, portions are slimmer than Jake's.

Eduardo's is pretty tame Mexican. It's not as good as the place by the old Hotel but it's not bad.

Oh, and I forgot, go to Ken's in Amber (15 minutes north of town on the way to Tuttle). Excellent steaks and ribs, but call ahead before you go. Ken's is an institution in that area. This is a must do. Tell Ken you came from far away to visit his place and he will then tell you where other people have come from to eat at his place and what famous people have eaten there. Ken likes to talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,510,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
On the BBQ, Jake's is pretty standard fare but they give you a boatload of food. More than most BBQ joints. Eat in the place.

Roy's is a dump (worse than Pa Pa's) but it has been owned by a black family in town that has had it for a long time. Again, I would do carry out only from them, but their Q has some unique flavor. However, portions are slimmer than Jake's.

Eduardo's is pretty tame Mexican. It's not as good as the place by the old Hotel but it's not bad.

Oh, and I forgot, go to Ken's in Amber (15 minutes north of town on the way to Tuttle). Excellent steaks and ribs, but call ahead before you go. Ken's is an institution in that area. This is a must do. Tell Ken you came from far away to visit his place and he will then tell you where other people have come from to eat at his place and what famous people have eaten there. Ken likes to talk.
Never eaten there, but I'm gonna have to try it now. Thanks for the tip.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,338,397 times
I did my undergrad college stint at USAO in Chickasha and my dad was a professor at the university. I had a great time there (late 80s) but didn't care a whole lot for the town itself outside of campus life.

If you didn't like Paw Paw's, JW Grill is good (as I remember it, if it is still even there.)

USAO is actually quite a fine university, especially since they got their new president. At least when I was going there they had a great art department and science department.

Not the greatest town, but I am nostalgic for it at times.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 AM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,500 times
I got my two undergraduate degrees from OCLA (1973) and USAO (1979, I think it was) in Chickasha. I really liked going to school there. Living on campus there while getting my first degree was lots of fun.

JW Grill is still there, and it's still serving great burgers and massive orders of fries. Their breakfasts are excellent, too. We eat there a couple of times a month on our way to OKC or Tulsa. (Beats Paw Paw's by a country mile!)

Old 03-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I got my two undergraduate degrees from OCLA (1973) and USAO (1979, I think it was) in Chickasha. I really liked going to school there. Living on campus there while getting my first degree was lots of fun.
Yes, I did have a blast when I went there. I didn't start my bachelor's degree until 1986, but my father was already teaching there in 1979. We moved to Chickasha from Minnesota in 1978 so my parents could be closer to THEIR parents who lived in Tulsa and Blanchard. You may well have known or had a class with my old man. Of course, I hesistate to post names on internet forums...

Quote:
JW Grill is still there, and it's still serving great burgers and massive orders of fries. Their breakfasts are excellent, too. We eat there a couple of times a month on our way to OKC or Tulsa. (Beats Paw Paw's by a country mile!)
Glad to hear JW is still there. It sure isn't good for you from a health/nutritional standpoint, but man, that is yummy stuff and good for a treat now and then.

Another place I went to a lot back then was Tully's Doughnuts which was on 4th street (I think, if I remember right) close to the old downtown area. They made these sort of big, flat crispy cinnamon rolls they called "elephant ears." Oh man....

Duncan's a pretty nice town. My wife has an aunt and some cousins who live there. I remember when Godfathers Pizza first came to the state my dad drove us from Chickasha to Duncan to eat there a couple of times.

The two food-related things I miss most from Oklahoma are Bangkok Palace (in Tulsa, near the Homeland on 36th and Harvard)--great buffet!--and Coney I-Lander (also Tulsa-based.) I've eaten hot dogs from one end of this country to the other including the famous NY and Chicago dogs from several well-known establishments. But for my money, I have never had any dog that beats Coney I-Lander.

Oh, and my wife really misses Braums and Del Rancho.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, I did have a blast when I went there. I didn't start my bachelor's degree until 1986, but my father was already teaching there in 1979. We moved to Chickasha from Minnesota in 1978 so my parents could be closer to THEIR parents who lived in Tulsa and Blanchard. You may well have known or had a class with my old man. Of course, I hesistate to post names on internet forums...

Glad to hear JW is still there. It sure isn't good for you from a health/nutritional standpoint, but man, that is yummy stuff and good for a treat now and then.

Another place I went to a lot back then was Tully's Doughnuts which was on 4th street (I think, if I remember right) close to the old downtown area. They made these sort of big, flat crispy cinnamon rolls they called "elephant ears." Oh man....

Duncan's a pretty nice town. My wife has an aunt and some cousins who live there. I remember when Godfathers Pizza first came to the state my dad drove us from Chickasha to Duncan to eat there a couple of times.

The two food-related things I miss most from Oklahoma are Bangkok Palace (in Tulsa, near the Homeland on 36th and Harvard)--great buffet!--and Coney I-Lander (also Tulsa-based.) I've eaten hot dogs from one end of this country to the other including the famous NY and Chicago dogs from several well-known establishments. But for my money, I have never had any dog that beats Coney I-Lander.

>>>>>
<<<<<

Amen and Amen. Doesn't get more Oklahoma than Braums/Del Rancho.

Also, if you're a Coney connoisseur like me you gotta try Coits next time you're in OK City.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:59 AM

>>>>>
<<<<<

And I forgot to mention that I totally agree with you about Duncan. Great town except for all those fat oil hogs at Haliburton!

If I were to live out of the city again, Duncan would be one of the towns I would considering moving to.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
And I forgot to mention that I totally agree with you about Duncan. Great town except for all those fat oil hogs at Haliburton!

If I were to live out of the city again, Duncan would be one of the towns I would considering moving to.
Yes, Duncan is liveable.

I am happy to not be in Oklahoma any longer, but as I said this is due primarily to the weather.

I think if I were to go back there I would look around Tahlequah. I've always been more at home in the Tulsa area than OKC (although OKC has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years and the last time I was in Tulsa 3-4 years back it was so torn up with construction it looked like a post-nuclear wasteland and you couldn't get from one place to another very easily at all.)

I liked Norman okay and have a lot of friends there still, but I spent a lot of time there already. (Got my master's at OU.)

Grove is another relatively pretty little town.

I dunno...if I absolutely had to return to that area of the country, I'd probably shoot for Fayetteville, Arkansas. It's got more hills and scenery, is a trifle cooler in the Summer, has a college town vibe and a cool history.

Again, I don't mean to knock Oklahoma or that region. There are definitely things to recommend it; it's just not for me. Can't take the heat and now that I'm an hour or so away from the Pacific Ocean I don't know that I could give that up easily. The Oregon Coast is phenonemally beautiful, the beaches are 100% public access and most of the year they are very uncrowded.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Yes, Duncan is liveable.

I am happy to not be in Oklahoma any longer, but as I said this is due primarily to the weather.

I think if I were to go back there I would look around Tahlequah. I've always been more at home in the Tulsa area than OKC (although OKC has changed a lot over the past 10-15 years and the last time I was in Tulsa 3-4 years back it was so torn up with construction it looked like a post-nuclear wasteland and you couldn't get from one place to another very easily at all.)

I liked Norman okay and have a lot of friends there still, but I spent a lot of time there already. (Got my master's at OU.)

Grove is another relatively pretty little town.

I dunno...if I absolutely had to return to that area of the country, I'd probably shoot for Fayetteville, Arkansas. It's got more hills and scenery, is a trifle cooler in the Summer, has a college town vibe and a cool history.

Again, I don't mean to knock Oklahoma or that region. There are definitely things to recommend it; it's just not for me. Can't take the heat and now that I'm an hour or so away from the Pacific Ocean I don't know that I could give that up easily. The Oregon Coast is phenonemally beautiful, the beaches are 100% public access and most of the year they are very uncrowded.
Totally understand where you're coming from. I lived on the West Coast for a while and their were some parts of northern California that I thought were just about the prettiest places I had seen anywhere.

Tahlequah is a great town too. Fayetteville is a cool; kinda like a prettier/more wooded version of Norman.

I've moved back to Oklahoma to take care of my folks who are getting up there in age. The greatest asset of Oklahoma is its people. That's what I missed the most.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I lived on the West Coast for a while and their were some parts of northern California that I thought were just about the prettiest places I had seen anywhere.
Yes. As I've said, I have traversed this country northsoutheastwest and all over my entire life, and I've been to Canada, Mexico and a few Central/Eastern European countries. I find something good about every place I've visited or lived in, but Oregon just has a little of everything...desert, rivers, mountains and woods everywhere, numerous mountains from rolling hills to majestic ranges and, of course, the coast. Love far NorCal as well, up above Sacramento. I'd definitely consider that area, but I think the cost of living is better in Oregon.

Quote:
I've moved back to Oklahoma to take care of my folks who are getting up there in age.
Yeah, I lived in Oklahoma when I was very young, then we moved and I lived in several places (mainly Minnesota) until my parents did what you did and returned to Oklahoma to care for their parents. Someday I may be doing the same (though I'm trying to talk my parents into moving out here!)

Quote:
The greatest asset of Oklahoma is its people. That's what I missed the most.
I can't argue with you there. Oklahoma has some great, friendly, open people. It's different in that respect than many other places I've been. People talk about the "Southern Hospitality" of the Deep South, and to some extent it does exist, but I have encountered real racism in the Deep South and there is also an element of "You aren't from around here, are you?" when you can be spotted as a Yankee or an outsider and people can be kind of closed off or not as welcoming sometimes in those circumstances. Another thing that happened to me more in the South is "So, where do you go to church?" It's an honest question, but it really seems like there's a judgment placed on you depending on your response.

In the Northeast, people are initially friendly, but they also don't want to be too forthcoming about themselves and underneath they really don't want to know much about you. People want to meet you, but it's difficult to make real friends.

Kind of similar in the Pacific Northwest--people greet you warmly mosttimes, but you know when they say "Ah, we should get together sometime and hang out...have a barbecue or something!" what they really mean is "I don't plan to ever see you outside of work" or whatever.

Obviously, these are just generalizations. There are cool people and jerks anywhere you go. But the people of Oklahoma are, in my experience and my view, very friendly, welcoming, helpful and unpretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma