Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize that Picher was just a mile from the Kansas border. My heart goes out to all those who were lost and their relatives/friends. They are in my prayers.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:20 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
OHIO News (Picher made top story).........note... the editor

Ashland News - [domain blocked due to spam]

Here's the tornado that hit.

http://www.[domain blocked due to spam].com/bigpic/mini-10be6fa097befb4f7196198aeaa84364 (broken link)
Like I said, I don't watch much news. Heck when 911 happened, I was outside working and Bjb123 had to call me several time to look at the TV. Even this morning at 7:00am I was outside trying to finish putting in the last of 9 windows and trim them out.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I didn't realize that Picher was just a mile from the Kansas border. My heart goes out to all those who were lost and their relatives/friends. They are in my prayers.
Being close to Kansas is no problem. Beats being IN Kansas.........

This is tragedy, for sure. But when I think of the folks in Burma (whatever they call it these days) it pales in comparison. 100,000+ dead from the storm, with the failure of the government to allow timely aid, 15 times that many will die of malaria, dehydration and other diseases.

Picher was a superfund buy-out. Just the dust carries lead and other heavy metals. Most residents have moved from there. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why there was anyone there during this storm. I would never invite my grandkids over, if I lived there. I would never try to find work or start a business there.......if a place is so toxic that children are at risk just being children, then why on earth is anyone still there? Maybe this tornado was God's way of saying "It's time to move."

I wonder if the insurance companies will rebuild any house there? I bet the residents can't even get a rebuild permit........

Old 05-11-2008, 03:45 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Where's "Erin Brockovich"?

Old 05-11-2008, 04:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
There was a very good article posted on that thread. Some folks refused to leave Picher. They were born there, raised there, worked there, etc. They refused the buy=out.

You are correct on Myanmar. The sinking of the red cross boat with supplies is just sickening. Those people need basic necessities like water and shelter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Being close to Kansas is no problem. Beats being IN Kansas.........

This is tragedy, for sure. But when I think of the folks in Burma (whatever they call it these days) it pales in comparison. 100,000+ dead from the storm, with the failure of the government to allow timely aid, 15 times that many will die of malaria, dehydration and other diseases.

Picher was a superfund buy-out. Just the dust carries lead and other heavy metals. Most residents have moved from there. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why there was anyone there during this storm. I would never invite my grandkids over, if I lived there. I would never try to find work or start a business there.......if a place is so toxic that children are at risk just being children, then why on earth is anyone still there? Maybe this tornado was God's way of saying "It's time to move."

I wonder if the insurance companies will rebuild any house there? I bet the residents can't even get a rebuild permit........

Old 05-11-2008, 05:51 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
What happened to Myanmar is horrible. I saw pictures on one website that showed bloated bodies in water. The government there must be corrupt as they can be to refuse aid. How could you refuse help for something like that, or even delay the help?

Old 05-11-2008, 06:00 PM

As much as it sickens me to see people in that kind of situation and their own government won't help them out. I still don't feel that its our responsibity to step in and help them iether. We have enough money problems in this country, then to be running off and helping out every Tom, Dick and Harry in the world. Our own government still hasn't done it job to take care of the folks in the south.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:57 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
As much as it sickens me to see people in that kind of situation and their own government won't help them out. I still don't feel that its our responsibity to step in and help them iether. We have enough money problems in this country, then to be running off and helping out every Tom, Dick and Harry in the world. Our own government still hasn't done it job to take care of the folks in the south.
But it sure seems to make far, far, more sense to march off to war to Iraq and Afghanistan and threaten Iraq with the same.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But it sure seems to make far, far, more sense to march off to war to Iraq and Afghanistan and threaten Iraq with the same.
Boy, you got that right. Nothing that our government has done so far makes any sence, does it?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:55 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I believe it's everyone's responsibility to step in and help. The world is too small to be provincial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma