Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 AM

208 posts, read 872,701 times

Advertisements

Does one of the states (oklahoma vs arkansas) have any particular advantage over the other for retirees or fixed incomes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 12:32 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,689 times
I am not sure what AR offers but I did find this out about Oklahoma-

Unlike in many other states, Medicaid does not provide hearing aid benefits, hospice, dentures or dental treatment to residents of Oklahoma.)

Oklahoma does not receive all the federal money it otherwise is entitled to because Oklahoma does not appropriate enough state tax money required to match available federal funds. Each state dollar spent brings in nearly three federal dollars. Oklahoma reduced its appropriation for health care by about $7 million from 2002 to 2003, even though the Medicaid population is growing.

Reduced state tax collections forced the Legislature to make budget cuts, which include eliminating some health care benefits and reducing provider payments.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 AM

Talking Fixed income/retiree

Thanks for a response,I was beginning to get worried when no one would address the question,that's normally a bad sign.I live in a very expensive state and would like to retire to a state with an affordable cost of living.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 38,337 times
Default Valuable info - Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishing View Post
I am not sure what AR offers but I did find this out about Oklahoma-

Unlike in many other states, Medicaid does not provide hearing aid benefits, hospice, dentures or dental treatment to residents of Oklahoma.)

Oklahoma does not receive all the federal money it otherwise is entitled to because Oklahoma does not appropriate enough state tax money required to match available federal funds. Each state dollar spent brings in nearly three federal dollars. Oklahoma reduced its appropriation for health care by about $7 million from 2002 to 2003, even though the Medicaid population is growing.

Reduced state tax collections forced the Legislature to make budget cuts, which include eliminating some health care benefits and reducing provider payments.
That's really some good information to know. Thank you very much.
Dave

Old 01-28-2007, 01:05 PM

184 posts, read 1,212,689 times
Oops, I just posted on another thread....as I hadn't seen your question.
thaought you lmight like this:

Taxes in State of OK-

For Senior Citizens -I understand there is a Senior freeze you can also get so your taxes don't increase as long as you own the property.

Disabled vets and their surviving spouse get a property tax waiver, if property is eligible for homestead exemption. (no age or income limitation.)

Some over 65 can qualify for "double homestead exemption" if the the gross household income from all sources did not exceed $20,000 for the past calendar year.

P.S. Here are the Medicaid benefits we have available to us (by state) [url]http://www.kff.org/medicaid/benefits/service.jsp?yr=2&cat=4&nt=on&sv=39&so=0&tg=0[/url] (Granted it is 2004 info) but hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 AM

14 posts, read 51,332 times
Hi! As Much as I have been bragging on Poteau LOL I really think that Arkansas benifits are much better for limited income/disabled. I lived in Fort Smith Ark for 15 years and never had any trouble with their medicaid program,in Oklahoma if you have a sooner care ( Ok Medicad) then the some of the Drs. do not want to take it. I might just be because of the area that I am in (right on the border of Ark) I would love to see what input others have on the subject (((HUGS))) Mel

Old 02-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Cool OK vs Arkansas?

Thank you, some things only a native would know.I have noticed that property prices seem to raise as soon as you step over the state line and I have wondered why?I lived in a similiar situation in Kansas/MO,one side much more expensive than the other-KS had much higher taxes but much better schools.This also affected appreciation.It does seem Arkansas is lobbying harder to get the senior dollar in their relocation advertizing.I'm glad this thread resurfaced,I bet others in the senior or disabled category will look at it.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,357,036 times
They will freely pull your teeth though, but I guess then you will have to gum your way through life.

Hopefully, being retireed you don't have to apply for medicaid. Of course you can get supplemental insurance from AARP and maybe that will pay for eye and dental care. It is about $100 a month.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
We too are wondering the same thing. As for medicaid, I don't think that is an issue. Even though many of us are on small fixed incomes medicaid isn't in the picture, or I hope not. Maybe Ar is a better bet for some of us. thanks for the answers.

NMnita

Old 05-14-2007, 06:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
They will freely pull your teeth though, but I guess then you will have to gum your way through life.

Hopefully, being retireed you don't have to apply for medicaid. Of course you can get supplemental insurance from AARP and maybe that will pay for eye and dental care. It is about $100 a month.
Isn't OK one of the states that AARP also has their pilot program which will insure anyone over 50? Does anyone know anything about it?

Also, what do most Okies do for medical insurance? Do you have it with your employer or do you have several companies that are in the state so there's a bit of competition and it's affordable?

NMNita, don't give up on OK yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma