Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:13 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
No where near as bad as Utah, or some of the states in the northeast. Have you ever tried to buy ANY alcohol in Kansas on Sunday? No. Not even 3.2 beer.
Utah is often ranked the state with the harshest alcohol laws, but it really doesn't affect the drinker other than the ban on kegs. Utah has state controlled alcohol stores and bars/restaurants much drive to them and buy their alcohol at retail prices. I've also heard obtaining an alcohol license takes forever. But you can buy whatever you want, except for a keg, even on Sundays.

Every state has dry countys and Kansas has more dry counties than any other state, but you can buy on Sundays since 2005.

In Oklahoma, due to a franchising law, no where in the state can you find non-3.2 domestics such as Bud, Miller, etc. Obviously beer snobs have no problem with that, but bud light is still the most popular beer and you cannot find it full strength. I believe Oklahoma has the strictest laws because again you cannot buy the most popular beers and on Sundays you cannot by any alcohol other than 3.2 beer. Also a brewery cannot sell a craft beer on premise higher than 3.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 04:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

In Oklahoma, due to a franchising law, no where in the state can you find non-3.2 domestics such as Bud, Miller, etc. Obviously beer snobs have no problem with that, but bud light is still the most popular beer and you cannot find it full strength. I believe Oklahoma has the strictest laws because again you cannot buy the most popular beers and on Sundays you cannot by any alcohol other than 3.2 beer. Also a brewery cannot sell a craft beer on premise higher than 3.2.
But you can buy liquor by the drink in bars and restaurants on Sunday in a number of counties in Oklahoma. One of the bigger counties, Garfield, where Enid is, will be voting later this year to legalize liquor by the drink on Sunday. If Stillwater can do that as it did last November, then surely Enid can. It's worked out well. It's nice that some bars have chosen their new freedom to open on Sundays, and how you can finally order a drink in a restaurant on Sunday without the embarrassment of being told it can't be done. Before hand, it surely must have left Sunday visitors with a bad, backward impression of Oklahoma and Stillwater. Counties that legalized liquor by the drink have had the option to include it on Sundays as well since the mid 1980s. It's simply amazing how only now some of them are finally thinking the time is right to try doing that.

No, Oklahoma doesn't have the strictest laws. This is because in every county liquor stores can open.

3.2% beer needs to be abolished. Once again, I don't know who it would hurt, unless it's the liquor stores. On alcohol related issues, legislators need to serve the will of the people, not just liquor store owners

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-27-2013 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 06:39 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But you can buy liquor by the drink in bars and restaurants on Sunday in a number of counties in Oklahoma. One of the bigger counties, Garfield, where Enid is, will be voting later this year to legalize liquor by the drink on Sunday. If Stillwater can do that as it did last November, then surely Enid can. It's worked out well. It's nice that some bars have chosen their new freedom to open on Sundays, and how you can finally order a drink in a restaurant on Sunday without the embarrassment of being told it can't be done. Before hand, it surely must have left Sunday visitors with a bad, backward impression of Oklahoma and Stillwater. Counties that legalized liquor by the drink have had the option to include it on Sundays as well since the mid 1980s. It's simply amazing how only now some of them are finally thinking the time is right to try doing that.

No, Oklahoma doesn't have the strictest laws. This is because in every county liquor stores can open.

3.2% beer needs to be abolished. Once again, I don't know who it would hurt, unless it's the liquor stores. On alcohol related issues, legislators need to serve the will of the people, not just liquor store owners
I grew up in Durant where finding a drink other than a 3.2 beer was difficult in the old days. Now when I go, I find great wine choices and margaritas and thought they were available on Sunday as well but not certain about that... its almost like the 21st century in Durant!

Old 07-28-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
If Stillwater can do that as it did last November, then surely Enid can. It's worked out well.
Regardless, that's a DRY TOWN/COUNTY problem not a STATE problem as other major metros such as Tulsa and OKC allow Sunday sales.

Quote:
I disagree and believe OK does indeed have the strictest...Which state(s) do you think are stricter?

Quote:
Agreed; however it's too profitable to go away.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:

I disagree and believe OK does indeed have the strictest...Which state(s) do you think are stricter?
I think any state is stricter than Oklahoma, which has counties in it where liquor stores are not allowed to open. Arkansas is one of them. Kansas is another one. Here is what wiki says about Kansas alcohol laws:

Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I think any state is stricter than Oklahoma, which has counties in it in which liquor stores are not allowed to open. Arkansas is one of them. Texas has 29 counties that are completely dry. Kansas is another one. Here is what wiki says about Kansas alcohol laws:

Kansas's alcohol laws are among the strictest in the United States. Kansas prohibited all alcohol from 1881 to 1948, and continued to prohibit on-premises sales of alcohol from 1949 to 1987. Sunday sales only have been allowed since 2005. Today, 29 counties still do not permit the on-premises sale of alcohol. 59 counties require a business to receive at least 30% of revenue from food sales to allow on-premises sale of alcohol. Only 17 counties allow general on-premises sales. Not all communities which allow off-premises sales allow sales on Sunday. Sales are prohibited on Christmas and Easter. The only alcoholic beverage which grocery stores and gas stations may sell is beer with no more than 3.2% alcohol by weight. Other liquor sales only are allowed at state-licensed retail liquor stores. Kansas has comprehensive open container laws for public places and vehicles, public intoxication laws, and requirements for prospective on-premises or off-premises licensees.

Then this is what wiki says about Oklahoma:

Oklahoma state law requires the liquor ordinances of municipalities and counties to conform to the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, and prohibits local jurisdictions from enacting penalties more severe than those of the state law. As a result, there can be no dry cities or counties in Oklahoma. (see Alcohol laws of Oklahoma)

Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I think any state is stricter than Oklahoma, which has counties in it in which liquor stores are not allowed to open. Arkansas is one of them. Texas has 29 counties that are completely dry. Kansas is another one. Here is what wiki says about Kansas alcohol laws:

Then this is what wiki says about Oklahoma:

Oklahoma state law requires the liquor ordinances of municipalities and counties to conform to the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, and prohibits local jurisdictions from enacting penalties more severe than those of the state law. As a result, there can be no dry cities or counties in Oklahoma. (see Alcohol laws of Oklahoma)
Wiki's VERY wrong...lol...There are tons of dry counties in the state of OK; the state gov's page:

Oklahoma ABLE Commission - Enforcement

Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Oklahoma's liquor laws may not be the strictest, but they infringe the most on the average consumer.

As for 'dry counties' in Oklahoma, they can still sell 3.2 beer, they just cannot have package stores or liquor by the drink. This is because 3.2 beer is legally considered a non-alcoholic drink. The definition of "near beer" was changed in the early 1930s from 0.5 abw to 3.2 abw in order to skirt prohibition.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:54 PM

I concede alcohol laws are so confusing. Let's get down to basics. So exactly what did Oklahomans have in mind in 1959 when they voted to end alcohol prohibition? I think it's well settled that it did not include removing prohibition of liquor by the drink. Are counties listed as dry because they have not approved of allowing liquor stores to open there? What's wet? What's dry? What's in between. I would define in between where there are liquor stores allowed, but not liquor by the drink. Maybe that map you put up is really in between.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 07-28-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Wiki's VERY wrong...lol...There are tons of dry counties in the state of OK; the state gov's page:

Oklahoma ABLE Commission - Enforcement
But that map shows Johnston County as dry. Tishomingo is a town in Johnston County. Yet, I find there are at least two liquor stores listed for that town. Or do you consider it the same as dry, since liquor by the drink is prohibited there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma