Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 05:26 PM

15 posts, read 61,348 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recommend a certain type of cell phone provider for Bellevue and Omaha? I want to buy a pre paid phone, no contract. Virgin Mobile has a limited call area, and all the websites say Sprint is good and then verizon wireless. Sprint is all contracts where verizon has a pre paid no contract option so that seems to be the best one. I heard ATT drops calls too many times.

Has anyone had any issues with verizon wireless pre paid service in Omaha? Trying to save money by not buying a contract, or monthly plan but also want something that will receive calls and will work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
I used virgin mobile and I never had an issue. Virgin Mobile uses sprint towers for their cell cervice (no it is not a roaming charge or anything). I used VM for over 2 years and commuted from Bellevue to Omaha daily and I dont recall ever not having service.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:20 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,470,609 times
I've not used them, but if I was buying one. I think the only one I would be concerned about is AT&T. I hear their service isn't great around here. I hear a lot of IPhone users complaining.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
AT&T is a NO GO. Drop calls all the time. My work cell used them...it was terrible. I am personanlly torn between two. Cricket & Boost Mobile. Cricket now has Blackberry's which is a big deal to me. Cricket also has recently gone nationwide so you can drive just about anywhere and have service. For $50 a month to talk text and web surf to your hearts content, you can't go wrong! There are a couple spots I have noticed on Cricket that are dead spots. Like 107th * "Q" St. I will drop a call there each and every time I drive through on "Q"! The Boost Mobile uses Nextel's towers. I have had awesome luck with them everywhere I have gone around town. However, Nextel is not nationwide to my knowledge so if you leave town I don't think the phone works. Just my two cents! Now, this next one has the best to offer, I just can't say how good it works. I have not used it before. Page Plus Cellular offers unlimited talk/text/web for only $44.95 and that is nationwide! Check it out here>> Prepaid Cell Phone Cards | Prepaid National Cell Phones

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,581 times
Oh yeah, and by the way, that Page Plus uses Verizon's towers!

Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
I used a tracfone for a few years until I got one for work. My wife still uses it and has no issues. I'd recommend tehm.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 AM

15 posts, read 61,348 times
Good info. I did not know some of the other providers can use the other towers so that is good.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
I can only say I wished I found this page way sooner as of now I'm in a dilemma of buying a brand new unlocked phone from Amazon

I was led to believe all I had to do was buy a SIM card from straight talk at Walmart and that seems not to be the case . ?

Does anybody know out there what plan I could get on my phone it would have to be prepaid and take a SIM card GSM

I live in Grand Island Nebraska even Best Buy said they couldn't help me out

Thanks for any help Calvin Miller

Old 06-04-2014, 03:18 PM

76 posts, read 135,355 times
Just go with a real carrier. Mine is 105$ per month (which inlcudes $8 for insurance) for 10 GB of 4g data and unlimted talk/text. Pay as you go is "unlimited" data but after 2 GB they reduce it to 3g and videos always load at 3g. I would much rather pay the extra per momth for fast service and great coverage. Currenlty have Verizon and love it. Sprint was terrible when I had it 2 years ago and would take for ever to load and always drop calls all through out Omaha, but im not sure if they have improved in the past two years. I did the pay as you go all through out highschool and the headache of saving 30-40$ per month is not worth it to me. Plus phones are much cheaper usually with 2 year contract. for example I paid $200 for iphone with two year contract at 108 per month. So over 24 months thats $2792. On a pay as you go, you pay usually 55 a month plus 800 (assuming you get new iphone like i did with verizon) for phone up front, so 2120 over 24 months. A savings $336 per year total from pay as you go, or $28 per month overall. So it's barely more for contract phone and worth it for the speed and coverage of a big company. I think my convience and comfort is worth more to me than saving some money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha