Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 12:50 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times

Advertisements

Some of you guys need to read the 1st Amendment to the Constitution and get over yourselves. Who cares how people worship? This is America, dang it. Worry about your own beliefs. I've never read so many judgmental and snotty remarks about other peoples' religious beliefs as I have on some of the threads on the Omaha forum, and you people dare to call yourselves Christians? Billiefan, you've really outdone yourself this time. You really need to get a life. Your crusading is really mean spirited and gossipy. You should have been alive during the Spanish Inquisition, you'd have fit right in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:33 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Some of you guys need to read the 1st Amendment to the Constitution and get over yourselves. Who cares how people worship? This is America, dang it. Worry about your own beliefs. I've never read so many judgmental and snotty remarks about other peoples' religious beliefs as I have on some of the threads on the Omaha forum, and you people dare to call yourselves Christians? Billiefan, you've really outdone yourself this time. You really need to get a life. Your crusading is really mean spirited and gossipy. You should have been alive during the Spanish Inquisition, you'd have fit right in.
While I agree with your point about the 1st Amendment, that same amendment also covers people voicing their opinion - including snotty remarks about how others choose to worship .

Old 08-17-2010, 08:50 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Exactly how is this different than any other church that has ask for hand outs in god's name every week?
It's reasonable to suggest that if you're gaining benefit, being fed spiritually, that you should help pay the light bill. I got no issue with my church asking for an offering.

That's much different than a church that fleeces the members by telling them that the more they give the more they get back...while the pastor wears a $3000 suit.
Quote:

All churches are their to prey upon the ignorrant and take their money.
That's a rather broad stroke you're painting there.
Quote:

Some are just better at it than others so of course it makes sense for you of a different sect of Christianity to come here and try to discourage them from taking away from your own piece of the pie.
I've got friends among a lot of denominations...it doesn't bother me if one church gets some new members. But it's interesting how you seem to think you've got us all figured out.
Quote:

The bible says tithing is the only way to "test the spirit" so if they only way god is willing to show you if he is real or not is to give him money to see if you get some sort of blessing.
That's very telling. You're all playing from the same handbook so I can only assume that this is an attempt to secure funding for your own church.
Not really. I can look at their teaching and their past failures and know they're shysters.
Quote:
I know many big churches in Omaha have lost members and or split into new churches making it harder to keep the pockets of the tricksters lined and the lights on. It makes sense to badmouth the others. Tell people who are deluded enough that they might not get into heaven when they die and they'll give you their money if you make a convincing enough argument.

My consumer protection advice would be not to go to any church. They ultimately all want your money.
Thankfully, we can see right through you and recognize that you're just bitter about church because apparently someone told you something you didn't want to hear.

Please don't lump me in with the scammers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
My father belongs to one in Fremont. The church's name is called Living word. They are insane.
If that's the one I'm thinking of, I used to know the pastor's son. We worked together for several years and used to have friendly, spirited discussions on the accuracy of those teachings. He was a good friend...but a few jobs later and a few moves later we've just kind of lost touch.

Quote:
You're right--we have freedom of religion and freedom of speech. They'd be the first to say that we are wrong. I'm sorry if that bugs you.

We aren't the only ones...I got ripped into by someone above because he doesn't like church in general. He's got that right to be wrong.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:06 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,541,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
My father belongs to one in Fremont. The church's name is called Living word. They are insane.
is the one in Fremont ur talking about Jackie Hoffman's church. she was a ex KCRO radio host and she is crazy.

KCRO and the Heartland Gatekeeper I blame for church's like Lord of Hosts cause they wont call out false teachings and false teachers in the Omaha area.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:

so, calling out false teachers is somehow wrong. I bet you go to a church like Lord of Hosts.

1 John 4:1

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessep28 View Post
Something tells me a lot of that is going to go on here: Catalyst Conference

Catalyst Conference - Preview video.

It's in a Flash sub page, so there is no real direct link, but our friend John Ortberg is going to be a speaker there. I wonder if they will have someone high dive into a kiddie pool again.

considering how much the willow creek churches love John Ortberg, wouldnt be surprised if Brookside or Trinity or StoneBridge down the line tries to pimp the word of faith garbage.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,617,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
It's reasonable to suggest that if you're gaining benefit, being fed spiritually, that you should help pay the light bill. I got no issue with my church asking for an offering.

Except that you're not really getting anything other than a warm fuzzy placebo feeling based on your own misunderstanding of your brains own innner workings. What do churches really offer that can't be found other places and for free?

Socializing - Can be done free anywhere else.
Worshipping - Ditto
Healings/Health - Hospitals/doctors offices.

Also the increasingly small social services are things that could be provided on a greater scale by the government but somehow it's wrong when the government tries to take your money to do Jesus' work. (That's another topic entirely but that's another example of how the church is out to get your money in their hands first before it goes out.) All churches (and I do mean all) are out to get your money. Some church leaders know it and some don't. The system runs the same no matter who's at the wheel.

Other than salvation there isn't any one thing the church provides that can't be found (for free) somewhere else. Except for that's not true either. There are multiple people out there claiming their own ways to salvation and they are all sure their true and everyone else's view is wrong. So pay me to tell you that this branch of salvation that I have no more tangible proof of than any other faith is real and that I'm offering you a divine warm fuzzy of inner non-hippy peace. Now pass the collection plate.

The only other groups I can think of that want to take so much of your personal time and money are cults. Religions are cults and in this country cult-lite is the preffered opiate.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Except that you're not really getting anything other than a warm fuzzy placebo feeling based on your own misunderstanding of your brains own innner workings. What do churches really offer that can't be found other places and for free?

Socializing - Can be done free anywhere else.
I don't know anywhere else where I can meet with my church familiy---all brothers and sisters in Christ. We partake of the Lord's Supper there, and minister to each other. It's more than a country club.

Maybe that's the reason you can't understand that. I'm sorry if the only representation of church you've seen is some country club that gives you warm fuzzies.
Quote:

Worshipping - Ditto
Again...I don't have anywhere else where I can go and worship God with 300 brothers and sisters on a weekly basis.
Quote:

Healings/Health - Hospitals/doctors offices.
I've certainly never suggested that this is a reason to attend church. I don't believe God heals on the command of the pastor.
Quote:
Also the increasingly small social services are things that could be provided on a greater scale by the government but somehow it's wrong when the government tries to take your money to do Jesus' work.
I think if the gov't took less of our money we could do it better. Our administrative costs are certainly much less.
Quote:

(That's another topic entirely but that's another example of how the church is out to get your money in their hands first before it goes out.) All churches (and I do mean all) are out to get your money. Some church leaders know it and some don't. The system runs the same no matter who's at the wheel.
Someone has to pay the light bill, the mortgage and pay the pastor's salary, yes. But you're being pretty dishonest here to suggest that it's just a money-making scam.
Quote:

Other than salvation there isn't any one thing the church provides that can't be found (for free) somewhere else.
Except meeting with my church family, worshiping God, and getting good Biblical teaching from the pastors that I have grown to love as brothers.

As you've done in other threads in the past, I'm not sure your intent here is to have a real discussion. When you're done trolling let me know and we can discuss it.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
is the one in Fremont ur talking about Jackie Hoffman's church. she was a ex KCRO radio host and she is crazy.

KCRO and the Heartland Gatekeeper I blame for church's like Lord of Hosts cause they wont call out false teachings and false teachers in the Omaha area.
correction I have to make:

the pastor at the Jackie Hartman (and she is a big time hyper charismatic)

she and locals in Omaha like Jay West and Juliane Christensen and Vineyard Church of Omaha among other all promote the same HYPER charismatic things that Jackie's church in Fremont and Lord of Hosts promote.

the only 3 things that can be done for people in Hyper charismatic and seeker-driven churches

1. educate them on what is being taught in their churches since discernment is never taught in many churches nowadays, nor is it even encouraged.

lack of discernment is why so many false teachers get away with what they are doing.

2. pray they and their churches will wake up to some of the false teachings being taught in their churches

3. pray those in bad churches like Lord of Hosts go find a real bible believing and bible preaching church.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:45 PM

482 posts, read 1,331,056 times
I do not really know anything about these churches and am wondering what teachings they have that are false? What are they doing to get you folks so rilled up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: