Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:18 PM

42 posts, read 97,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Weston View Post
This is a joke....right?
Not at all - Hope you didnt take it as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
I believe there are crime maps for Omaha and any other major cities available online. Usually a quick drive thru of a neighborhood can tell you if you would want to live there. Clues to look for: trash in the streets, bars on the windows of businesses, shattered glass from car windows, a lot of "For Rent" signs in yards, several payday advance places within walking distance and a few other things.

GL2

Old 11-04-2010, 03:02 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clessers View Post
DONT GO! Honestly you could probably find a house in Baghdad that is not only cheaper than the one in North O - but probably safer too... just being honest.

You didn't say much about yourself ... But I will say papillion / lavista is good stuff. Very safe "cheap" neighborhood. But be forewarned - Papillion and Lavista keep their streets looking nice by employing a large # of police officers ... so if you dont want to feel like you live in a prison ... papillion / lavista isnt your preferred hood ( and this is coming from someone who lives in papillion )

Also this site has a very good "demographics section" - I dont know how diverse you do or do not prefer your living area: So check it out.

For instance if you are personally an african american : and you want to live around a community that has a large # of african americans - then papillion probably isnt for you also.
Just saying - use the site - there is more than enough information on this site to help you pick a educated and informed decision about your living quarters.

Also remember ... if you are reading about area's in Omaha that have large steriotypes: ... believe them - because they are most likely spot on.
Are you a suburbanite?

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
He lives in Papillion. And seriously, that was the most outrageous post I've ever read. When are stereotypes ever true in any situation? You come off as slightly (very) racist.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fueledbyramen View Post
Call me a newbie, but this is the very first thread I have ever created so bear with me. Just a quick question. I am thinking about moving to Omaha, Nebraska, but on a very strict budget with home buying. I found a house I really like on Fontenelle Boulevard & also 40th & Fort, but am unsure about the area. If this isn't that great of area, what places close by are for the first time budget strict home buyers? I know beggars can't be choosers, but there surely has to be SOMETHING! I just got a new job there. & thanks, for the help anyone!
Please beware of North Omaha, it is all bad, the good parts of North Omaha are few and far between.

For $50.00 a year you can buy a house outside of Omaha and work in the City. Money well spent if you compare the cost of your life and property.

Best to come here and rent for a few months till you get settled.

If you don't believe me about North Omaha just watch the local news every night.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
Please beware of North Omaha, it is all bad
Quote:
the good parts of North Omaha are few and far between.
Contradicting yourself...funny.

Contradicting yourself in the same sentence...priceless.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM

737 posts, read 1,916,851 times
It's all true. Just don't want to see a fella make a big mistake.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happygolucky View Post
It's all true. Just don't want to see a fella make a big mistake.
Not quite. The area around forest lawn cemetery north to the interstate is about as safe of an area as you can get in Omaha. Also the northwest part of north Omaha is also decent (around alegent health near 72nd). Though by decent I am only referring to crime rates as those are the only numbers I am looking at.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:18 PM

108 posts, read 284,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Not quite. The area around forest lawn cemetery north to the interstate is about as safe of an area as you can get in Omaha. Also the northwest part of north Omaha is also decent (around alegent health near 72nd). Though by decent I am only referring to crime rates as those are the only numbers I am looking at.
Agreed. I looked at some houses right in that area and I've lived a couple miles south of there (between Military and Ames, east of Benson Park) since May. Not one incident. Good neighbors. Quiet. While it's only been a few months, the reports you hear from some might make it seem like you could expect to witness or be a victim of a violent crime weekly anywhere east of 72nd and north of Dodge. Not so in my experience. Yeah, I hear sirens from time to time, but they seem to be going west about as often as east.

40th and Fort area... higher likelihood something's going to happen near you, probably so. But odds something happens to you? Still very low in my opinion if you stay out of trouble and out of the way of troublemakers. We really only hear the bad reports because that's what makes news, but that doesn't mean that every person on every block in every northeast Omaha neighborhood is at risk!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:55 PM

42 posts, read 97,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
He lives in Papillion. And seriously, that was the most outrageous post I've ever read. When are stereotypes ever true in any situation? You come off as slightly (very) racist.
How do I come off as racist? I have said nothing against any race. People on this site troll over being so politically correct - yet we forget the reason we are posting... to give sound honest answers. I know if I moved from out of state to Nebraska, and pulled into north O... I would be pissed. I think most of you would be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha