Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:22 AM

22 posts, read 82,397 times

Advertisements

What can you tell me about La Vista, NE? I might be getting a job near there and need info. I am single, 29, and looking for some place safe to live. I currently live in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA. Or if you can suggest someplace near by that is safe and is a easy commute. I don't mind the drive and I like rural areas. I don't know how much the pay will be so I can't tell you that. I just want some place safe since I was attacked and shot at in Atlanta just for a few dollars. I need out, any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 12:09 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
LaVista is in a nice area... sandwiched between Ralston and Papillion, also both great places... Papillion was just named the 6th Best Place in the Nation by CNN/Money Magazine...

Money Magazine Article
City of Papillion
Sarpy County Tourism
Sarpy Chamber of Commerce
LaVista (http://www.lavistanebraska.com/ - broken link)
Ralston

Old 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 87,308 times
LaVista is quite safe, but I second the recommendation about Papillion. I used to live in Papillion--which is the burb just south of LaVista. I feel that Papillion would be about the safest area close to LaVista if you are sensitive about your safety. The county courthouse (very posh) is there, the county jail (don't know if it's posh or not--don't want to find out!), and I seemed to notice a higher concentration of police patrols than other areas I've lived in.

It's got a number of apartment complexes, including a fairly new one just north of 72nd & highway 370. There's also a new shopping area just south of that intersection with a Best Buy, ?Hy-vee?, Petsmart, and about a mile or two to the northwest is a Home Depot and Supertarget. My favorite auto repair shop is also there--Hamor's--not the cheapest, but always honest. Every few years I take my car there and tell them to check the whole thing over and fix everything that needs fixin' (not something that you can do without trust). My car now has over 150,000 miles on it and still hums down the highway.

Papillion's a really comfortable place to live.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:14 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
I had just posted this on another discussion, so reposting here in case it helps jumpstart things for you. Not sure if looking to rent apt/house or buy... this was geared more toward an apt question.

Here is the previous post I had made:

Here is some info that might jumpstart things for you…. This is focused on Papillion a suburban area. If looking for Rural or Urban then would have some different thoughts. More Rural would be the suggestions like Glenwood... more Urban would be the inner/older parts of Omaha (but be real careful of area if looking this direction - repost for opinions on good/bad areas)

Papillion Specific Info (can't go wrong)
Lots of Texans in Papillion and also lots of retired military end up in Papillion (didn't want to come to Nebraska but once here decided to retire and stay)

For Apartments:
-------------------
I do not live in an apartment and am not a renter, so this is not a recommendation. No idea of management quality or rents, but would be one that I would check out if I was moving into an apartment and wanted to keep rents down., but have you looked at:

Here are ones that appear to be kept up nicely, I have never heard of any problems with them, they are not large, most are in walking distance to a school and park, all are close to one of the nicest malls in the Metro area (ShadowLake Towne Center), close to churches, close to a regional park with a small lake and great outdoor amphitheatre, close to junior highs and high schools.

All in Papillion, NE (other local options being LaVista or Ralston)
The Aspens 402-592-9305;
Gold Coast apartments 1213 Gold Coast Rd 402-339-8773
Meridian Club 402-331-4242 (probably the nicest of all I've mentioned – at least from the outside);
Monarch Group 1120 Delmar;
Papillion Heights 402-331-3931;
Park Terrace 402-345-3400
Tara Hills Villa 402-339-3665; and
Village at Papillion 1605 Barrington Parkway.

There are some others in Papillion that appear a little less well kept so I did not list them. None of the ones listed are huge complexes - they are all tucked into residential areas and fit in nicely.

If after all of that you budget still needs something on the lower end there are 3 or 4 I could list as well.

For Homes:
---------------
Lower price range check the original part of Papillion. Older homes, little smaller, generally kept up well, close to schools, parks and churches.

You can also find moderate priced and also very high end homes. To buy, both previous owner and new construction. Many many options if buying.

Century 21 – Papillion has a longtime presence in the area. Also have some realtors that have been in the area a long time and you see a lot of their signs. Their number is 402-339-2001. I have no interest in this company or any of their realtors, but they are probably the most widely seen. There are other good ones as well. Check out the Chamber of Commerce directory or the local Omaha Board of Realtors for other names and options.

Misc
-----
City of Papillion: City of Papillion
Papillion LaVista Schools: Papillion-La Vista Public Schools
Sarpy Chamber of Commerce: Sarpy County Chamber of Commerce
Shadow Lake Towne Center: Shadow Lake Towne Center - Home

Hope this helps

Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 AM
FNF

23 posts, read 98,874 times
Having lived in La Vista for almost 15 years, I can say that it is among the safest, easiest, and most centrally located areas in the metro. I highly recommend it! The growth rate is out of this world too, which is good if you are looking for a new home.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Papillion and Ralston would both be good choices. Neither are "rural" if that is what you are looking for, but both are small cities (more like towns, but called cities) that put you close to downtown Omaha and not exceptionally far from west Omaha where a lot of building is still happening.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
I lived in Tara Hills Villas and they are decent apartments. They are a tad older but in fairly good condition. Parking is a pain because the lots are quite a ways from the apartments. This is because there's a central courtyard with a small pool. My biggest gripe is that it's somewhat difficult to heat the apartments but it isn't a big problem. The apartments have a lot of windows and are good sized. Maintenance is responsive and the office staff friendly. I did think they were a tad over-priced.

I currently reside in Brentwood Park Apt (La Vista, NE) and I think they are among the best I've ever lived in. The layout is excellent, the grounds are kept up and very nice. The apartments have a laundry room and are spacious. We had two mice get into the apartment but they were caught within a few days. No other problems. Maintenance is usually responsive but a tad slow from time to time. Office staff is fairly nice. Price is good for what you get. Excellent interstate access.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:35 AM

26 posts, read 137,420 times
How long have you lived at Brentwood? My daughter recently moved there. She had been living for a year in Lincoln in Black Sand apartments which is also owned by Edward Rose as is Brentwood. After getting her new job in Omaha, she commuted from Lincoln for two months so she could live in Brentwood at Lavista. The apartments do seem to be very nice and judging by the waiting list, others must be catching on. The area seems very nice too.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:36 AM

26 posts, read 137,420 times
previous message is for you. I'm sorry, still learning how to operate this forum.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Brentwood

Sorry for the late reply - haven't been on the site much lately. I've lived at Brentwood for about a year and a half. I would say they are among the best apts I've lived in and I've lived in many. The layout is great but they did cut corners on small things but that is to be expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha