Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:26 AM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times

Advertisements

There. I did it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 11:25 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,897,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
There. I did it for you.
right back at ya neighbor...ooops, evidently I've repped you recently as well.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM

109 posts, read 257,166 times
Stacy I always thought Jingoism was a term that described ultra nationalism drummed up by a small group of people in order to support a war effort that under normal circumstances would not have occurred; ie the Spanish American War. Thank you Mr. Hearst and your yellow journalism for that war, actually not so bad for America and its desire to influence world politics.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:15 PM

516 posts, read 1,338,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMinSWO View Post
Stacy I always thought Jingoism was a term that described ultra nationalism drummed up by a small group of people in order to support a war effort that under normal circumstances would not have occurred; ie the Spanish American War. Thank you Mr. Hearst and your yellow journalism for that war, actually not so bad for America and its desire to influence world politics.
That is a very specific instance of jingoism, but from what I understand it simply means ultra-nationalism in any form...so I am taking a leap and using it to refer to ultra-Omahaism in many forms!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:20 PM

98 posts, read 395,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Its often times more entertaining to be confrontational rather than civil...we did learn from our leaders you know.

HA! This is true!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:59 AM

119 posts, read 438,921 times
Quote:
For someone in graduate school you make very broad generalized arguments about about people who live in a metro area that is almost 800,000 people.
The dumbest person I know has a Masters Degree. She argues in the same way.

Just goes to show you, you can achieve anything if you put your mind to it!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
First of all welcome to Omaha. I think you'll like it here.

I think you'll find that Omaha is different than a bigger version of Bismark or Sioux Falls. Omaha has more people than the states of North Dakota or South Dakota.

Blight is when a place has gone into severe disrepair. Omaha doesn't have true blight. (See Detroit for blight.)

Also Nebraska, especially Omaha, is not at flat as you would think. Omaha is VERY hilly. If you like forest there are some pretty good parks here for that. Neale Woods just north of the City and Fottanelle Forest in Bellevue.

I'll respond a little bit more when I get home from work.
Omaha has more people than SD or ND? You must have gone to school in Omaha.... It's about half, granted, but not more than either.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:04 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,500 times
No, he's correct, depending on your definition. I'm sure he's referring to the Omaha metro...NOT Omaha proper. Its pretty pointless, in this context, to refer to Omaha proper, as if we did we could make claims that Omaha is nearly the same size as Atlanta and Miami - which is clearly not the case.

Anyway, Omaha metro is about at 900,000. As of last year, the SD estimates put it at about 800,000 and ND estimates put it at about 640,000.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 AM

226 posts, read 1,008,203 times
Dial America is on 98th & L st... They're easy to get on with but they don't pay as well as some of the others like West and Sitel...

Oriental Trading is hiring but they make you take a personality test that neither my wife nor I can figure out how to pass... You think you pick the best answers but you never pass... I dunno, maybe your wife will have better luck...

There's also InfoUSA down in Papillion...

I think you'll find Omaha to be quite a bit larger than Fargo or Sioux Falls but still a nice city, easy to navigate, affordable cost of living, don't be afraid to go east of 72nd street or even venture into North Omaha; If you do, then you'll miss out on a lot of hidden Gems... Time Out Chicken on N 30th is one of those gems... Some of the best fried chicken I've ever had...

For the Best Submarine sandwich you'll ever taste go to the Blimpie on E. Broadway in Council Bluffs (It has to be the one on E. Broadway). Its worth the gas to get over there, their subs are out of this world!

For Pizza... Go to the Valentino's Buffet (108th & O St)... Best Pizza, Pasta, Chicken, Ribs, Mexican, and more, and its like $7 per person if you get there before 4pm (double check that though).

For good Chinese on a low budget:

Ta Chan (72nd & uhh... it's across from NFM next to a Schlosky's. Some great Chinese food and $5.95 per person)

Edit: Sorry just realized this was an old thread, some useful info nonetheless

Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,557,380 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
That is a very specific instance of jingoism, but from what I understand it simply means ultra-nationalism in any form...so I am taking a leap and using it to refer to ultra-Omahaism in many forms!
I too have always associated it with some type of violence or attack on the other party (generally a foreign entity or nation)... Since I've never seen the violence associated with the hometown pride, i do think the term is used out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha